Post-Game Talk: I love OT this year!

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Nyquist is incredible this year. I hope this is him taking a stride because then I think he can be Datsyuk lite. He gains the zone well, he sees the ice well. He can't distribute or gain entry as well as Datsyuk but who can?

I agree! He's taken a tremendous step forward this year. He has gained the ability to "slow the game down" , which is something that most great forwards can do. He has definitely taken his game to a new level, which unfortunately tatar has not done so far.

It feels like either he or Larkin are our best forwards every night.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Zetterberg already slowing down. Pointless in his past 5 games. Fails the eye test too.. just hasn't been a difference maker out there. He did have that good outlet pass that eventually led to nyquists goal at least.

He's gonna be a trainwreck come game 60

He had to backpack this team with Larkin at the start of the season. Form here on out he is going to produce like a 1st/2nd liner Probably 50 to 60 points in 75 games or something.

Surprised this hasnt been mentioned yet though. Nothing from the announcers about scoreless zet

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Zetterberg already slowing down. Pointless in his past 5 games. Fails the eye test too.. just hasn't been a difference maker out there. He did have that good outlet pass that eventually led to nyquists goal at least.

The pass to spring Green on the Nyquist goal was terrific. Otherwise, he was fairly quiet tonight.

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
For the record went

Nyquist
Green
Larkin

for the stars.

Same. Nyquist with an extremely complete game tonight. Very happy with the progress he seems to be making this season.

Also very very pleased with Marchenko lately and especially tonight. And good on Tats to bury the GWG.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I agree! He's taken a tremendous step forward this year. He has gained the ability to "slow the game down" , which is something that most great forwards can do. He has definitely taken his game to a new level, which unfortunately tatar has not done so far.

It feels like either he or Larkin are our best forwards every night.
Gus is great. If he can clean up his tendency to get 'cute' he will become even more effective. He is playing like a healthy Goose unlike late last season.

Larkin looked fantastic on the PP tonight. That is one area where he can improve and it's great to see it happening.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I think the team is trying really hard to not go to a SO this year, especially with Howard in net. Howard's probably relieved too.:laugh:

Actual Thought*

3 on 3 ot to me is

If we lose, it sucks

if we win, its amazing

Also I think its entertaining watching other teams playing it. Nothing on the line lol

I think it is a gimmick but slightly better than shootouts. I don't think the winning shooter should get a game winner or even a goal on his stats. Skews numbers vs history.

Actual Thought*

Gus is great. If he can clean up his tendency to get 'cute' he will become even more effective. He is playing like a healthy Goose unlike late last season.

Larkin looked fantastic on the PP tonight. That is one area where he can improve and it's great to see it happening.

Ottawa is 29th in PK. Great to score on the PP but I am not sure it is a sign of anything. However I was in the camp of being okay with sending Larks to GR to start the season. I was super duper wrong! Love this kid.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Really? I mean, it's gimmicky, but it's pretty damn entertaining. Beats the hell out of a shootout.

Yea it was probably more that the game put me in a bad mood just in time for this one. I can see how it can be entertaining.

I think if I was coaching it I'd just send my 3 fastest guys out there and tell them to sprint until game over.

It would be stupid, but probably kind of funny too.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I think the team is trying really hard to not go to a SO this year, especially with Howard in net. Howard's probably relieved too.:laugh:

Shootouts are so random that I wouldn't be surprised if Howard is lights out in them this year.

My 3 stars tonight were

1. Nyquist
2. Green
3. Datsyuk

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Was at this one

Boy do the Wings look small

Really happy they stuck with it and got the ROW

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Yea it was probably more that the game put me in a bad mood just in time for this one. I can see how it can be entertaining.

I think if I was coaching it I'd just send my 3 fastest guys out there and tell them to sprint until game over.

It would be stupid, but probably kind of funny too.

AA-Helm
Larkin

Checks out -- both stupid and funny.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Boy do the Wings look small

Oh I'm as tall as I ever was.

half3.png

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I think we watched different games.

I thought Green was mediocre.
I thought DeKeyser had a fantastic game. A lot of good defensive plays and contributed to some good scoring plays as well.
I thought Glendening and his line were pretty awesome minus the Ryan stick lift.
I thought Abdelkader was really buzzing and showed off some really soft hands at times.
Datsyuk looked great.
Zetterberg looked slow.
Tatar looked like garbage in regulation.
Kronwall continues to look really bad out there.
Helm is useless.
AA looks outstanding. Smart and creative plays in the o-zone but what wins me over is the back checking and defensive commitment.

All in all, a pretty fun hockey game to watch.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I thought Green was mediocre.

He did two things that directly set up goals. The first goal he took the puck into the offensive zone with speed and made a heads up pass. The second goal, he fires a quick shot that gets through and creates the rebound that scores. Now I understand these plays seem simple enough, but they are exactly the offensive skills that the Wings have lacked from the blueline. It's subtle but important contributions which break open a scoring chance.

To me, this was the game that reminded me exactly what the Wings were lacking from their defenders.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
He did two things that directly set up goals. The first goal he took the puck into the offensive zone with speed and made a heads up pass. The second goal, he fires a quick shot that gets through and creates the rebound that scores. Now I understand these plays seem simple enough, but they are exactly the offensive skills that the Wings have lacked from the blueline. It's subtle but important contributions which break open a scoring chance.

To me, this was the game that reminded me exactly what the Wings were lacking from their defenders.

Sounds like the kind of debate that... my Defensive scores could solve....!!!

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
As nice as Nyquist's backhand pass through 2 players for the winner was, it was just as important he broke up that 1 on 3 following Kindl's turnover first.

Love Larkin's goal, the awareness to psych the goalie out with the wraparound then bank it off his short side....love it.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Nyquist
Larkin
Green

Now I hope we can play consistent hockey.

I thought Helm/Sheahan/Glendening looked good together.

Green had a couple elite plays and a couple not so elite, but he's looking reeaallyy solid. I would like to see him and Pavel on the same PP unit, though. The play where he got back on the puck on OT and then left it for Abby was tremendous skating ability.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015

He was very key in the first goal though, that breakout pass was pretty. He's had some good looks the past games aswell, but you can tell that he's almost purely a set-up guy haven't really been had a dangerous shot on goal in a while. But his smart set-ups and smart plays are still there, his production will come again. Same with dats who's been having some great set-up plays and scoring chances since he came back, he could've had 2 goals and 2 assists at this point, hit the bar etc and other players not being able to Bury the puck despite great Set-ups.

johnnyarmstrong

Jun 14, 2015
dekeyser and glendening were terrible. and wouldn't it make more sense to play jurco with athanathiou and pulkkinen?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Nyquist's play is definitely better than his production this season. I guess the points will come(though he's on a 30 goal pace).

Getting pretty sick of Helm's lackluster play. He just skates the puck into the opponents, it's like watching a fast Cleary(and not the good version of Cleary).

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Only caught overtime tonight but glad they got the two points. Was surprised to find out that Larkin's FO% is roughly equal to Zetterberg, around 46% on the season. Datsyuk over 50% tonight. I feel like they should put D and Z together and have Larkin centre the 2nd line. His FO% isn't great but neither is Zetterberg's and hopefully Larkin would improve quick with in-game faceoff experience.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Tatar-Larkin-Nyquist
Helm-Athanasiou-Pulkkinen
Miller-Sheahan-Glendening

Switch Helm and Sheahan based on who's playing better. Hopefully avoiding a 4th line role would push them in that direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad