Friedman: "If I'm the Edmonton Oilers, I'm calling the Montreal Canadiens and asking for Max Pacioretty"

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
For montreals sake i hope you are right

Well, He's at 6-4-10 and is on pace for 30+ goals again with the lowest shooting percentage of his career and one of the lowest on-ice shooting percentages of his career. He'll be and is fine. He started off the season worse last year.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
This is why you don't make knee jerk trades. Dude is heating up and I believe 2 of his 6 goals are game winners.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Oilers would end up regretting any trade they make that involves Puljujarvi now.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Assuming a decent cap increase, no, it's not written in stone RNH has to go.
He also said that other measures can be looked at if salary needs to be moved out...its not a foregone conclusion that Nuge will be the cap casualty. BUT he is the most valuable of the secondary pcs that can be moved...esp with his play thus far.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
No hard feelings. You ain't getting Patches for less than that.

No hard feelings taken.

My comment had little to do with value and a lot more to do with the team's needs and make up of the roster.

Ignoring value for a moment, just the concept of adding another top 6 LW (welcome to the 3rd line Lucic or Maroon), while removing a RW prospect (position of need) on an ELC (extremely important for the team) and the team's current 2C (pls welcome your new 2C, Ryan Strome!) is very unlikely to make the team better now or in the future.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He also said that other measures can be looked at if salary needs to be moved out...its not a foregone conclusion that Nuge will be the cap casualty. BUT he is the most valuable of the secondary pcs that can be moved...esp with his play thus far.

I don't even want to think about our 2nd through 4th lines without Nugent Hopkins.

I think a much more likely scenario is Maroon is allowed to walk in free agency, Strome isn't qualified but possibly re-signed (like Schultz in Pittsburgh) and Letestu is re-signed cheaper than he's making now considering he'll be 35.

Roll with something like this next year:

Neal-McDavid-Yamamoto
Lucic-Drai-Puljujarvi
Hansen-RNH-Strome

The free agent class is pretty solid. Overpaying for wingers isn't smart at all.

Reactions: THall4

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Are you talking about James Neal,

Neal-McDavid-Yamamoto
Lucic-Drai-Puljujarvi
Hansen-RNH-Strome

He's probably getting 6 or more on the open market. So your talking

about 20.5 for the first line
at least 15.5 on the second line
11 on the third line
So a total of about 47 million bucks
let say 5 to 6 on the fourth line so now your at 53 million

On your blueline you have Nurse playing really well so he's probably looking at 4.5 to add to Sekera's 5, Klefbom, Larsson and Russell making about a combined 12 so what about 21 million. You still need another defenseman so add 2. So now your total is about $73 million, right, and you still need to add Talbots 4 and probably a back up at 1 to 2. I doubt the cap is going to go up all that much this year, so your lineup is over the cap probably by 2 to 3 million right.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hey we would like your 30 goal scorer but we'll tell you how much he sucks and that we have nothing we're willing to give up for him.

It's the premise of every thread started on this forum. They ought to have it automatically appear as the first message of every post.

They didn't get any impact NHLers. They got two good prospects, some picks, and a throw in goalie. Colorado got a good package but it's 100% futures.

You were claiming that Sakic was having all kind of trouble trying to make a move -- and you weren't wrong. Except that Sakic got a lot more than most anticipated. In the end, he reaped by being patient. As far as who won the trade, it's not always evident from the get-go but FWIW, most pundits appear to believe he got quite a haul. What you call "some picks" are a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks in a deep draft. Suits Colorado's identity as a rebuilding club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad