How much will having arguably the worst 1C in the Western Conference hurt the Predators?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Johansen and Turris combined: 31 goals, 74 assists, 105 points
Nathan MacKinnon: 39 goals, 58 assists, 97 points

Mackinnon's 107 point pace would have given him more points than Johansen and Turris combined.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Mackinnon's 107 point pace would have given him more points than Johansen and Turris combined.

And? Oh, I forgot, this is HF. Where all that matters is l33t points totals brah!

The Avs are as deep as a kiddie pool after their top line...

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
You don’t think there’s a difference between a random regular season game and a 7 game series where other teams exploit every weakness?

Wasnt a problem in the two and a half 7(well, 4,6, and 6) game series that we won with him last year.

Anyone trying to espouse a thesis that Johansen is a weakness or will be the cause of our downfall hasn't been paying attention.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
:thumbu:

Thought you were playing a different game with the post ;)

It is a funny stat, no denying that. Just don't think it's all that relevant in this series is all.

I mean, I think it'll be plenty relevant. I think MacKinnon will easily score significantly more than either one of Turris or Johansen

Is Yakupov going to be healthy scratched every game?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't know if this is the reason but every single playoff predictor I've seen seems to favor the Jets over the Predators rather heavily.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
I'd probably take Johansen over Karlsson and Staal, even with their amazing years, and Turris is up there for being the best 2C in the conference(behind Carter, close with Couture, and Kelser). When that's your weakness then you're pretty good. Their defence is insane. Rinne has been great but I'm not sure I still trust him TBH.

If they lose it won't be because Johansen isn't good enough

This is exactly how I feel as well. Up until the injury last playoff, Johansen was playing as well as anyone and his line was probably the best in the playoffs while he was still in there.

Just curious, but what has he shown/not shown you that would make you feel this way?

I'm guessing the Finals last year because nothing this season suggests Pekka is anything other than locked in.

That series 3 years ago where they outplayed Chicago but Rinne didn't show up is another reason I still don't fully trust him in the playoffs.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I think it might become a problem in the conference finals but I'm afraid it won't be too much of a problem in the first two rounds. At least it won't be a problem in the first round because if there is one team in the whole league (and there aren't many) which almost completely outclasses the Avs it's Nashville. Every game this season was a no-excuses-they-are-simply-better-this-year loss.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

And yet the preds finished how many points ahead of the Avs??

MacKinnon is on an island. He has to carry the Avs or they miss the playoffs.

Johansen is a complementary player.

We have the best D and the likely Vezina goalie. We dont have to have a Hart candidate 1C.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I don't know if this is the reason but every single playoff predictor I've seen seems to favor the Jets over the Predators rather heavily.
Last year no one picked the Predators over Chicago either. On NHL Network most everyone picked Nashville to win the Cup.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
We are so screwed!!! Turris was the #1 center on a conference finalist last year and Johansen was the #1 on another conference finalist last year, if only they showed up in the playoffs.

Wait - don't they both play for Nashville this year?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Wait
Dont tell me..

Jake Allen trying to make a save?

What do I win?
Oh if that was Allen he would have fell into the lake, lost his hat and been eaten by a piranha. Dude is not a good (consistent) goalie. See, we can be friends Perd fans.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Not a whole lot because 1C is perhaps the most overrated position in hockey and they can compensate for it quite well in other areas. Most notably the D, which I consider significantly more important than C overall.
What was the last team to win the cup without a legit #1?

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
If you're implying that Johansen isn't a legit 1C you're grasping.

Just because he isn't a superstar doesn't mean hes not a "legit #1"
He's not a legit #1. He is a fringe one at best. Legit #1 do not put up 50 points sorry

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Pretty widely known. You know when they were tops in the West all those times and always touted as having the best D in the league and missing a top C.

Oh, a Preds fan... New to hockey. Got it. This all happened before you watched hockey. So nevermind. :laugh:

The only time the Blues have had a better blueline than the preds was in lockout season and 2013-2014, but even then they didn't have the best D in the league. Hawks did.

Keith-Seabrook
Oduya-Hjalmarsson
Leddy-mep but still great #6Dman

Yeah that top 5 was insane.

If you're stating that the Blues had the best D because of their defensive game, I've told everyone this countless times that team defense =/= defenseman. Blues have always had one of the best defensive forward corps in the league which helps them out a ton. Even from a pure defensive standpoint from defenseman, it's still debatable whether or not the Blues defenseman are better overall than the Preds. But the Blues are the better defensive team from an entire skaters perspective speaking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad