Proposal: I WANT TANEV!!!!! (TOR/VAN)

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by heybuddyhowyadoing, Jun 13, 2018.

1. therealkoho

therealkoho Gary says it's A-OK

exactly! he was on IR as per usual
    Recent news on Chris Tanev - Vancouver Canucks - Rotoworld.com
    see recent news

2. therealkoho

seeing him for 82 games might not be a good thing

3. bobbyb2009

bobbyb2009 Registered User

Yes, yes, I do get it. It does make sense for the leafs, and you are motivated by that.

Your argument, as I understand it, is that it also makes sense to the Canucks to accept your value for something the Leafs need, for these reasons:

1) Because that is what rebuilding teams do, they sell valuable assets for lottery tickets. The more you have, the more chance you have of finding something like what you sold

2) Veteran leadership and the hard minutes guys like Tanev can take on successfully can be had in free agency.

I disagree, for the following reasons:

On 1) It is not that the Canucks shouldn't move him and be significantly even worse (if that is even possible)... they just should not do it without achieving a value that works for the Canucks. If a team needs Tanev, and there are lots that could use him, it comes down to value. Receiving enough value and significant lottery tickets- sure, move him. If the value isn't of enough significance, then DON'T do it. He has significant value to the build process to this team, and to the team being watchable night to night. If the deal isn't right, sell him later for slightly less lottery tickets than you are offering- and that deal will be out there in two years at a deadline, IMO. No need to give him away now if the value isn't there! Therefore, these offers aren't something that "makes sense for the Canucks."

On 2) This is simply not true. His minutes and value to the Canucks can not be replaced in free agency, or Toronto and others would simply sign someone without giving up assets. The number of D who are available and can play these top paring defensive minutes successfully while sheltering and helping to grow the players around them is near zero. And then you get to ask, why would that player come to Vancouver, and at what term and cap hit. Loads of posters say this, "We can just sign someone to do that in free agency." Oh boy, if it was that easy.... It isn't. Therefore, these offers aren't something that "makes sense for the Canucks."

Sure, there is a deal to be done between the two, but the package would be have to be hurtful for Toronto to do it too. And it would make Vancouver a worse team in the near term, making it even more painful to watch games. In the end, Benning might screw this up and do something dumb, but he most certainly should not do the deals being suggested here without things being improved.

One thing is for certain, he is exactly what Toronto needs to take another step.

4. THE Green Man

THE Green Man Registered User

Swapping Bracco to Rasanen is fine by me. I would prefer a 2018 2nd but get that it's a tough sell for the Leafs to not pick until the 3rd round. So in sum: 2018 1st, Rasanen, and 2019 conditional 2nd- becomes a 2019 3rd if Tanev doesn't play in 70 games due to injury.

As for Kapanen, he is valued way more to Leafs fans that he is to us. As of right now we have our RW depth of Boeser, Petersson and Virtanen. Along with that, we have lots of bottom 6 players already. Kapanen reminds me of a hybrid between Hansen and Raymond- just not something that I would consider a core piece in a Tanev deal for.

remote likes this.
  5. Martin Skoula

Martin Skoula Registered User

And the shady used car salesman neglects to mention that the Mercedes sees the mechanic more often than it sees a gas station.

6. Fogelhund

Fogelhund Registered User

Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly in my last post, and I apologize for that.

What I think the right value is, isn't relevant. I'm not making the deal. What you feel the value is, isn't relevant either... for the same reason. We are just two fans of the sport, chatting on a board. It's my guess at where value **might** be.

Vancouver management would make the deal, if they felt it was what best for them.

As far as a veteran UFA signing... you are right.. you can't replace the player.. .but you can replace the veteran leadership, and learning. We signed Hainsey for much the same reason... there are plenty of similar guys out there, that could help. Polak has been a good guy for us, consummate pro... UFA... not saying he's the right guy... but there are plenty of veterans that can bring along the other guys. As far as watchable, competitive team... I think a sophisticated fan base such as Vancouver, would surely understand and enjoy the process, if management just came out and said, this is what we are doing. Toronto fans have been fine with it.

7. remote

remote Registered User

Rasnaen is looking solid but Holl is a better D man IMO, don't forget Aaltonen, Grundstrom, Rosen etc. If you want Rasanen as the guy added to the picks I am 100% cool with that.

8. brokenwolf88

brokenwolf88 Registered User

I don't want Tanev. At all. He's a decent player but his injuries are too much now.

Would you want Lupul from a couple years ago?

9. THE Green Man

Personally I like the aspect of Rasanen. Could be our Gudbrandson replacement in a few years with that size and also being a RHD. With the rumblings that Tryamkin is still open to coming back once he fulfills his KHL contract, eventually our top 4:
    Tryamkin-Dobson/Bouchard
    Juolevi-Rasanen

10. Cotton

Cotton Registered User

Yeah, no to Rasanen, not going to happen.

11. Walt22

Walt22 Registered User

But it is still better than any of the other vehicles that you currently own....and that piece of gum and lint are still of no value to the dealer. Tell me what person selling a car would say....okay take it away for free. He would quickly tell you to get back to your shopping cart and keep wheeling down the road. If youbdont believe me go try it. Pick any lemon and offer them something they don't need.

12. remote

remote Registered User

why not?

13. THE Green Man

You're looking at acquiring the perfect partner for Reilly. It's going to sting to pick up a player like that in a trade. FYI multiple leafs fans over the past few months have agreed to this deal so it's not too outlandish.

14. GoodbyeLuongo

GoodbyeLuongo Registered User

Because it would make his value go way higher?

15. 50 Sheas of Grey

50 Sheas of Grey Registered User

16. rod

rod Registered User

My question would be why do you want an oft injured mediocre defencemen?

Flamesjustwin likes this.
  17. Liferleafer

Liferleafer Bob's assclown

Oft injured....yes. Mediocre? No.

18. 50 Sheas of Grey

He's a mediocre troll.

Liferleafer likes this.
  19. GoodbyeLuongo

GoodbyeLuongo Registered User

Who are we talking about? Chris Tanev? Mediocre? Lol.

20. Cquant

Cquant Registered User

I don't think it's fair to compare Tanev to Lupul.

Didn't Lupul have a chronic injury? Something that kept getting reinjured all the time? Tanev has been missed a lot of time this year to mumps and a broken jaw. That's hardly going to repeat itself. Only so many times you can block a puck with your face before you start turning away. He'll learn his lesson quick enough.
    Also, Lupul is the worst case scenario. Yes, it is possible that Tanev keeps missing more than 20 games every season, but likely? I think not.

Also I'd like to remind you that in hindsight, the ask from Leafs fans for Lupul was also very high. There were no biters, but the price was set high. The same goes for Tanev. If he does manage to stay healthy, he is a premium defender at the most prized position. And he has synergy with Rielly to boot. That has value.
    In the end, we're just going to wait this out until Tanev pulls off a decent uninjured season. There's actually a chance we might move Edler out at the deadline instead (promise him a contract if he moves for a chance at the cup).

21. therealkoho

how would you know?

22. Martin Skoula

Martin Skoula Registered User

Nope, almost none of Lupul's injuries were consistent. He had the same situation, back injury, blood infection from the surgery to fix the back injury, broken arm off a blocked shot (from a teammate), hit that tore something in his shoulder, groin injury, etc.

Some guys are just brittle.

23. 50 Sheas of Grey

...it's only been 3 years. Not like a decade or something crazy like that, I can't imagine what that would be like.

24. heybuddyhowyadoing

heybuddyhowyadoing Registered User

Home Inspector
    He's a right D.
    He's a defensive D.
    Hainsey needs a break from playing every single penalty kill.

25. zcaptain

zcaptain Registered User

What about this...……

Tanev
    Tanev + 2019 4th if he plays less than 70 games in 2018 - 2019*
    Tanev + 2019 3rd if he plays less than 60 games in 2018 - 2019*

for

2018 1st + a conditional 2019 1st if the Leaf's win the cup in 2018 - 2019
    2018 1st + 2019 2nd + a conditional 2020 2nd if Tanev plays 70 or more games in 2018 - 2019*
    2018 1st + 2019 2nd otherwise if he plays less than 70 games in 2018 - 2019*

*Maintenance Days not included in injury days