Proposal: I WANT TANEV!!!!! (TOR/VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks' D won't be taking hits any more, compared to Sedin era. Survivors should get a look before they are dealt.

Benning has been trying to add to the existing corps. I do not think they are selling off a D man.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Wow, delusional to say the least.
why pay for a guy who won't be there to play meaningful playoff games or games down the stretch?

Not to mention you're asking multiple first rounder type assets for about 40 games of a player until he's a free agent.

I think most know it's the canucks fans who are delusional, keep em. There's better options who can actually play the game without stubbing their toes and ending up on LTIR for the season.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Just because Tanev has been in the league a while. Just because you are ignorant of prospects doesn't mean everyone is
Ignorant of prospects? The guy is 22 and has 10 points in 55 games. He is so fast and skates by every player in the league but then what does he do? At .18 points a game the answer is pretty clear...but he is magically going to break out with a 60 point season? My example of Marko Dano being a year older...has sat out pretty well the last 2 years ...and he has 55 points in just over twice the games as kapanen. Tell me more about prospects. You obviously are the expert on 10 point players.

Ps brandon tanev has been in the league for 2 years

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Ignorant of prospects? The guy is 22 and has 10 points in 55 games. He is so fast and skates by every player in the league but then what does he do? At .18 points a game the answer is pretty clear...but he is magically going to break out with a 60 point season? My example of Marko Dano being a year older...has sat out pretty well the last 2 years ...and he has 55 points in just over twice the games as kapanen. Tell me more about prospects. You obviously are the expert on 10 point players.

Ps brandon tanev has been in the league for 2 years
You are so smart huh.
The Hockey News
"Owns a very good sniper's release, so goal-scoring is his strong suit. Skates very well and knows how to free himself from coverage to get open. Can even play the point on the power play, due to his great shot."

Shanejones

Jun 12, 2018
Eastern passage
why pay for a guy who won't be there to play meaningful playoff games or games down the stretch?

Not to mention you're asking multiple first rounder type assets for about 40 games of a player until he's a free agent.

I think most know it's the canucks fans who are delusional, keep em. There's better options who can actually play the game without stubbing their toes and ending up on LTIR for the season.
This injury prone stuff is hilarious to say the least, based on your theory I guess Price is washed up and injury prone too with all the time he has missed over the last couple of years. We will keep Tanev, and then Gms can pay even more come trade deadline day

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
You are so smart huh.
The Hockey News
"Owns a very good sniper's release, so goal-scoring is his strong suit. Skates very well and knows how to free himself from coverage to get open. Can even play the point on the power play, due to his great shot."
You can find those quotes on every player drafted. Player X is comparable to Joe Sakic, great speed, excellent shot...etc etc etc. Doesn't mean he will do the same things Joe Sakic did. Do you not realize the difference?

Gaud

May 11, 2017
To TOR
Chris Tanev
Cole Cassels

To VAN

2018 1st
Kasperi Kapanen
Dakota Joshua

Tanev will help put TOR's D into the realm of respectability.

Rielly Tanev
Gardiner Hainsey
Dermott Zaitsev
Borgman (7th D)

Hahha i hope your GM has a good pokerface; screaming you want a player is not the way to save assets.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

That's fair, we won't trade him to Toronto and will hold on to him until another team ponies up a better package. Hopefully that puts an end to the Tanev to Toronto threads started by Leafs fans.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle

“40 games of a player”. Tanev is not the poster boy of durability but saying he’s going to play 40 games over the next two years is just ridiculous. But we’re the delusional ones. By the way, almost every single Tanev to Toronto thread is started by TML fans

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That's fair, we won't trade him to Toronto and will hold on to him until another team ponies up a better package. Hopefully that puts an end to the Tanev to Toronto threads started by Leafs fans.

Doubt it. He's exactly what the Leafs need, but most Leafs fans want to be cheap as hell. That being said, a number of Canucks fans are also over asking, but that's the nature of forums etc....

It's a deal that makes sense for both teams, but the actual managers need to get the deal done. A deal around 2018 1st, 2019 conditional, 2020 conditional... and perhaps prospect/player such as Leivo, Carrick, Nielsen.....

2019 Conditional based on games played in 2018/19. As high as 2nd round, based on 70+ games played... dropping a round every 10 games missed.
2020 Conditional based on games played in 2019/20. As high as 3rd round, based on 70 +games played... dropping a round every 10 games missed.

Maybe the conditions are 60 games +, maybe it's a couple of players/prospects... Maybe there is no conditions, and it's simply a 1st + 2019 2nd + prospect/players...

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
How I assume the past 200+ posts went:

Leafs fans:

He’s made of glass.
Not for Kapanen! Maybe Bracco?
Can I interest you in a gently used Jake Gardiner

Vancouver fans:

We’re going to need a lot more than that.
He’s a premier shutdown D in this league.
Look at what was traded for Hamonic and Larsson.

Round and round we go. See you all in this exact same thread next week.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Doubt it. He's exactly what the Leafs need, but most Leafs fans want to be cheap as hell. That being said, a number of Canucks fans are also over asking, but that's the nature of forums etc....

It's a deal that makes sense for both teams, but the actual managers need to get the deal done. A deal around 2018 1st, 2019 conditional, 2020 conditional... and perhaps prospect/player such as Leivo, Carrick, Nielsen.....

2019 Conditional based on games played in 2018/19. As high as 2nd round, based on 70+ games played... dropping a round every 10 games missed.
2020 Conditional based on games played in 2019/20. As high as 3rd round, based on 70 +games played... dropping a round every 10 games missed.

Maybe the conditions are 60 games +, maybe it's a couple of players/prospects... Maybe there is no conditions, and it's simply a 1st + 2019 2nd + prospect/players...
I also would be very surprised if a deal doesn't get done. Van needs picks prospects and we have some really good forward prospects who just need a chance. If I was GM Kap and Johansson are off the table. In a value bubble Tanev is worth more than them but since we lost JVR we really really need scoring from the wings in our bottom 6. The fact that they are cost controlled makes them even more valuable to us. I would just call Benning and let him pick, any pick(s) non roster player or prospect not named Dermott/Kap/Lilj/Johanssen is available.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Miro Aaltonen at eliteprospects.com Justin Holl at eliteprospects.com Carl Grundström at eliteprospects.com Calle Rosén at eliteprospects.com Andreas Borgman at eliteprospects.com Calvin Pickard at eliteprospects.com these are all options that can be added to our pick

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

Is it? I get it is exactly what the leafs need! He absolutely is. But why do the Canucks need to trade for some future hope if that hope isn't something really really good. Why does moving him for these returns make sense for the Canucks. Keep him!

Without a real return, the Canucks use him to bring along a young Juolevi, etc., and just carry on building a team. It does not make sense for them to send him for a late first and a late second round pick. It simply doesn't.

There are far worse defensemen moved almost every year at the deadline for late first and some random prospect. At worst, the Canucks wait a couple of years, keep him in the team to help the development of young players, and they slightly downgrade on a return like the ones being suggested in here at some future deadline.

Lose him and the Canucks will spend the next decade trying to find a player like him (like so many teams do) who can shelter a young/talented prospect or defend top players. The is literally zero point to doing it unless the return is favourable!!??!!

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I would counter with:
Were looking at an often injured shutdown D, who will be 29 this year (which I wouldn't call young), with only two years remaining on his contract and who does nothing to assist in scoring, which is Toronto's forte. Gardiner has his faults I agree but his total points from last year almost match Tanev's previous five years combined.
Looking at the price paid for Hamonic I doubt very much if Calgary is happy with this deal in hindsight.
Holding up another terrible deal and pointing at it is not helping your cause.
How many of these defensive overpays are viewed as good deals?
I think a 1st and a decent 'B' type prospect is fare value.
ya had me until you mentioned the 1st rnd pick

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Is it? I get it is exactly what the leafs need! He absolutely is. But why do the Canucks need to trade for some future hope if that hope isn't something really really good. Why does moving him for these returns make sense for the Canucks. Keep him!

Without a real return, the Canucks use him to bring along a young Juolevi, etc., and just carry on building a team. It does not make sense for them to send him for a late first and a late second round pick. It simply doesn't.

There are far worse defensemen moved almost every year at the deadline for late first and some random prospect. At worst, the Canucks wait a couple of years, keep him in the team to help the development of young players, and they slightly downgrade on a return like the ones being suggested in here at some future deadline.

Lose him and the Canucks will spend the next decade trying to find a player like him (like so many teams do) who can shelter a young/talented prospect or defend top players. The is literally zero point to doing it unless the return is favourable!!??!!

Vancouver can get veteran D help easily, there are plenty available, and they are usually pretty cheap too. For a development purpose, that won't be an issue at all.

It's just my opinion, but I think if things go well for Vancouver, they are four to five years away from being contenders again. At 33/34, Tanev is well outside the age group of the rest of the team, and at such a point, and his injury history, how much is left in the tank? I just don't think Tanev is part of the lineup, the next time Vancouver is a contender. Like you said, it could take quite some time tAo find a replacement, so you might as well get started now. D prospects are pretty unpredicatable, hell, Tanev wasn't even drafted. The more picks you make, the greater your chances of finding a gem D. Typically, half of the Norris finalists were selected outside of the first round.

That isn't to say that my valuation on a trade is right, or even wrong... what we say in here isn't relevant. I just think when you are rebuilding... which is what the Canucks should be doing, you move valuable older assets, for the future. Veteran leadership can be brought in, while valueable pieces can be moved out. At 29 this coming December, with ongoing injury issues, you have a depreciating asset trade value wise, at least that's been the trend.

Let me say this... it makes sense for the reasons I've mentioned above, for Vancouver to move him.

It makes sense for the Leafs, as a healthy Tanev is what the Leafs need.

What the trade value actually is... who cares, because even if we agreed, it doesn't make a trade happen... but the trade does make sense for both sides, whatever that cost is, that works for both management teams.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
I also would be very surprised if a deal doesn't get done. Van needs picks prospects and we have some really good forward prospects who just need a chance. If I was GM Kap and Johansson are off the table. In a value bubble Tanev is worth more than them but since we lost JVR we really really need scoring from the wings in our bottom 6. The fact that they are cost controlled makes them even more valuable to us. I would just call Benning and let him pick, any pick(s) non roster player or prospect not named Dermott/Kap/Lilj/Johanssen is available.
So funny. We want your top d man and take anything you want except for the pieces that may some day actually play in the NHL. I am going to try that next time i go and buy a car. I would like to buy the 2014 mercedes that for anything I have in my pocket except for cash, credit card or check...but take your pick of the gum, spare key or lint. Go ahead and take anything. Oh and you can even have the prospect of the bottle cap that might be in my pocket tomorrow. Never change leaf fans.

Reactions: Shanejones

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver can get veteran D help easily, there are plenty available, and they are usually pretty cheap too. For a development purpose, that won't be an issue at all.

It's just my opinion, but I think if things go well for Vancouver, they are four to five years away from being contenders again. At 33/34, Tanev is well outside the age group of the rest of the team, and at such a point, and his injury history, how much is left in the tank? I just don't think Tanev is part of the lineup, the next time Vancouver is a contender. Like you said, it could take quite some time tAo find a replacement, so you might as well get started now. D prospects are pretty unpredicatable, hell, Tanev wasn't even drafted. The more picks you make, the greater your chances of finding a gem D. Typically, half of the Norris finalists were selected outside of the first round.

That isn't to say that my valuation on a trade is right, or even wrong... what we say in here isn't relevant. I just think when you are rebuilding... which is what the Canucks should be doing, you move valuable older assets, for the future. Veteran leadership can be brought in, while valueable pieces can be moved out. At 29 this coming December, with ongoing injury issues, you have a depreciating asset trade value wise, at least that's been the trend.

Let me say this... it makes sense for the reasons I've mentioned above, for Vancouver to move him.

It makes sense for the Leafs, as a healthy Tanev is what the Leafs need.

What the trade value actually is... who cares, because even if we agreed, it doesn't make a trade happen... but the trade does make sense for both sides, whatever that cost is, that works for both management teams.

Yes, yes, I do get it. It does make sense for the leafs, and you are motivated by that.

Your argument, as I understand it, is that it also makes sense to the Canucks to accept your value for something the Leafs need, for these reasons:

1) Because that is what rebuilding teams do, they sell valuable assets for lottery tickets. The more you have, the more chance you have of finding something like what you sold

2) Veteran leadership and the hard minutes guys like Tanev can take on successfully can be had in free agency.

I disagree, for the following reasons:

On 1) It is not that the Canucks shouldn't move him and be significantly even worse (if that is even possible)... they just should not do it without achieving a value that works for the Canucks. If a team needs Tanev, and there are lots that could use him, it comes down to value. Receiving enough value and significant lottery tickets- sure, move him. If the value isn't of enough significance, then DON'T do it. He has significant value to the build process to this team, and to the team being watchable night to night. If the deal isn't right, sell him later for slightly less lottery tickets than you are offering- and that deal will be out there in two years at a deadline, IMO. No need to give him away now if the value isn't there! Therefore, these offers aren't something that "makes sense for the Canucks."

On 2) This is simply not true. His minutes and value to the Canucks can not be replaced in free agency, or Toronto and others would simply sign someone without giving up assets. The number of D who are available and can play these top paring defensive minutes successfully while sheltering and helping to grow the players around them is near zero. And then you get to ask, why would that player come to Vancouver, and at what term and cap hit. Loads of posters say this, "We can just sign someone to do that in free agency." Oh boy, if it was that easy.... It isn't. Therefore, these offers aren't something that "makes sense for the Canucks."

Sure, there is a deal to be done between the two, but the package would be have to be hurtful for Toronto to do it too. And it would make Vancouver a worse team in the near term, making it even more painful to watch games. In the end, Benning might screw this up and do something dumb, but he most certainly should not do the deals being suggested here without things being improved.

One thing is for certain, he is exactly what Toronto needs to take another step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino