Post-Game Talk: I love OT this year!

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I thot that Nyquist and Tatar were terrible together?

well i was right about the 4 goals for us. and the win.

cnwinger

Feb 22, 2012
Absolutely abysmal play be Glendening to give one of the teams we are chasing a free point.

Can we stop pretending that this guy some great defensive player?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Nice finish, and we definitely played a very good OT... but I still couldn't help but think to myself during it "man 3v3 is really stupid".

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I am glad he won it and I am glad he responded.... Tatar was rightfully demoted for most of the game though. Good on Blash to put him out for the win, but hard to vote him a star given the balance of the game.

I would have voted green instead of Tats for last Star, but that last Ottawa goal was brutal, so I couldn't do it. He had a good game otherwise though like ya said.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
by far green's best game of the year, despite the weak defensive play on the last ottawa goal

It's nice to see a defencemen have skill and confidence with the puck.

Dekeyser and Kronwall are definitely not them selves to start the season.

Nice to see Tatar get the winner after being demoted earlier in the game.

Good game overall, Detroit did a ton of good things. 2 pts is 2 pts.

Also, AA's speed... Wow.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Don't forget about Kindl's ill advised shin pad shot that started the whole thing! :laugh:

If you can't find a shooting lane with only 6 skaters on the ice it means you're an idiot.

Tatar goes through these stretches every season it seems. Doesn't score as much as he wants so he tries waaaay too hard to dipsy doodle and he suffers for it. He projects as really cocky but it seems like he's just not comfortable enough with himself or his game to *just play right* and wait for the goals to come.

Nyquist is incredible this year. I hope this is him taking a stride because then I think he can be Datsyuk lite. He gains the zone well, he sees the ice well. He can't distribute or gain entry as well as Datsyuk but who can?

Larkin, what a beast. Nothing else to be said, this kid is so good.

AA is worth it. He may never be a great distributor of the puck or a defensive stalwart, but we can see that his speed, hands, and instinct to score are so high he creates several chances a game just from that. If he can round out the rest of his game, oh baby. Please AA, please.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Absolutely abysmal play be Glendening to give one of the teams we are chasing a free point.

He is a good defensive player, but the moment his effort dips below 110% he becomes pretty useless. Let's not pretend he makes these kind of mistakes often. So far Miller, Andersson and Glendening have all been huge disappointments compared to last season.

Nice finish, and we definitely played a very good OT... but I still couldn't help but think to myself during it "man 3v3 is really stupid".
It's stupid, but at least we have good players to throw out there. I'm not even sure I would use Zetterberg there. Would be fun to see Athanasiou with Larkin or something like that.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Props to the coach for coming up with some good lines.

I LIKED:

-4th line: sheahan, helm, glendening looked great and got first 4th goal of the year.
-1st 2 lines were well balanced
-Pulkkinen had his most high energy game I have seen him play

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

That was a great play by Ryan. Once or twice a year he'll score on a spectacular play that makes everyone thing he should be better than he actually is.

I was annoyed at the time of the goal but when they showed the replay it was one of those plays where you just tip your hat to him for making a great play.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would have voted green instead of Tats for last Star, but that last Ottawa goal was brutal, so I couldn't do it. He had a good game otherwise though like ya said.

More of an issue with Glendening, who just needs to haul him down the second that breaks down. Green is back-skating away to be an outlet when Glenny gets stick checked. He needs to haul him down, not much fault for Green as the emergency defender racing over.

People can crush Glendening over it and it was a bad play... He doesn't make as many as people like to say, it was unusual and honestly had a bigger issue with him not recognizing you fight another day and hauling Ryan straight down.

As Silky said it was also a great play by Ryan.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Been pumping his tires since the day we signed him. Guy looks great so far, that signing was huge.

Same. Huge advocate for signing him even before FA and I habem't regretted it at all. He has his rough defensive moments but he provides a much needed dimension to the D and I'm glad we landed him.

Stars went Nyquist, Green, Larkin. Datsyuk and Abdelkader were my hondorable mentions.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's stupid, but at least we have good players to throw out there. I'm not even sure I would use Zetterberg there. Would be fun to see Athanasiou with Larkin or something like that.

At the AHL level Blash would hold Athanasiou back for about the first 3 minutes of 3 on 3. Basically the first couple of shifts the D take and get back out there, he unleashes him. I am guessing we will see that strategy at some point if AA stays up. Once the guys are a little gassed it is a great ace up the sleeve they used a lot in the AHL.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
it sucks that we gave them a point, but we were much the better team in all three zones tonight.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
For the 5th straight game we've outposessed the other team. That Toronto disaster turned us around.

Dallas, Washington, SJ, Boston, and now Ottawa

Actual Thought*

Sens swiss cheese defence comes through! Gave them a point that we could really use. Even though Ottawa has given up more goals than all but one team in the east it is nice that we could score more than one.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Glendening, Miller, and Dekeyser weren't good.

Kronwall and Kindl weren't great either.

Larkin, Tatar, Nyquist, Datsyuk, Green, and Z were all great.

Nice to see Sheahan pot a goal tonight too.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If you can't find a shooting lane with only 6 skaters on the ice it means you're an idiot.

Tatar goes through these stretches every season it seems. Doesn't score as much as he wants so he tries waaaay too hard to dipsy doodle and he suffers for it. He projects as really cocky but it seems like he's just not comfortable enough with himself or his game to *just play right* and wait for the goals to come.

Nyquist is incredible this year. I hope this is him taking a stride because then I think he can be Datsyuk lite. He gains the zone well, he sees the ice well. He can't distribute or gain entry as well as Datsyuk but who can?

Larkin, what a beast. Nothing else to be said, this kid is so good.

AA is worth it. He may never be a great distributor of the puck or a defensive stalwart, but we can see that his speed, hands, and instinct to score are so high he creates several chances a game just from that. If he can round out the rest of his game, oh baby. Please AA, please.
I keep hoping Holland will finally admit his error and waive Kindl, but with one year left on his contract I fear we'll be seeing him next season. And he'll be making $3 mill.

I don't know a lot about AA (that's the nickname I was looking for instead of having to try and spell his last name!) but seems like he could be kind of like Helm but with some hands. What's happened to Helm, anyway??

Also fun watching Larkin blow past Karlsson in a nearly identical way as last time.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

Really? I mean, it's gimmicky, but it's pretty damn entertaining. Beats the hell out of a shootout.

More of an issue with Glendening, who just needs to haul him down the second that breaks down. Green is back-skating away to be an outlet when Glenny gets stick checked. He needs to haul him down, not much fault for Green as the emergency defender racing over.

People can crush Glendening over it and it was a bad play... He doesn't make as many as people like to say, it was unusual and honestly had a bigger issue with him not recognizing you fight another day and hauling Ryan straight down.

As Silky said it was also a great play by Ryan.

I chalked it up to bad play by both of them. But you're porbably right, it was more so on Glendenning. I just Thought Green let Ryan get around him a little too easy. Like ya said though it was a pretty slick move he got beat on, which makes it not quite so bad. Wasn't nearly as bad as when Karlson let Larkin get around him for the first goal -- I'm pretty sure that's like the third time Larkin's burned him on the exact same play in three separate games.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Zetterberg already slowing down. Pointless in his past 5 games. Fails the eye test too.. just hasn't been a difference maker out there. He did have that good outlet pass that eventually led to nyquists goal at least.

He's gonna be a trainwreck come game 60

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
3 on 3 ot to me is

If we lose, it sucks

if we win, its amazing

Also I think its entertaining watching other teams playing it. Nothing on the line lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad