How much will having arguably the worst 1C in the Western Conference hurt the Predators?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Did everyone forget that the Predators were 2 wins away from a Cup with Johansen literally last season? :laugh:
To be fair, he got injured before the finals. It makes perfect sense that the cup runner up added Johansen, Turris and Bonino to their finals lineup, and people question how much their C depth will hurt them.

:dunno:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He said a 1C. Not center depth. A team with 2x 2C and a 3C and 4C can definitely win the Cup. A team can be lacking a legitimate 1C and still have solid center depth.

No they can't when was the last time that happened?

Crosby Malkin
Crosby Malkin
Towes
Kopitar
Towes
Kopitar
Bergeron
Towes
Crosby Malkin
Datsyuk
Andy Macdonald there is your best argument but he had 78 points and 85 the previous season.

Staal
Lecaviler

It hasn't happened going back to 2004

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Not a whole lot because 1C is perhaps the most overrated position in hockey and they can compensate for it quite well in other areas. Most notably the D, which I consider significantly more important than C overall.

Is this for real?

Anyways, Johansen is an addition since they made the Finals last year, and did people forget him against Kesler last year? I think Johansen is lazy, but he was a horse in the playoffs last year before getting hurt. If he wasn't hurt and they ended up winning it all he probably would've had a Conn Smythe last year at the rate he was going.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
No they can't when was the last time that happened?

Crosby Malkin
Crosby Malkin
Towes
Kopitar
Towes
Kopitar
Bergeron
Towes
Crosby Malkin
Datsyuk
Andy Macdonald there is your best argument but he had 78 points and 85 the previous season.

Staal
Lecaviler

It hasn't happened going back to 2004

Yes, because it hasn't happened recently, it has never happened, and will never happen, ever. Sound logic.

The point was, you said center depth. The Hawks won 3 Cups with mediocre/thrown together center depth. :thumbu:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
October 17th

Preds 4 Avs 1

November 18th

Preds 5 Avs 2

March 4th

Preds 4 Avs 3 (OT)

March 16th

Preds 4 Avs 2

Yep, clearly Mackinnon is too much for the Preds to handle

Pens swept the Bruins in 2013....Reg season means sqaut.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

And a lockout shortened season means even less. Not to mention you're talking a 1 v 4 conference finals not a 1 v 8 (and 16 overall) opening round.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
We shall see.

You should double down and make a bet if you are so set on the Preds losing. Avs have no Varly, and no Johnson. Preds can Johansen can shadow MacKinnon's line (which is also the only scary line the Avs have) and limit them. Rest of the Avs from lines 2-4 are miles weaker and calling them the favorite is just a hilairously dumb hot take

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You should double down and make a bet if you are so set on the Preds losing. Avs have no Varly, and no Johnson. Preds can Johansen can shadow MacKinnon's line (which is also the only scary line the Avs have) and limit them. Rest of the Avs from lines 2-4 are miles weaker and calling them the favorite is just a hilairously dumb hot take

Never called them the favorite.
I just expect an upset. Especially with how hot Mack is.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

His impact will be pretty limited compared to his stretch at the end of the regular season. Johansen's line and the preds best shutdown pair will probably be on them as thats the only line the Avs had that can consistently score.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
His impact will be pretty limited compared to his stretch at the end of the regular season. Johansen's line and the preds best shutdown pair will probably be on them as thats the only line the Avs had that can consistently score.

Sodas line has been pretty consistent all season aswell.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Nashville is a team built on depth. If they lose I don't think that's the reason, given what they achieved last season with less. Turris as your #2 C is fantastic, and despite being overpaid, Bonino is a great #3 C. And if an injury hits, all of their centres are able to move up a line and not miss a beat, at least in a pinch short term

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

I agree regular season results between two teams means nothing when predicting playoff results. However, there is absolutely no basis for anyone to assert the Preds can't handle Mack. Nothing in previous history indicates that. He's awesome so he will produce some offense. Preds will be trying to contain, not completely shut down, Mack.

I feel strongly Arvy, Joey and Forsberg will either match or get close to Mackinnon's line's numbers for the whole series and if that happens it's game over.

Reactions: Aardvarksson

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

One line teams don't win in the playoffs. The Preds are too good on the back end and in goal to let Mack's line run all over them. Unsung heros from lines 2-4 will have to step up but on paper the Preds have a significant advantage in those areas. Of course, games aren't played on paper. Let's see what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad