How have your 2017 picks progressed

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Title is pretty straightforward. Are you happy with whoever you picked and have they progressed or not? Really happy with the Rangers picks which at the time seemed laughable

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Poehling went from 7 goals and 13 pts in 35 games to 14 goals and 31 pts in 35 games.
Hes also the top center of the best NCAA team.

Yea, Im happy with his progression.

Guys like Fleury and Primeau made huge progression.
Brooks and Tyszka are good too.
Ikonen had a bad year overall, but was much better in the 2nd half of the season

Reactions: Fixxer

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Swimmingly. Both Jokiharju and Mitchell have made huge strides in their game. Soderlund has a lot of fans in Sweden and Barratt finally earned the trust of his coach and I'm looking for big things from him in the tournament this weekend

Reactions: Castle8130

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Decent for the Oilers. Yamamoto obviously made the team out of camp and got nine games. Slumped hard coming back to juniors but have picked up the pace since then and produced as expected, so overall pretty good. Skinners numbers coming back to juniors were bad but has been good since a trade to Swift Current. Have to think he goes back to the dub next year as an overager. Samorukov has taken another step forward but is still a longshot IMO. Safin took the step over to CHL and is hoovering around PPG, which is about what you'd expect. Still got a lot of work to do before he becomes an NHLer.

The most positive development from the 2017 draft for the Oilers have certainly been Kirill Maksimov. Recently earned himself an ELC after a great season in Niagara where he went from having had 38 points in 66 games to 80 points in 62 games. Scores a ton of goals and looks like the most promising player from the 2017 draft for the Oilers outside of Yamamoto. Hopefully he can take another step next year.

Skyler Brind'amour is a bust and wasted pick. Not even producing well in BCHL. Phil Kemp I don't know a whole lot about but he looked to be close to making the american WJC team which was a surprise to me. Having a decent year in college it seems. Real longshot but could maybe be a steady bottom-pairing guy in the future.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Canucks had a potential franchise changing draft imo

1 - Elias Pettersson - Broke basically every swedish record, had a good WJC, Not much else needs to be said.
2 - Kole Lind - Had a remarkable year, putting up fantastic numbers, and after he got snubbed from canada due 2 mono, he went on a tear.
3 - Jonah Gadjovich - Other than injuries, had a great year statistically, made WJC out of camp in a surprise and played really well.
4 - Michael DiPietro - Had a pretty decent year, up and down a bit. Michael DiPietro hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com
5-6-7-8 - Jack Rathbone / Kristoffer Gunnarsson / Petrus Palmu / Matt Brassard - Not sure about these 4.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Chytil-Very good. He's top 5-10 in a re-draft.
Andersson-He's been okay. I think he was over-drafted, but he'll be a helpful NHL player.
Crawley-He's been okay. Might be a bottom pairing D in the NHL, might not be one.
Sjalin-He had an up and down season. Started out well, but then got injured, and when he returned he didn't play much.
Lakatos-Bad season, probably won't make the NHL, but he could still turn it around, and be an NHL'er. He has bottom 6 potential, but needs to be better next season.
Barron-Very good. He's been good for one of the best teams in college hockey as a freshman.
Virta-Pretty good. An improvement off his last season. Could compete for a roster spot on the NHL team next season.

Reactions: cheesehead9099

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Gabriel Vilardi: 58 points in 32 games for the Frontenacs. It's really hard to not be giddy about him. Don't think you'll find one Kings fan who is not excited about him. We think its very likely that he'll be in the NHL next year.

Jared Anderson-Dolan: 91 points in 70 games this year with 40 goals. I absolutely love this kid. Speed, skill, attitude, intangibles and he's still really young and only missed this years draft by a couple of days. I'm not sure if he's a product of Yamamoto, from what I've heard he's not, but I am very excited about him.

Matthew Villalta: Started 49 games for the Soo Greyhounds, 2.58 GAA and a .908 save% with 40 wins this year which is 9 more than the next goalie in the OHL. Still years a way from being in the conversation, but now we have a solid crop of young goaltenders in the system after having it depleted the past couple years.

Michael Anderson: 22 points in 35 games for Minnesota-Duluth which is pretty impressive as a freshman. From what we've heard many within the organization really like him and one our local bloggers rated him our 9th best prospect. Could be a couple years before he joins the AHL though as the blue line will be loaded soon. He made the USA WJC team this year and probably will be involved again next year.

Markus Phillips: Saw a small drop off in points this year with only 39 this year. Haven't heard much about him this year, not sure he's highly rated.

Cole Hults: Another player we haven't heard much about, but he had 20 points in 37 games for Penn State this season. I believe he just missed the cut for the USA WJC so he's on the radar.

Drake Rymsha: The guy with the coolest hockey name in the draft recorded 73 points this year for the Sarnia Sting. He's not going to get much spotlight with Jordan Kyrou getting 109 points, but he has done well and apparently a good faceoff man. Curious to see how he does when Kyrou leaves.

Overall this was probably one of our best drafts in a while. Very happy with our top 2 picks and I'm pretty confident in our development staff to do wonders with our later round picks.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Chytil-Very good. He's top 5-10 in a re-draft.
Andersson-He's been okay. I think he was over-drafted, but he'll be a helpful NHL player.
Crawley-He's been okay. Might be a bottom pairing D in the NHL, might not be one.
Sjalin-He had an up and down season. Started out well, but then got injured, and when he returned he didn't play much.
Lakatos-Bad season, probably won't make the NHL, but he could still turn it around, and be an NHL'er. He has bottom 6 potential, but needs to be better next season.
Barron-Very good. He's been good for one of the best teams in college hockey as a freshman.
Virta-Pretty good. An improvement off his last season. Could compete for a roster spot on the NHL team next season.
This is pretty much how I feel, the only thing I want to note is that while I think Andersson was probably taken early, I think he's done nothing but justify his draft position this year

Reactions: haveandare

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is pretty much how I feel, the only thing I want to note is that while I think Andersson was probably taken early, I think he's done nothing but justify his draft position this year

Would Andersson be top 10 in a re-draft? I don't think so. He's done well for a first round pick, but if we were to compare his play to that of other first round picks, I think he's more in the 15-25 range. I don't think he's going to be a bust and he has been reasonably productive, I just don't think he has justified the draft position.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Buffalo:

8OA - Casey Mittelstadt: interesting progression on a middling Gopher team, pleased with his performance at the U-20's and how he came on after returning to Minnesota afterward, even with coming back with strep. His d-zone game and coverage improved over the course of the season and he was more productive down the stretch, even if he was frequently the focus of team's efforts to limit Gopher scoring.

37OA - Marcus Davidsson: very solid development season playing with his brother Johan and The Flow in a depth role for Djurgarden. Very happy with his presence and performance on a deep, talented Team Sweden at the U-20's too.

54OA - Ukka-Pekka Luukkonen: made the supposed powerhouse Finn U-20 team as the starting goalie (yay!) and then did not perform well on the big stage at all (booo!). Not a smooth year, still room to improve and hopefully he can have a solid summer and get back on track.

89OA - Oskari Laaksonen: I like his progression from Ilves junior team up to the big club for the last half of the season. The Ilves roster lists him at 154 lbs and 6'3", so it'll be interesting to see him fill out and if he can maintain his fluid skating as the strength and weight add on.

99OA - Jacob Bryson: I really like this kid. Hockey East 1st All-star team recognition as the all-around #1 on the Friars blueline. He was an overager and looks like a solid pick. The only concern is the one thing he can't really do anything about (he's only 5'9"), but he has such a well-rounded set of tools that I hope he can make it one day.

192OA - Linus Weissbach: another over-ager, he was one of the top freshmen scorers in the NCAA. I thought he looked very good on Frederic's wing with the Badgers. It'll be interesting to see what he does without the big pivot, but his creativity and overall offensive game was top-notch. Hoping he'll continue to take strides, since the Sabres could use help both now and in the future relative to scoring line wingers. I would have liked to see him finish like he started, since he came out hot and faded a bit down the stretch.

I'm not sure what to think about this past draft. The Sabres had a scouting revamp over the summer and fall, with only 6 guys remaining from the group that built this list under Murray and his staff. Hopeful for a few of them, but the overagers are tiny, Luukkonen fumbled at the U-20's, Laaksonen is relatively unknown, and Mittelstadt didn't set the world on fire single-handedly at UM. I suppose I'd consider it an average draft with the caveat that they are still developing.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Would Andersson be top 10 in a re-draft? I don't think so. He's done well for a first round pick, but if we were to compare his play to that of other first round picks, I think he's more in the 15-25 range. I don't think he's going to be a bust and he has been reasonably productive, I just don't think he has justified the draft position.

Hardly IMO, he was a reach on draft day and he still is to this day. Him and rasmussen have to be falling.

Clear cut, id have Necas ahead of them for sure and a few others that had great years.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Robert Thomas has been one of the best in the OHL. The trade to Hamilton seemed to have slowed him down for a stretch.

Klim Kostin has been ok, not spectacular but decent for an 18yr old in the AHL

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Hardly IMO, he was a reach on draft day and he still is to this day. Him and rasmussen have to be falling.

Clear cut, id have Necas ahead of them for sure and a few others that had great years.

I agree Andersson was drafted a tad too early. Still goes 9-12 in a redraft though.

Necas and Andersson have had comparable post-draft seasons. Both dominated WJC and played well in their home league. Andersson has been as expected in the AHL. They should both be NHL ready next year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I agree Andersson was drafted a tad too early. Still goes 9-12 in a redraft though.

Necas and Andersson have had comparable post-draft seasons. Both dominated WJC and played well in their home league. Andersson has been as expected in the AHL. They should both be NHL ready next year.

Necas is just a lot more gifted offensively. I think Necas was the best player of the u20.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
50th overall: Maxime Comtois
It's early, but he's looking like a great pick so far. He's been playing with Abramov, but he's been a great player in his own right without mooching off his teammates. I forgot what the actual numbers were but he's got like 56 points in his last 25 games.
60th overall: Antoine Morand
Not sure about him. He's got an intriguing offensive skillset but as far as production goes, he pretty much matched last year's totals. He did lead AB in points, and from what I've heard, he's been their best forward.
91st overall: Jack Badini
He's got 10 goals and 7 assists so far in his freshman year with Harvard, although he was an overager when we drafted him. Solid numbers as far as I'm concerned, but next year is likely going to be where he either makes his statement or falls down our prospect rankings.
122nd overall: Kyle Olson
I loved this pick at the time of the draft. Solid skater, hard-working, and fairly well-rounded. Nice Cogliano comparable. But his production this year took a hit and he's been injured for most of the year. Only 4 goals in 36 games. We'll see how he does next year but his regression has been disappointing.
153rd overall: Olle Eriksson Ek
Possibly the sleeper pick of our draft class. He's continued his strong play at the SuperElit level and made a solid chunk of starts in the Allsvenskan and performed well.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He was a bit of a reach but 15-25? He’s impressed everywhere this season, from being the best player for Sweden at Hlinka, to starting off slow in the SHL but lighting it up at the end, great WJC, and is doing well in the AHL. I think the travel excuse was legit
2017 picks who are above him in no order
Chytil
EP
Makar
Tolvanen
Nico
Nolan
Glass
Mittelstadt
Makar
Heiskanen
Vilardi
Thomas
That puts him at 13, Necas was impressive at WJC but as was Andersson, as much as I like Necas and had him in my top 10 last year, he hasn’t done anything else to prove he’s better than Lias
I’d love to hear an argument for who you have above him
Sure he was a reach, but I’m very happy with the pick. NYR needs a leader. Lias also has in my opinion a top 3 defensive game from this draft

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
As a Wings fan, I hated our 2017 draft, and outside of Rasmussem, it has been an unmitigated disaster. For example, Lane Zablocki had 30 goals last year, including 19 in 29.

He has one goal in 25ish games now. Every single player but rasmussen has underperformed, and they werent good picks to begin with.

Ras is the one bright spot though. I HATED the pick when it was made,but the more I watch him, the more I think he is going to be a very good NHLer. His overall game is vastly underestimated

Last edited:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Liljegren is pretty...pretty....pretty good.

Rasanen slower. After that, who knows.

This thread is expected, very little criticism at this point. Fans generally aren't the best place for prospect info.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He was a bit of a reach but 15-25? He’s impressed everywhere this season, from being the best player for Sweden at Hlinka, to starting off slow in the SHL but lighting it up at the end, great WJC, and is doing well in the AHL. I think the travel excuse was legit
Chytil
EP
Makar
Tolvanen
Nico
Nolan
Glass
Mittelstadt
Makar
Heiskanen
Vilardi
Thomas
That puts him at 13, Necas was impressive at WJC but as was Andersson, as much as I like Necas and had him in my top 10 last year, he hasn’t done anything else to prove he’s better than Lias
Sure he was a reach, but I’m very happy with the pick. NYR needs a leader. Lias also has in my opinion a top 3 defensive game from this draft
Huh? He hasn't played at the last 2 Hlinka's due to age.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Chytil
EP
Makar
Tolvanen
Nico
Nolan
Glass
Mittelstadt
Makar
Heiskanen
Vilardi
Thomas

In no particular order: Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen, Makar, Pettersson, Glass, Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Necas, Brannstrom, Valimaki, Liljegren, Thomas, Chytil, Frost, Tolvanen. So thats 16 ahead of him, would put him 17th. You had him 13, not that much of a difference. I think he was over-drafted, but will be a quality NHL'er.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad