OT: Hurricanes Off Topic Lounge XII: GTA Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I can't believe I chickened out of betting because the line moved from 5 to 6.5. Stupid stupid.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
Apparently somebody is coming to the PNC Arena for a concert that is worthy of a mayoral announcement about it tomorrow. I'm already prepared to be disappointed. I've seen a few Kanye guesses, but I can't imagine that being a big enough to deal to involve the mayor.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Apparently somebody is coming to the PNC Arena for a concert that is worthy of a mayoral announcement about it tomorrow. I'm already prepared to be disappointed. I've seen a few Kanye guesses, but I can't imagine that being a big enough to deal to involve the mayor.

The ****ing mayor is announcing this? Nothing short of a resurrected Michael Jackson or Elvis should really warrant that.

Or maybe we're just that hard up for good entertainment.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia

The Rolling Stones? (not sure if they're even still touring)

Perhaps Monty Python's reunion tour is coming to town!

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I don't think so. PNC's had some solid bookings over the last year.

I'll spot you Roger Waters -- that one surprised me a little -- but aside from that it seems slightly pedestrian to me (in so far as we're a regular tour stop).

But I'll stay out of any music conversations around here, because my tastes are, well, odd.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'll spot you Roger Waters -- that one surprised me a little -- but aside from that it seems slightly pedestrian to me (in so far as we're a regular tour stop).

But I'll stay out of any music conversations around here, because my tastes are, well, odd.

Roger Waters was outstanding.
Eric Clapton was disappointing.
Rush was ok, but I'm not as big of a Rush fan.
Bob Seger was outstanding (and surprisingly so)
Trans Siberian Orchestra was great. I recommend you go at least once for the experience, especially if you have kids.

My son said RHCP and Muse were great (but I didn't see them)

That's the extend of the ones I have experience with in recent years at RBC/PNC

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Muse was outstanding IMO.

Nothing short of a band like U2 of current bands justifies a mayoral announcement, and there's no point to doing U2 at PNC when they can pack Carter-Finley easily.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

Better a pedestrian stop than getting passed by and that was my thought - Timberlake, Macklemore, Miley, Muse...big/popular music names are coming here rather than *just* going to Charlotte.

Nothing short of a band like U2 of current bands justifies a mayoral announcement, and there's no point to doing U2 at PNC when they can pack Carter-Finley easily.

Not necessarily - I think it depends on what sort of "feel" U2 is going for. At this point the 13th album isn't finished yet, although IIRC Bono said it would probably be out next year. That's a possibility then, but I think most bands wait until the album is finished before planning the tour.

Had McFarlane not said "concert" I'd have thought it might be that the ACC Tournament was going to move to PNC for a stretch.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
ACCT locations are set through 2016 already, and I can't see anybody getting on board with holding it at a team's home arena. Plus there's the long standing rumor that they want to move it to NYC in the future.

Lot of Garth Brooks guesses out there too, but I still don't see how that requires a scheduled mayoral announcement. Any single stop in Raleigh tour doesn't rate this IMO, somebody big better be doing a long string of shows in there for this much "hype."

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
In other news, I believe the Yinzer calls for Tomlin's head will resume any second now...

http://www.baltimorenewsjournal.com/2013/12/04/mike-tomlin-fined-100k/

In addition to the fine, because the interference impacted a play on the field, a modification or forfeiture of draft choices will be considered after the final order of the 2014 draft has been determined.

Tomlin’s fine is just the fourth reported fine of $100,000 or larger given to an NFL coach. The only larger fine on record was Bill Belichick’s $500,000 fine for Spygate.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC

U2 at Carter-Finley is still the greatest live performance I've ever been to, IMO.

Better a pedestrian stop than getting passed by and that was my thought - Timberlake, Macklemore, Miley, Muse...big/popular music names are coming here rather than *just* going to Charlotte.

I agree, it's good for Raleigh. But I'll still echo Guy that having a mayoral announcement is just, well, strange for a concert. It could be something akin to Furthur/Bonnaroo/some other multi-day, multi-band type affair. But everything I've heard today is singular ("concert") in nature. Most people seem to be assuming Garth Brooks as mentioned in this thread.

For the sake of levity, I'm going with this:

Jason Sullivan @jason0x21

Richard Petty just sitting in his car parked in the middle of the floor and revving his engine for like over three hours.

Last edited:

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
JR is actually announcing the concert WITH the mayor!

My guess: a Karmanos family band. Jason was "fired" to free up time for him to learn guitar. Peter plays the drums and sells the team to Quebec City. Danielle or whatever the hell her name is plays tambourine and gives out healthy snacks to the crowd. Chad Larose is the lead singer.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh

My guess: a Karmanos family band. Jason was "fired" to free up time for him to learn guitar. Peter plays the drums and sells the team to Quebec City. Danielle or whatever the hell her name is plays tambourine and gives out healthy snacks to the crowd. Chad Larose is the lead singer.

Strange. I always thought Chad would be telling us that there's no "i" in Teamocil, or at least not where we think.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
If getting people talking is what they were shooting for, they've definitely succeeded with this "big announcement".

But that's all for nothing if you don't announce something worth announcing.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

My guess is it's not even a concert. If JR is there, it must be hockey related.

My bet is that they're moving the Plymouth Whalers to Durham.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Elton John, Dionne Warrick, Gladys Knight, and Stevie Wonder are coming to perform an hour-long special of "That's what friends are for".

In all seriousness, I'd say prepare to be disappointed. Last year Columbia, SC was preparing for a mystery "big name" entertainer. Who was it? Justin Bieber.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
It's Billy Joel on February 9th. That was a lot of hype for a one night only Billy Joel performance.

Meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad