I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
12241738_960581290655471_1206281804874115099_n.jpg

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So I need some advice. I'm fairly certain my mother had some sort of ministroke last night.

The symptoms were all there. She had slurred speech, limited motor functions (she had difficulty removing an oven mitt from a drawer. Couldn't grab it with one hand after 4-5 tries, then got frustrated and easily grabbed it with the other), she was off balance and (by her own admission) had a headache.

The issue is, with the exception of the headache, she refuses to acknowledge what happened. Either she's ignoring the symptoms, or she's not aware its happening.

Because of this, she believes I'm joking with her or overreacting. Either way, the odds she sees a doctor about it is slim.

What can I do to A: get her to get checked out and B: keep her protected when I'm not around? I'm worried how many times this has happened that I (and apparently she) haven't been aware of.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So I need some advice. I'm fairly certain my mother had some sort of ministroke last night.

The symptoms were all there. She had slurred speech, limited motor functions (she had difficulty removing an oven mitt from a drawer. Couldn't grab it with one hand after 4-5 tries, then got frustrated and easily grabbed it with the other), she was off balance and (by her own admission) had a headache.

The issue is, with the exception of the headache, she refuses to acknowledge what happened. Either she's ignoring the symptoms, or she's not aware its happening.

Because of this, she believes I'm joking with her or overreacting. Either way, the odds she sees a doctor about it is slim.

What can I do to A: get her to get checked out and B: keep her protected when I'm not around? I'm worried how many times this has happened that I (and apparently she) haven't been aware of.

It's a very difficult situation as I've dealt with this with parents and in-laws. When they don't want to go to the Dr./don't want treatment, there, unfortunately, is not a lot you can do. There are 2 things I can think of that might help. Do you have siblings or other relatives that can help convince her? If so, maybe have some sort of sit down with her to try and convince her to at least get checked out. The other, is find a Dr. that might be able to make a house call and can check her out.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but something very similar to this was happening to my mother, although my father was around. We were all convinced it was mini-strokes but she didn't want to go to the DR. and it got worse. I finally told him he HAS to get her to a doctor ASAP, which he did. Turns out it wasn't a stroke and she had a brain tumor, but it had progressed to the point where it wasn't treatable.

My advice is do anything you can to get her to see a doctor, no matter how difficult that may be.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I do have a brother and he saw the same thing I did last night. We both tried to talk to her about if, but we were met with "Don't worry about it. I'm fine. It's just a headache, etc"

This isn't the first time we've seen her in a fugue state and a bit off balance, but the oven mitt part was new and its what scares us the most. I'm not sure how she couldn't see something wrong then.

I already told her if we see anything like that again, we're calling 911. But I'd like her to get checked out before the next time. If it was a ministroke, I've read those can serve as a precursor to a full stroke and that's something I'd like to avoid.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Just called her to try and convince her again. She said she had a physical last month and everything was fine, so she's not worried.

I'm going to talk to my brother and we'll approach her face-to-face tonight.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Just called her to try and convince her again. She said she had a physical last month and everything was fine, so she's not worried.

I'm going to talk to my brother and we'll approach her face-to-face tonight.

She has to be honest with the doctor about what happened. It could have been a TSI, but sounds like a mini stroke like my mom had.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That's the thing, I'm not sure if she's simply ignoring it, or she honestly doesn't remember it happening.

If she's just being stubborn, that's an easy fix. I'll go to the doctor with her and explain the situation, even if she protests.

If she doesn't remember, or isn't aware of the symptoms, then asking her to be honest won't do much good, since as far as she's aware, she's being honest when she says nothing is wrong.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well, that went about as well as expected. She claims what my brother and I saw yesterday was a series of coincidences and/or she doesn't remember them happening (slurring her speech, for example), so refuses to go to the doctor.

I'm at a loss at what to do now. I know I can't take no for an answer, but I can't force her to go either. So I just repeated what I said yesterday: I'm keeping an eye on her and if I see if the slightest hint of something wrong, I'm calling 911 and she doesn't get to say no.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Good luck BLB. Another idea. I know this sounds callous, but in addition to calling 911, if you, or your brother, are there, you should use your phone and record it. I'm not saying ignore her needs, as that should be top priority, but it might help.

Also, can you talk to her Dr.? I get that there is a client/patient confidentiality, but it might be good to at least let him know so that if she goes in again, he can be on the lookout..

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I'm not sure about recording her, but I'll definitely see if I can talk to her doctor.

Thanks for all your help.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
When my wife had her seizure, I gave a run down to the doctors of everything and they was blown away with the details, but they wish I had video.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Bleedgreen told me that if the ambulance shows up, they will almost certainly take you to the hospital to prevent being sued in that 1 in a 100 case where everything looks fine and then they drop dead by a blood blot later or something.

So calling 911 is a great way to get her to the emergency room for tests.

I'd also tell her what you did immediately after you did it...but that's just me. It would give her a chance to compose her argument and possibly assuage off the EMT's though.

This isn't BG's opinion, but if you tell the 911 operator that "Older woman has signs of a stroke", I'd doubt they'd refuse to send an ambulance.

(BG's opinion was provided for a irrelevant matter several years ago)

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Looks like an octopus stuffed inside a turkey, surrounded by a giant crab.

Crabturpus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad