Post-Game Talk: I love OT this year!

johnnyarmstrong

Jun 14, 2015
Well, I know for a fact Dekeyser doesn't typically make the type of mistakes in his own end he has so far this year.

And I also know that 14 shots for Kronwall in 18 games is bad and not typical for him.

Kronwall isn't young. He has been declining for years and this year he is declining more noticeably. Dekeyser has never been a good possession player, either.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
Mrazek>Howard. It's that simple.

Howard loses you games and gives up soft goals. He's one of the few goalies who has lots of trouble stopping deflected pucks. He can't play the puck well. He looks small in the net and plays with no confidence etc. That great start he had is gone and his SV% has already dipped below .920, and is at .918 which is currently below the league average. Howard has lost us games vs. Carolina and San Jose already this year. He almost gave the game to Ottawa last night, when he was absolutely embarrassed by Bobby Ryan of all people.

So yeah, people want Mrazek to be the full time starter.

That move by Bobby Ryan was pretty awesome, Howard played it right and challenged the shot and counted on the player to take away the far post, Ryan slid through and put it right under the heel of the D's stick.

I don't see many goalies making that save.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kronwall isn't young. He has been declining for years and this year he is declining more noticeably. Dekeyser has never been a good possession player, either.

Incredibly broad statements, but sure. If you try to apply some context I think you will find some areas where they can pick it up from their current level of play.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm not a massive Howard supporter and think he should be traded for the right price to a team like Edmonton or Calgary. But anyone claiming that Bobby Ryan goal ws Howards fault is completely out to lunch. Howard played a fine game game last night, the Ryan goal wasnt his fault at all, one was a tip right infront and the other I guess he could've saved but its not like it was a flukey goal.

Howard is far from the Wings problem right now. I get some people love Mrazek and want to see him play more, but you dont have to tear apart Howard to build up Mrazek, which is what I suspect a lot of people are doing on here

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I'm not a massive Howard supporter and think he should be traded for the right price to a team like Edmonton or Calgary. But anyone claiming that Bobby Ryan goal ws Howards fault is completely out to lunch. Howard played a fine game game last night, the Ryan goal wasnt his fault at all, one was a tip right infront and the other I guess he could've saved but its not like it was a flukey goal.

Howard is far from the Wings problem right now. I get some people love Mrazek and want to see him play more, but you dont have to tear apart Howard to build up Mrazek, which is what I suspect a lot of people are doing on here

Concur :)

I like both goalies. Lets worry about trading one when they both make 5 Million.

BTW even if you think Mrazek is the next Carey Price...
Keeping howard for 1-2 years should help make sure Mrazek's salary is lower for his next deal.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
He has been a slow starter each year in the NHL pretty much, but last year he really got going around the 10 game mark or so. He is producing alright this year but he is not even remotely as noticeable as he can be when he's on his game. Like TSN guys said when he scored in OT, they were talking about how he's been reeeeeaaaallly quiet.

True, but it is encouraging that he is putting up solid numbers even his overall play leaves a lot to be desired. I'm sure he'll be the possession monster he can be sooner or later, a multi-goal night with some solid snipes would do him good I reckon.

Helm has been one of the guys playing with the most effort in the latest games. Just isn't doing anything offensively. I agree though, at worst he makes our 4th line better.

I still want to see the 4th line of Helm-Glendening-Miller. Although at the moment I'd like to see Jurco over Miller manning the other wing on the 4th line, Miller has been really meh the whole season.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
That move by Bobby Ryan was pretty awesome, Howard played it right and challenged the shot and counted on the player to take away the far post, Ryan slid through and put it right under the heel of the D's stick.

The goal was definitely Glendening's fault, but let's not act like Howard wasn't undressed on that goal. Definitely Glenny's fault, but Howard got smoked too.

There's no reason to split games anymore. Mrazek should be the de facto #1. Howard is just fine as a backup until he can be traded. He's not a terrible goalie by any stretch but there is no reason for him to start any more than 30-35 games this year.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
The goal was definitely Glendening's fault, but let's not act like Howard wasn't undressed on that goal. Definitely Glenny's fault, but Howard got smoked too.

There's no reason to split games anymore. Mrazek should be the de facto #1. Howard is just fine as a backup until he can be traded. He's not a terrible goalie by any stretch but there is no reason for him to start any more than 30-35 games this year.

Lets be honest here: If you were the GM and you wanted to Trade Howard right now... the goalie market is incredibly weak. I don't even know if you can trade any decent goalie for anything good. Maybe not just for the cap room.

You want Mrazek to sign a 5Mil+ per year deal on his next contract? Cause thats what you are fixing to do.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Lets be honest here: If you were the GM and you wanted to Trade Howard right now... the goalie market is incredibly weak. I don't even know if you can trade any decent goalie for anything good. Maybe not just for the cap room.

You want Mrazek to sign a 5Mil+ per year deal on his next contract? Cause thats what you are fixing to do.

That may be true, but I also want to win games. In reality it's bad GMing/Coaching because now the team has to give an inferior player games to just try and up his trade value. And like you said, there's no market and probably not going to be for a while. So now, we either split starts and most likely suffer a few loses for it, or we give Mrazek a majority of the starts because he is the better player who gives us a better chance to win each night. He might demand a bigger contract for it, but so be it at this point.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Total nonsense. Kronwall's career year was 13-14. Last year was probably his second best all things considered. Don't overlook that's he's gone from facing 2nd & 3rd liners to the other team's top players every night. He can't rush up and play offense all the time because he doesn't have the skating for it.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

It's not like Mrazek didn't let in some weak goals vs Boston.

The first was a routine glove save that he no only didn't control but that he lost track of allowing Bergeron to tap in his own rebound. The second was another one he could have stopped when he over committed to Krejci cutting across the middle and got beat on the short side. Both were worse than the Bobby Ryan goal last night.

We have 2 very good goalies, I'm not sure why there is a small group of our fanbase that wants to create a goalie controversy when it is without question the strongest aspect of our team right now.

Whether Howard or Mrazek had started every single game to this point, I doubt our record is much different in either direction.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015

The first was a routine glove save that he no only didn't control but that he lost track of allowing Bergeron to tap in his own rebound. The second was another one he could have stopped when he over committed to Krejci cutting across the middle and got beat on the short side. Both were worse than the Bobby Ryan goal last night.

We have 2 very good goalies, I'm not sure why there is a small group of our fanbase that wants to create a goalie controversy when it is without question the strongest aspect of our team right now.

Whether Howard or Mrazek had started every single game to this point, I doubt our record is much different in either direction.

Howard's made 9 starts this year. In 3 of those games his SV% has been below 900. His current SV% is 918.

Mrazek's made 10 starts. His SV% has been below 900 only once. His current SV% is 935.

Howard has never been the same since his injury and has failed to find consistency and confidence. Mrazek has been performing like the better goalie ever since Howard's injury. And more importantly, Mrazek wins us games we have no business winning such as the games against Carolina, Washington, and Vancouver already this year. He was the reason we went 7 games with Tampa too. Howard personally lost us the game against San Jose, a game in which they only had 14! shots. He helped give Ottawa a point last night too.

Howard's great in a backup role, and he should play no more than 30-35 games this year. I have nothing against Howard at all, I just want my team to have the best chance to win on a night to night basis and unfortunately Howard is not that goalie anymore. He was for a while at one point, but his time should honestly start to come to an end sooner rather than later.

Hunting Bow*

I'm not going to hammer Howard on that goal as well. Just wish he'd try to poke check the puck away. He had nothing to lose.

Hunting Bow*

The Wings did nothing to prepare for Howard to be traded. Who will be the backup if Howard gets traded?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Howard's made 9 starts this year. In 3 of those games his SV% has been below 900. His current SV% is 918.

Mrazek's made 10 starts. His SV% has been below 900 only once. His current SV% is 935.

Howard has never been the same since his injury and has failed to find consistency and confidence. Mrazek has been performing like the better goalie ever since Howard's injury. And more importantly, Mrazek wins us games we have no business winning such as the games against Carolina, Washington, and Vancouver already this year. He was the reason we went 7 games with Tampa too. Howard personally lost us the game against San Jose, a game in which they only had 14! shots. He helped give Ottawa a point last night too.

Howard's great in a backup role, and he should play no more than 30-35 games this year. I have nothing against Howard at all, I just want my team to have the best chance to win on a night to night basis and unfortunately Howard is not that goalie anymore. He was for a while at one point, but his time should honestly start to come to an end sooner rather than later.

Howard had a rough night vs the Sharks, but Mrazek will have his fair share of those as well.

You're completely off base blaming Howard for Ottawa getting a point last night though, there wasn't a bad goal scored on him and had he not played so well after Ottawa tied that game the Wings might have finished without any pts.

You're also missing the fact that both goalies are on pace to play almost exactly the split of games you're hoping for. Mrazek is on pace to start 46 games, with Howard starting 36 (assuming Mrazek starts vs Washington on Wednesday). So why call for more starts for Mrazek and less for Howard?

My point isn't and hasn't ever been that Howard should be playing more than he is. My point is why are you (and others like you) pushing to fix something that clearly isn't broken?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Mrazek is on pace to start 46 games, with Howard starting 36 (assuming Mrazek starts vs Washington on Wednesday). So why call for more starts for Mrazek and less for Howard?

Exactly what I was going to say. He's making a stink about how much Howard is playing, while Howard is currently on pace for 36 games... and he thinks Howard should play about 35 games.

I don't see the issue

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013

Lots of goalies have been "embarrassed" by Bobby Ryan. That was a nice goal and when he's on Ryan is a pretty damn good goal scorer. Don't understand the point of comment

Hunting Bow*

Howard had a rough night vs the Sharks, but Mrazek will have his fair share of those as well.

You're completely off base blaming Howard for Ottawa getting a point last night though, there wasn't a bad goal scored on him and had he not played so well after Ottawa tied that game the Wings might have finished without any pts.

You're also missing the fact that both goalies are on pace to play almost exactly the split of games you're hoping for. Mrazek is on pace to start 46 games, with Howard starting 36 (assuming Mrazek starts vs Washington on Wednesday). So why call for more starts for Mrazek and less for Howard?

My point isn't and hasn't ever been that Howard should be playing more than he is. My point is why are you (and others like you) pushing to fix something that clearly isn't broken?

.880 last night.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015

For the entire year Blash has been alternating starts. We are almost 20 games into the year and this has not changed. If this trend continues, they'd split the starts down the middle (Mrazek has played in 10 games, but has only started 9. I made a mistake in my above post) I'm not even really complaining about the goaltending, it's been our strength this year (not as much so the past 4-5 games or so). I just believe that Mrazek should be our number #1, and get 50(+) starts this year. Of course if Mrazek was to struggle, I'd have no problem deferring to Howard. I have no problem riding with the hot hand whoever that may be.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

I disagree. Howard is Ok, Mrazek is good/ very good.
Howard loses games on his own.
But Mrazek has allowed some weak goals too.
The difference, Mrazek has stolen at least 2 games. Mrazek also lost us the game vs canes.
But all considered, Mrazek give us a better chance to win. Therefore he should play more.
But Howard is also important for Mrazeks developement.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
.880 last night.

So what? Should the Wings have allowed a few more shots to improve Howards SV%?

There were no soft goals scored and none that I feel confident saying Mrazek would have stopped either. Only a highlight reel play with Ryan beating 2 defenders, and 2 seeing eye point shots with traffic in front. On all 3 the problems were more to do with the teams defensive play than with goaltending.

For the entire year Blash has been alternating starts. We are almost 20 games into the year and this has not changed. If this trend continues, they'd split the starts down the middle (Mrazek has played in 10 games, but has only started 9. I made a mistake in my above post) I'm not even really complaining about the goaltending, it's been our strength this year (not as much so the past 4-5 games or so). I just believe that Mrazek should be our number #1, and get 50(+) starts this year. Of course if Mrazek was to struggle, I'd have no problem deferring to Howard. I have no problem riding with the hot hand whoever that may be.

For the most part they've been alternating, but Mrazek has played back to back games twice now and Howard once.

I truly think that the split will not be 50-50 to the end of the year, nor was it the plan, its just more even because of the number of back to backs the team has played early in the season.

I think you'll get exactly what you want, Mrazek starting about 45-50 games with Howard starting somewhere between 32-37 games unless of course one of their play drops off prompting a change in the rotation.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I disagree. Howard is Ok, Mrazek is good/ very good.
Howard loses games on his own.
But Mrazek has allowed some weak goals too.
The difference, Mrazek has stolen at least 2 games. Mrazek also lost us the game vs canes.
But all considered, Mrazek give us a better chance to win. Therefore he should play more.
But Howard is also important for Mrazeks developement.

There has only been one game all season where Howard was weak and that was vs San Jose and do you really think the result would have been different with Mrazek in net? You could just as easily say Mrazek cost us the game vs Edmonton even though neither is true.

As far as stealing games goes, I know everyone points to Mrazeks great performance vs Washington but I think the shot differential gives a different perception of the game than it actually was. The scoring chance #'s in that game were 19-11 in favor of the Wings. It was basically Ovechkin forcing a lot of poor shot attempts trying to surpass Fedorov's record with him in the building. Mrazek played well, but I wouldn't say he stole that game any more than Howard did the week previous vs Tampa Bay.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, the goalie battle is basically a draw now. Which is a good scenario to be in, as both are playing well. Over a larger sample size things should shake out more clearly, but right now, as Flashy points out, there's basically a one game performance separating the two. That's not much to draw substantial conclusions on.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Yeah, the goalie battle is basically a draw now. Which is a good scenario to be in, as both are playing well. Over a larger sample size things should shake out more clearly, but right now, as Flashy points out, there's basically a one game performance separating the two. That's not much to draw substantial conclusions on.

What happened to the goalie thread?

I disagree that its a draw. I think Mrazek has outplayed Jimmy, enough to where I think he should get the majority of the starts.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What happened to the goalie thread?

I disagree that its a draw. I think Mrazek has outplayed Jimmy, enough to where I think he should get the majority of the starts.

If nobody posts in a thread, it drifts away, like Wilson floating farther and farther into the ocean.

If you put a gun to my head I'd probably pick Mrazek, too, but I don't think it's been clear at all based upon this season. If we give Mrazek some extra points for his performance in the Tampa series, that helps. Still, it feels premature to call a starter for me. Fortunately, I don't think there's a bad choice to be made here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad