OT: Hurricanes Lounge XXII: Wisdom Teeth Removal edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
had mine out last year at 31 because i got some bad advice over a decade ago about leaving them if they weren't bothering me.

on the plus side, percocet is fun

on the minus side, man what an ordeal, glad i went under though

my two top ones went into my sinus so i had open holes in them for a while until they healed shut and my bottom left one was impacted and sideways and wrapped around the feeling nerve for the lower left part of my face. could not feel that quarter of my face for like two months because the nerve got bruised as **** when they were taking it out because they had to drill into my jaw bone to get at the tooth and for that reason, wanted to make as small a hole as possible.

glad those ****ers are gone though

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
The good thing is I only had two on the bottom. Surgery went well and all that jazz. The bad thing is I'm hungry for something other than ice cream or soup and I don't think I've even enough food for the Percocet I feel I need. Blowing through gauze too

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
The good thing is I only had two on the bottom. Surgery went well and all that jazz. The bad thing is I'm hungry for something other than ice cream or soup and I don't think I've even enough food for the Percocet I feel I need. Blowing through gauze too

my bed looked like a murder scene after I woke up after the first nite.

funny thing about the "being hungry" part I can relate to, is that after mine got taken out my gf at the time came over to spend the nite in case I needed anything. so we're just lying in my bed and she turns the tv on and wtf does she do?

goes straight to the food network for a diners, drive ins & dives marathon and being the nice guy i am, i didn't say anything, but in my head i was literally screaming "ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME??!?!" :laugh:

I'm on a liquid diet w/ no alcohol for a week and that of all things is the marathon you wanna watch? :laugh:

I am no Guy Fieri fan, but the food on that show is GOAT

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
my bed looked like a murder scene after I woke up after the first nite.

funny thing about the "being hungry" part I can relate to, is that after mine got taken out my gf at the time came over to spend the nite in case I needed anything. so we're just lying in my bed and she turns the tv on and wtf does she do?

goes straight to the food network for a diners, drive ins & dives marathon and being the nice guy i am, i didn't say anything, but in my head i was literally screaming "ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME??!?!" :laugh:

I'm on a liquid diet w/ no alcohol for a week and that of all things is the marathon you wanna watch? :laugh:

I am no Guy Fieri fan, but the food on that show is GOAT

Haha. If I saw Guy I probably would have puked right then.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
There are 32 standard teeth in the human mouth. Of these, teeth 1, 16, 17, and 32 are the third molars, aka wisdom teeth. The number 22 refers to the lower left canine tooth (the pointy one next to the four front teeth)and is not to be confused with the wisdom teeth.

Occasionally, a person may grow fourth or fifth molars; the existence of extra teeth is a condition known as hyperdontia. However, these supernumerary teeth may show up in any dental area of the mouth, not just behind the molars, and may take on many forms. The current world record for extra teeth is 232... yes, two hundred thirty-two. There are five basic classifications of hyperdontia:

1. Supplemental (where the tooth has a normal shape for the teeth in that series);
2. Tuberculate (also called barrel shaped);
3. Conical (also called peg shaped);
4. Compound odontoma (multiple small tooth-like forms);
5. Complex odontoma (a disorganized mass of dental tissue)

I do not recommend performing a Google image search for hyperdontia.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I am one of the (un)lucky ones that has 5 wisdom teeth. I also got the advice from multiple dentists to just leave them in if they don't bother you, so I have. While they aren't causing a huge problem, I wish I had them removed in my 20s, vs. dealing with them in my more advanced years.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I had mine done at some point in high school. All four at once. They were threatening to mess up all the work my braces did. Then I had to get braces again anyway because my tongue was pushing the teeth out of place. :rant:

Unfortunately, there are no videos of me that resemble these. It would probably be kind of boring anyway. I think I remember knowing how much I was out of it, getting in the car, and just sitting quietly until we got home.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I remember very little about getting my wisdom teeth out. I remember counting down after getting the gas, waking up what seemed like minutes later, exiting the office in a haze, and waking up with dried blood just pooled around my pillow a few hours later. I also remember the pain in the few days that followed.

I'm sure I said some interesting things, but I can't remember anything about that.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I had my wisdom teeth taken out along with 4 other teeth before I had braces. All I remember is being rushed out of the recovery room, making it to reception and then throwing up in front of the entire waiting room full of patients.

Still too high to even care or be embarrassed.

My brother went to the same place to have his wisdom teeth out. Had had X-rays previously yet they slice open all his gums to find he only has two wisdom teeth.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Back when I was in the ICU hopped up on every drug imaginable, I told the nurse to tell my doctor to "Go **** himself" with my mom, dad and high school principal present. Also dealt with visual and auditory hallucinations, lots of throw up, and walking around the nurses desk with my butt exposed.

I don't think I could tick off any more check boxes if I tried

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I had my wisdom teeth taken out along with 4 other teeth before I had braces. All I remember is being rushed out of the recovery room, making it to reception and then throwing up in front of the entire waiting room full of patients.

Still too high to even care or be embarrassed.

My brother went to the same place to have his wisdom teeth out. Had had X-rays previously yet they slice open all his gums to find he only has two wisdom teeth.

Same for me, before I got braces they pulled 4 teeth.

Wisdom teeth came out years later. To take all 4 out, they put me under, I woke up, took some Tylenol, and by the time 8pm rolled around, I was looking to go out drinking with my buddies.

Needless to say, my dentist said it was among the easiest surgeries he'd ever performed. I guess I was super-lucky. I remember my older brother being laid up for 4 days after he got his wisdoms out.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Back when I was in the ICU hopped up on every drug imaginable, I told the nurse to tell my doctor to "Go **** himself" with my mom, dad and high school principal present. Also dealt with visual and auditory hallucinations, lots of throw up, and walking around the nurses desk with my butt exposed.

I don't think I could tick off any more check boxes if I tried

Why was your principal there?

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
How has nobody yet made a joke regarding this and your username? I'm disappointed in you guys.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
How has nobody yet made a joke regarding this and your username? I'm disappointed in you guys.

because that is just mean

novacane is fine for a cavity filling, hell, sometimes if they are shallow i get them done w/o freezing because i would rather endure 15 minutes of pain than three hours of wanting to punch myself in the face

but novacane ain't gonna cut it for full on surgery w/ bone breaking and slicing up ur gums

part of the reason i paid lots extra to go under was because i am told that the "crack" you hear when the surgeon is reefing on your upper teeth to pull them out is vomit inducing. no desire to hear that :laugh:

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
Section 308
I got my wisdom teeth out when I was 17. I was on the moon for about 24 hours because of the gas. I very vaguely remember my mom waking me up a few times to change the gauze in my mouth.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I got my wisdom teeth out when I was 17. I was on the moon for about 24 hours because of the gas. I very vaguely remember my mom waking me up a few times to change the gauze in my mouth.

weirdest thing for me was the pain was nowhere near what i thought it would be

my surgeon kinda scared me when he said something along the lines of: "you're pretty big, not sure tylenol and ibuprofen will cut it. here's a prescription for something stronger"

and i was like whoa ****, what is this gonna be like :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->