How have your 2017 picks progressed

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Chytil-Very good. He's top 5-10 in a re-draft.
Andersson-He's been okay. I think he was over-drafted, but he'll be a helpful NHL player.
Crawley-He's been okay. Might be a bottom pairing D in the NHL, might not be one.
Sjalin-He had an up and down season. Started out well, but then got injured, and when he returned he didn't play much.
Lakatos-Bad season, probably won't make the NHL, but he could still turn it around, and be an NHL'er. He has bottom 6 potential, but needs to be better next season.
Barron-Very good. He's been good for one of the best teams in college hockey as a freshman.
Virta-Pretty good. An improvement off his last season. Could compete for a roster spot on the NHL team next season.
Zero chance

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
What if I was a GM picking in the top 10? Zero chance? ;)

Name 10 players better than Chytil though.
I can name a lot more than 10, and you aren't a GM.

Hischier
Patrick
Petterson
Makar
Mittelstadt
Heiskanen
Tolvanen
Frost
Liljegren
Valimaki
Glass
Andersson
Necas
Valardi

Maybe Rasmussen... then you got Chytil and Thomas near the 15 spot..

Very few legit list will have Chytil top 10, none top 5.... who do you put him over in the top 5? Who?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Red Wings
9th - Rasmussen -Honestly, even forgetting about how disappointing this pick is, he was a bit disappointing this season. He improved a grand total of 4 points. For all the bragging about how great he's been, he's managed fewer goals and only handful more points in just three fewer games. That's awful.
38th Lindstrom -- Has picked up his game since returning from the WJCs, where he was simply OK. Hasn't been bad, but hasn't lit it up, either.
71st Kotkansalo - Had an OK season at Boston U. Nothing special.
79th Zablocki - Dropped from 28 goals and 54 points to 12 goals 31 points. Traded twice. He's been on 4 WHL teams in 2 years.
83rd Gallant - Dropped from 21-26-47 to 16-15-31. Another Ouch.
88th Petruzzelli -- Started slow. Finished considerably lower than his partner in goal at Quinnipiac. - His partner is just a sophomore, which could be a problem for Detroit.
100th Setkov - Accomplished nothing. Looked awful at the WJCs, but he was exploited as the big minute D on an awful team.
131st Fraser - Dropped from 6-13=19 to 3-8-11
162nd Adams -- Lit up the USHL as a 20 year old, scoring 37 goals. But he's scored just 4 goals at Union College as a 21 year old freshman.
164th Webb - Scored 1 assist last year in 12 games. This year he's at 1-3-4 in 66 games.
193rd Gilmour - undersized center whent 26-21-47 last year and his at 9-16-25 this year.

You expect to see progress.
You expect to see your high picks turn it up 1-2 notches.
You hope those late picks do something that make you believe in them.

The Red Wings prospects from last year have simply done very well
Scouting director Wright didn't prioritize skill and talent and this is what happens when you don't prioritize skill and talent.

There's not a single draft pick who's clearly stepped up. That's almost unheard of.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Hischier
Patrick
Petterson
Makar
Mittelstadt
Heiskanen
Tolvanen
Frost
Liljegren
Valimaki
Glass
Andersson
Necas
Valardi

Very few legit list will have Chytil top 10, none top 5.... who do you put him over in the top 5? Who?

@Lays

Reactions: Lays

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

Hischier
Patrick
Petterson
Makar
Mittelstadt
Heiskanen
Tolvanen
Frost
Liljegren
Valimaki
Glass
Andersson
Necas
Valardi

Spelt Vilardi wrong bud
Refer to my other thread we were debating in. As a Rangers fan, Chytil is clearly ahead of Andersson
Also clearly ahead of, Necas, Glass, Valimaki, Liljegren, Frost
“Maybe Rasmussen” is laughable
You’re underrating Thomas as well
Give me a half decent argument for Valimaki/Rasmussen/Necas/Andersson/Frost over Chytil and I’ll be seriously impressed. Especially Valimaki/Rasmussen
Chytil would go around 6-8 in a redraft and I think everyone else can agree
Again, please refer to the other thread we were debating in, after seeing those points there is NO way you can say Chytil would be around 15. It’s either you can’t accept being wrong or you have some dislike for the Rangers, sure, opinions are opinions but after all Chytil has been doing I don’t get how you can be so ignorant

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Unless a prospect really overperforms or underperforms, there really shouldnt be any big changes.

You cant blame Frost for being in the OHL but those are still the facts right now. Many players tear up junior hockey but are failing at the next level. Still early but it looks like Chytil at least made that next step AND he was drafted ahead of Frost already.

Everything might change eventually but this is how it is currently. You pick the most proven option based on logical thinking. Unfortunately I only notice homerism.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Red Wings
9th - Rasmussen -Honestly, even forgetting about how disappointing this pick is, he was a bit disappointing this season. He improved a grand total of 4 points. For all the bragging about how great he's been, he's managed fewer goals and only handful more points in just three fewer games. That's awful.
38th Lindstrom -- Has picked up his game since returning from the WJCs, where he was simply OK. Hasn't been bad, but hasn't lit it up, either.
79th Zablocki - Dropped from 28 goals and 54 points to 12 goals 31 points. Traded twice. He's been on 4 WHL teams in 2 years.
88th Petruzzelli -- Started slow. Finished considerably lower than his partner in goal at Quinnipiac. - His partner is just a sophomore, which could be a problem for Detroit.
100th Setkov - Accomplished nothing. Looked awful at the WJCs, but he was exploited as the big minute D on an awful team.
162nd Adams -- Lit up the USHL as a 20 year old, scoring 37 goals. But he's scored just 4 goals at Union College as a 21 year old freshman.
164th Webb - Scored 1 assist last year in 12 games. This year he's at 1-3-4 in 66 games.
193rd Gilmour - undersized center whent 26-21-47 last year and his at 9-16-25 this year.

Scouting director Wright didn't prioritize skill and talent and this is what happens when you don't prioritize skill and talent.

There's not a single draft pick who's clearly stepped up. That's almost unheard of.

Many of these picks were suspect at the time. Now it looks worse than it did then. We need better

Reactions: Killerjas

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Robert Thomas has done nothing but exceeded expectations. Kostin is doing ok in the AHL. Kind of tough due to us not having our own team. He's getting 4th line minutes. Torpedochenko is having a good year
Kostin is not playing on the 4th line, Avs prospects get 4th line duty or sent to the ECHL. He's just playing for a coach that doesn't believe in offense. They've bent over backward to accommodate Blues prospects.

Dabeast

Jun 13, 2014
South Florida
I’m really happy with Hepo, Gildon, and Repo relative to their draft spots

Tippett is good, but not amazing (relative to draft spot again) , and I don’t know enough about Inamoto

FookinPuck

Nov 16, 2017
He was a bit of a reach but 15-25? He’s impressed everywhere this season, from being the best player for Sweden at Hlinka, to starting off slow in the SHL but lighting it up at the end, great WJC, and is doing well in the AHL. I think the travel excuse was legit
2017 picks who are above him in no order
Chytil
EP
Makar
Tolvanen
Nico
Nolan
Glass
Mittelstadt
Makar
Heiskanen
Vilardi
Thomas
That puts him at 13, Necas was impressive at WJC but as was Andersson, as much as I like Necas and had him in my top 10 last year, he hasn’t done anything else to prove he’s better than Lias
I’d love to hear an argument for who you have above him
Sure he was a reach, but I’m very happy with the pick. NYR needs a leader. Lias also has in my opinion a top 3 defensive game from this draft
Chytil has proven he is better than Lias but Necas hasn't? You can brush off the WJC as just 1 tournament but Necas was a top 3 player there and has done great back home. I don't see what he hasn't done.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Has the overall improvement of this class in its draft year been abnormal? It wasn't really viewed as a strong group, but there are some potential star level players starting to blossom.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Nico: God among men. Nico is life. Love him until the end of time. Not generational, but he's the franchise center we've always needed.

Boqvist: Playing a consistent top-6 role for Brynas in the SHL. 13 points in 23 games, and made the WJC in a top-6 role there. So overall, solid improvement. Have heard some consistency issues...some nights he creates plays, then other nights he floats and waits for the plays to come to him, but that can be fixed with good coaching.

Zetterlund: Definitely exceeded expectations this year. Because of his ability to play the heavy Landeskog-esque game, he was able to carve himself a consistent bottom 6 role in the SHL. Also, made the WJC team this year even when being considered a stretch and looked pretty good. Overall, happy with his development.

Walsh: Truly a surprise year. Entered Harvard as a true freshman, and forced himself onto the top pairing next to Adam Fox. Almost made the WJC team too, but not a big disappointment because him being considered was awesome enough. A lot of his point came on the PP, so we expect him to take a bigger role next year and improve.

Popugayev: It's complicated... The trade away from Moose Jaw last year really effed with him, and it carried over this year. Seemingly lost the passion to compete with Prince George because he simply didn't want to be there. Decided to go back to Russia, but he's been all over the place. Some reports that he has played under a minute in some KHL games... It's hard to see what turn his development is going to take, whether it's for the better or worse. If he were to take a good turn, it's encouraging to know that he didn't go back for the lure of Russian money ala '"The Russian Factor." He seemed like a kid who just wanted to go back home while going through a tough struggle in a non-native country and culture. He looked great in our development camp so there still is promise... it's just a matter if he's going to be put into a position to succeed.

Senn: Don't know too much, but is statistically having a worse year. Contract-wise, we have Schneider, Kinkaid, Lack, Blackwood, Appleby, and now Cam Johnson out of North Dakota. He even have Cormier but he isn't signed yet. Got to think that we don't see him as an option anymore. But I'm not a scout, so who knows. A lot of goalies for only so many pro positions.

Studenic: Very happy with him. Incredibly fluid skater and it showed in our prospect camp and tournament. Made a huge improvement this year and started off really strong. The acquisition of Thomas juggled the lines and he was bumped down, so his offense took a bit of a hit but his play has undoubtedly been strong. Could potentially see him in Binghamton next year.

Talvitie: One of my favorite picks. Outstanding two-way game and has as hard of a shot as I've ever seen for a kid his age. Incredible year in the Jr. A league in Finland, and was named League MVP. Should have been in the Liiga, but his signing and commitment to Penn State for next year prevented that. Could seem him dominate the NCAA next year, then turn pro right after that. Incredible for a 6 round pick. We seem to be good with those...

Chainey: Had an inconsistent year last year, so he undoubtedly fell. Scooped him up in the 7th round and he's had a major impact on the improvement in Halifax. He's one of, if not the, youngest in the draft. Will definitely be back in the Q next year, but we're happy with his development so far.

Zaitsev: Two professional KHL years of experience and captained the Russian WJC team by the age of 19. Not too much is known aside from him be a pure strong defensive d-man. It's difficult for any young player to get consistent minutes in the KHL, so him to create and maintain a role is a testament to him. No knowledge as to whether he'll come over to NA, but definitely seems like he can play the pro game. Can't be dissapointed at him, so thumbs up.

Hellickson: Overager, 20 year old freshman defenseman at Notre Dame. Defensive at heart, but is a good mobile puck moving defenseman. Seems like he'll get his points from his puck movement rather than creating the actual offense. Andy Greene-type through and through. Solid freshman year with 12 points in 38 games. Doesn't sound great, but offense isn't his main game. I could potentially see him sign in a year or two depending on his development.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Red Wings

Some of the worst drafting I have ever seen. Zablocki and Lindstrom are some of the worst picks I have ever seen. Lindstrom was a projected 3/4th round pick...

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Spelt Vilardi wrong bud
Refer to my other thread we were debating in. As a Rangers fan, Chytil is clearly ahead of Andersson
Also clearly ahead of, Necas, Glass, Valimaki, Liljegren, Frost

How could you say that Chytil is "clearly ahead" of Necas? Did you watch the WJC where Necas was clearly the superior talent in that setting? Where has Chytil excelled that Necas hasn't?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets...

#23 Vesalainen - One of the best 18-year old seasons in Liiga history. Continuing his good play in the playoffs with 2 goals in the first three games. Big, fast and talented with an outstanding shot - should fit perfectly into the Jets' organization.

#43 Samberg - Started a bit slowly on a deep MSU / NCAA roster, but had an outstanding WJC and has really come on late in the season. Going to the Frozen Four. Big, athletic and smart LHD. Very good addition to the Jets prospect pool.

#74 Kovacevic - Big and smooth D, but nothing outstanding this season. Will need some seasoning before it's clear what his potential is.

#105 Virtanen - Disappointing and injury-plagued season in the USHL.

#136 Gawanke - Meh season in the Q.

#167 Holm - Big Swedish G. Have no idea how he's been. Goalies are voodoo, anyway.

#198 McKenzie - Sparkplug forward with 47 goals in the WHL. Probably an AHLer.

#211 Evingson - Meh.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Some of the worst drafting I have ever seen. Zablocki and Lindstrom are some of the worst picks I have ever seen. Lindstrom was a projected 3/4th round pick...
Who gives a sh** about "projected", if you like the player make sure to get him. He has had a quite good season so nothing wrong with the pick. If you think they are some of the worst picks you've ever seen you must be extremely young or started paying attention to drafts last year. There are top 10 picks that look like busts the very minute they're drafted. A 2nd rounder that is progressing well is not bad.

Reactions: Habs76

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
How could you say that Chytil is "clearly ahead" of Necas? Did you watch the WJC where Necas was clearly the superior talent in that setting? Where has Chytil excelled that Necas hasn't?
Chytil was JUST coming off a bad injury right before WJC and was clearly injured quite a few more times during the WJC. Necas got to play top line and PP with Zadina, Chytil didn’t
“Where has Chytil excelled that Necas hasn’t” the AHL
People put way too much stock into the WJC, I’ve watched Necas this year and last year, had him in my top 10 last year actually. Last year he was clearly a superior prospect but watching them both this season Chytil is a clear step ahead

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Has the overall improvement of this class in its draft year been abnormal? It wasn't really viewed as a strong group, but there are some potential star level players starting to blossom.
Feels that way, doesn't it? Hischier is already proving himself in the NHL and Patrick has come around too. Then you've got Pettersson setting a new record in the SHL, Tolvanen in the KHL Heiskanen and Vesalainen are doing extremely well in Liiga, the latter scoring the 3rd most points for U19 in the league. Then you've got 2nd rounder Hague scoring 35 goals, which is the most goals by a dman in like 20 years. Plus, plus, plus. This draft is starting to look like one of the deepest ones in years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad