How much will having arguably the worst 1C in the Western Conference hurt the Predators?

Nov 24, 2006
I was thinking about it today, and I realized every playoff team in the Western Conference has a better center than anyone on Nashville. I would take all of Karlsson (this year at least), Pavelski, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Staal, MacKinnon, and Schiefele over Johansen. Will this be a problem for the Predators?

Well, they just won the President's Trophy, so no.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Not a whole lot because 1C is perhaps the most overrated position in hockey and they can compensate for it quite well in other areas. Most notably the D, which I consider significantly more important than C overall.

D might be the most overrated position in hockey.

A 2-way 1st line centre is far more valuable than even the best defenceman.

Reactions: NeedleInTheHay

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
:huh:

J9UCUVn.gif

Definitely a solid rookie debut by our 1OA draft pick!

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Not a whole lot because 1C is perhaps the most overrated position in hockey and they can compensate for it quite well in other areas. Most notably the D, which I consider significantly more important than C overall.
LOL

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Doubt it hurts them, as others have said that defense, goaltending as well as their depth should help make up for a lack of a true #1 centre.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He looked like a top No. 1 in the POs last year so if he is that guy again, they’ll be more than ok.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We are so screwed!!! Turris was the #1 center on a conference finalist last year and Johansen was the #1 on another conference finalist last year, if only they showed up in the playoffs.

Haha thank goodness someone can use deductive reasoning. Havent seen the best of Turris yet he is a playoff rockstar and absolutely clutch in overtime.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The formula seems to be number of #1 C's + #1 D's = 2 plus having a solid goalie. Nashville has 4 #1 d-men, they'll be fine. I'll be shocked if they don't make it to the SCF.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

I accidentally quoted myself. That's why I was trying to delete it. :laugh:

I can't delete this post either. Maybe they have the Playoffs board setup differently?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I was thinking about it today, and I realized every playoff team in the Western Conference has a better center than anyone on Nashville. I would take all of Karlsson (this year at least), Pavelski, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Staal, MacKinnon, and Schiefele over Johansen. Will this be a problem for the Predators?
Probably won't matter when they go back to the finals with the best D in the league and Rinne behind them

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I disagree that he is the "worst" 1C in the WC playoff picture. He may not be Kopitar or Getzlaf but he and his game are built for the playoffs.

If anything, some of the higher scoring, all offense, 1Cs listed are a lot more vulnerable.

Another thing, if you're a 1C on a team that lacks C depth after you, you will have a much harder time as teams key in on you. If Turris gets going, and he should but I'd like to see it first, he'll take a lot of pressure off Johansen. That's why they got him. The other 1Cs, they might not have this as a strength.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Predators have the best team on paper. However the Capitals had the best team on paper the last few playoffs. When you win the presidents trophy, you become the hunted. The Predators played the hunter role better than most do last year. They are no longer that. I wouldnt be surprised to see a hungry team like the Jets or even Anaheim take them out. I think things will be much more difficult to get back to where they were last year. Too much competition and its tough to go far after playing as many games as they did last year. They definitely have the team to do it, but wont be easy.

Reactions: triggrman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad