Jan 2, 2014
A bar
I was at this game,

Green, marchenko.and kindl were easily the best dmen

Kronwall and dekeyser look like bottom pairing dmen

Larkin, nyquist, datsyuk, AA, sheahan were great

Helm is awful

Tatar is very meh, tries too hard and losses the puck too often

Didn't Tatar have a kind of slow start last year as well? Might be his thing, he is a moody player in the sense he over-complicates things if he isn't producing at the clip he is expected to.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Didn't Tatar have a kind of slow start last year as well? Might be his thing, he is a moody player in the sense he over-complicates things if he isn't producing at the clip he is expected to.
He has been a slow starter each year in the NHL pretty much, but last year he really got going around the 10 game mark or so. He is producing alright this year but he is not even remotely as noticeable as he can be when he's on his game. Like TSN guys said when he scored in OT, they were talking about how he's been reeeeeaaaallly quiet.

can't believe # of people critical of helm on this board. at worst he is a great 4th grinder in the tradition of chris draper.
Helm has been one of the guys playing with the most effort in the latest games. Just isn't doing anything offensively. I agree though, at worst he makes our 4th line better.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Sounds like the kind of debate that... my Defensive scores could solve....!!!

I scored

Kronwall +5 -2
Green +6 -1
Ericsson +4 -1
Dekeyser +3 -5
Kindl +5 -1
Marchenko +1 -1

Marchenko had a quiet solid game.
Kronwall made a few solid passes, but was relatively quiet.

Ericsson made a few solid skates, has been mobile.
Dekeyser had quite a BAD game actually. For those who noticed, GJ.

But easily best 2 D men tonight were Green and Kindl.

Kindl made almost no mistakes tonight, and looked very solid.

And as for Green. His defensive shortcomings are "over" exhagerated. He has looked quite good to me for a while.

(See my overall rankings of our D men, in the Statistical Thread.)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Can we please get Luke Glendening's ice time in check? Unless we are playing Tampa Bay, dude should be seeing 10-12 minutes a night.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Unhappy we gave the point back... But glad they stuck with it.

Great game from the kids. We need DK to step up though soon, not in love with his game lately.

DK and Kronner need to be better than they have been.

Definitely need both Kronwall and Dekeyser to step up, totally agree, both are better than they have played so far.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think they are better than this.

Well, I know for a fact Dekeyser doesn't typically make the type of mistakes in his own end he has so far this year.

And I also know that 14 shots for Kronwall in 18 games is bad and not typical for him.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Watching the highlights, I'm surprised Pulkkinen didn't get even one point.

Nice goal by Larkin and it's good to see Green providing the offense that he was brought in for.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Can we please get Luke Glendening's ice time in check? Unless we are playing Tampa Bay, dude should be seeing 10-12 minutes a night.

Red Wings need to stop taking a lot of penalties first. That's how Blashill punishes the team.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I have been very pleased with our play these past 5 games. We have regained our posession form and I expect to start winning a lot more games.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
They PLAY small. They have the least physical defense in the NHL. How many garbage goals does the other team get in front from the net not being cleared? Kronwall has forgotten who he was it seems, physically and just about everything else.

I was wrong about Marchenko. I thought he looked god awful the first batch of games then all of a sudden he looks like one of our best the last 3-4 games. He can make good passes, and he is super active in the o-zone. He sees open ice he's going for it, I love it. Draws a player with him to open up the middle or he'll take a pass. He gets outmuscled in corners and needs to be a bit harder on the puck.

Larkin's goal was hilarious, he knew Anderson was going to save the wraparound.

Kindl is such love hate. That guy can move the puck really well. BUT, how many times does he blindly flick the puck somewhere instead of being hit, it's ridiculous. He's a big dude too. Turnover machine but the puck is always on his stick it seems.

I'm done with Howard. He didn't have an awful game but he doesn't look confident to me, at all. He's almost lethargic. The SJ game was on him and this one he didn't look great to me either. It's almost a different feel for me watching a game with Petr in there. He has a swagger and confidence and you know he's good for something amazing every game. Much different feel.

Oh well, they got two. A lot more to be said in frustration but we got 2 and we are starting to look GOOD actually. Out possessing tough physical opponents.

so howard has two games where he's not lights out and you want to get rid of him :laugh:

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Wings win. Im happy. Nyquist is really playing well lately. Tatar is not but GW gives him a pass tonite

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I have been very pleased with our play these past 5 games. We have regained our posession form and I expect to start winning a lot more games.

and yet just last game you were ripping the team for the first 2 periods, saying the previous games were just a fluke and that you expected them to revert back to their early season form :dunno:

wings play has noticeably improved beginning with the first game they played in ottawa a few weeks back (with the exception of the toronto game)

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
so howard has two games where he's not lights out and you want to get rid of him :laugh:

Mrazek>Howard. It's that simple.

Howard loses you games and gives up soft goals. He's one of the few goalies who has lots of trouble stopping deflected pucks. He can't play the puck well. He looks small in the net and plays with no confidence etc. That great start he had is gone and his SV% has already dipped below .920, and is at .918 which is currently below the league average. Howard has lost us games vs. Carolina and San Jose already this year. He almost gave the game to Ottawa last night, when he was absolutely embarrassed by Bobby Ryan of all people.

So yeah, people want Mrazek to be the full time starter.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
and yet just last game you were ripping the team for the first 2 periods, saying the previous games were just a fluke and that you expected them to revert back to their early season form :dunno:

wings play has noticeably improved beginning with the first game they played in ottawa a few weeks back (with the exception of the toronto game)

I didn't say the past 5 games were a fluke. I said the season trend was that we are a ****** posession team and that wont change until we consistently outposses our opponents, which we certainly have not done. I am allowed to be pleased with our last 5 games, and say that they've played posession hockey for that stretch, without declaring us a posession team yet.

I ripped the team for 2 periods against Boston because they played like **** for 2 periods.

This point is irrelevant though because it was 2 periods out of 5 games. This might shock you, but yes, I can be happy with our play over a 5 game stretch even if we've had some bad periods.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I was there. I have now seen 9 of our 41 goals live, can we play all of our games in Ottawa. I got some pretty cool videos of the pregame, talked to blashill and green.

Datsyuk looks slow. Athanasiou needs to stay in this league. Abdelkader needs to shoot more. Howard looked shaky and out of position.

I accidentally smoked my girlfriend when I jumped up when Tatar scored in OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad