How much will having arguably the worst 1C in the Western Conference hurt the Predators?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Considering how great he played during last year's playoffs and the fact that we added Johansen, Turris and Bonino to the roster since the finals, I'm not really worried.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It didn't last year but it's a valid question. Preds won't be sneaking up on anybody this year.

Tough to see them dropping 4 of 7 to the Avs though...

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
*This offseason

HF: “Nashville is one center away from being a year after year cup contender. They’ll have zero holes in their lineup.”

*Preds add Turris & Bonino on top of Johansen, Fisher, Sissons, & Jarnkrok.

HF: “Nashville has the worst center depth in the west. Probably bounced in the 2nd round”

Color me confused.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
It didn't last year but it's a valid question. Preds won't be sneaking up on anybody this year.

Tough to see them dropping 4 of 7 to the Avs though...
Definitely. However, the target has been on their backs the whole season. They have been the hunted for awhile now.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Johansen had a bit of a down year, he might be the worst 1C in the conference but I wouldn't call him 'bad'. They can still go far, they went far with him as their 1C last year and played great in the playoffs before he got hurt, he outplayed Toews a healthy Kesler in the conference finals, that first line with Arvidsson and Forsberg is a very domiannt line. It might hurt them in a series against Winnipeg where the matchup would likely be Scheifele vs Johansen, but then again I'm not sure the loser of a Winnipeg/Nashville can be criticized that much given that they finished 1/2 in the league.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Definitely. However, the target has been on their backs the whole season. They have been the hunted for awhile now.

I am thinking more in terms of who can adjust well to counter Laviolette's style. It's not easy he's been successful with it for a long time with 3 teams now.

There's a reason the 06 Hurricanes are unanimously the worst Cup winner ever :laugh:

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
*This offseason

HF: “Nashville is one center away from being a year after year cup contender. They’ll have zero holes in their lineup.”

*Preds add Turris & Bonino on top of Johansen, Fisher, Sissons, & Jarnkrok.

HF: “Nashville has the worst center depth in the west. Probably bounced in the 2nd round”

Color me confused.

Standard HF hypocrisy and ever changing parameters

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Haha thank goodness someone can use deductive reasoning. Havent seen the best of Turris yet he is a playoff rockstar and absolutely clutch in overtime.
27 points in 46 games screams playoff rockstar? low expectations then

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Pretty widely known. You know when they were tops in the West all those times and always touted as having the best D in the league and missing a top C.

[MOD]/QUOTE]

And another knee slapper. Here's a hint.. when you're in a hole, stop digging. Blues havent had the best D in the central division in recent memory.

Nobody outside you Blues Homer's has said/thought your D was better than Nashville all the way back to the Weber-Suter days.

And if following hockey for 20 years qualifies as a "new to hockey" then I'm guessing more than half of hf is "new to hockey"

So enjoy your sour grapes and your early tee times. See you in the fall when your team will still not have the best D, or forwards, or goalie in the division

Last edited by a moderator:

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Not a chance they will be able to overcome it. It will be the reason they get eliminated. It showed last playoffs and this regular season they can’t overcome it.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Johansen isn't the best 1 C in the Western Conference of teams in the playoffs, but he's a solid 1/2 punch with Turris. That will help. As much as I dislike the Preds, Johansen isn't the one who'll hurt them...it's going to be if Rinne can keep up his stellar season.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
To be fair to the OP, when was the last time a cup winner did not have a top-tier 1C?

Before last year it had been an eternity since someone did it with no 1D. Also Ryjo played like a 1C last year in the playoffs thats what matters. I do think its a relatively valid concern tho.

Reactions: libertarian

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Didn't seem to be a problem literally all season. I guess this is when I'm told "playoffs are different" but I'm given no actual reason for why it'll be different.

You don’t think there’s a difference between a random regular season game and a 7 game series where other teams exploit every weakness?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad