How have your 2017 picks progressed

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Drake Rymsha: The guy with the coolest hockey name in the draft recorded 73 points this year for the Sarnia Sting. He's not going to get much spotlight with Jordan Kyrou getting 109 points, but he has done well and apparently a good faceoff man. Curious to see how he does when Kyrou leaves.
Rymsha was actually at his best when Kyrou was at the WJC.

Played 1st line minutes.

Reactions: kingsboy11

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
CBJ-
2nd round- Alexandre Texier- He qualified for this draft all of a week and previously played professional hockey in France.. He scored 22 points in 53 games for Kalpa in Liiga play after joining them about 2 weeks into the season following a shoulder injury. He's got a nice shot. He's got promise, but he will require time for him to develop, which is fair.
3rd round- Daniil Tarasov- Boom or bust goalie prospect from Russia that missed all of his draft year. He's supposedly had a good year in Russia junior's league, much like other goalies. Goalie prospects are already too hard to read. Add on that he's playing in Russian juniors- Not going to hazard a guess as to his development
4- Emil Bemstrom- 15 points in 33 games in Allsvenskan league play as an 18 year old.. Not a bad year, was hoping he could play in World Juniors, but didn't make Sweden's team. Supposedly, he'll join Djugarden's next season in the SHL.
5- Kale Howarth- He's a 20 year old playing in the BCHL as a forward. Had 60 points in 45 games. He'll be playing in the NCAA next year. No opinion
6- Jonathan Davidsson- Overager forward in Sweden, brother of Marcus Davidsson (2nd round pick of Buffalo- 31 points in 52 games in the SHL, 2 goals in 2 playoff games as well for Djugarden's. He just turned 21 a couple weeks ago. Not bad production. I'm curious to see if the Jacket's sign him to a ELC. But, I wouldn't be surprised if he's allowed to play another year in the SHL.
6- Carson Meyer- Overager prospect from Columbus Blue Jackets AAA club. Had a good freshman year for Miami of Ohio, then had a awful sophomore year. Long shot.
7-Robbie Stucker- Literally haven't heard much about him. He'll enroll at Minnesota this year though, I believe.

The Columbus Blue Jackets are certainly not afraid to go against the grain when drafting prospects. We actually only had 1 prospect that was playing in the CHL this year. Alot of our picks have been from Europe, overage players, or long term NCAA players. I've learned to be patient in waiting for prospects.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Erik Brannstrom: had a respectable season. Looked pretty good in the WJC but I believe he can do better.

Brannstrom finished 9th all-time in SHL points for U19 defensemen in one season. That translates to the 5th best season in the SHL for U19 defensemen in the last 24 years. Which puts him in the company of Victor Hedman, Rasmus Dahlin, Adam Larsson and Mattias Ohlund.

Hedman was drafted 1st overall, Dahlin will be drafted 1st overall, Larsson was drafted 4th overall and Ohlund was drafted 13th overall. So Brannstrom being in that company is really, really promising.

9th all-time in pts/game for defensemen who played over 30 games too.

I think he had an amazing season so just curious what more you think he could've done? Was it more overall game-wise or? He seemed to become a go-to-defensemen for his team so that is promising as well.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Dallas Stars:

Miro Heiskanen - Nothing short of excellent. Has exceeded expectations offensively in my opinion and I fully expect him to be in the NHL next year. Could be a legit top 4 dman already next year at 19 years old. Hopefully everything goes okay.

Jason Robertson - Having a great season in the OHL. Hope is for him to possibly be at this level next year too, but definitely should be in the AHL at the very least. Very excited for him to come here and really happy we got him in the 2nd round considering he probably should've gone in the first.

Jake Oettinger - Had a tough start to the season but has turned it around and is playing some excellent hockey lately. Carrying his team to some wins in the playoffs

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Brannstrom finished 9th all-time in SHL points for U19 defensemen in one season. That translates to the 5th best season in the SHL for U19 defensemen in the last 24 years. Which puts him in the company of Victor Hedman, Rasmus Dahlin, Adam Larsson and Mattias Ohlund.

Hedman was drafted 1st overall, Dahlin will be drafted 1st overall, Larsson was drafted 4th overall and Ohlund was drafted 13th overall. So Brannstrom being in that company is really, really promising.

9th all-time in pts/game for defensemen who played over 30 games too.

I think he had an amazing season so just curious what more you think he could've done? Was it more overall game-wise or? He seemed to become a go-to-defensemen for his team so that is promising as well.
I guess I was just hoping to see more out of the WJC, that's all.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I guess I was just hoping to see more out of the WJC, that's all.

Yeah Sweden's defense was pretty underwhelming production-wise, but Brannstrom is only 18, so he should be able to be a PPG player come the WJC's his second go-around and he will be the leader with Dahlin not there. I don't know, I don't put too much stock into the WJC - tiny sample size, and players are just thrown into a system. His SHL season is one of the best in the last 24 years and that's what I'm keying on.

Sweden somehow scored 20 goals and got little production on defense. Dahlin had 6pts, Brannstrom had 4pts, Liljgren had 2pts. Seems odd.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah Sweden's defense was pretty underwhelming production-wise, but Brannstrom is only 18, so he should be able to be a PPG player come the WJC's his second go-around and he will be the leader with Dahlin not there. I don't know, I don't put too much stock into the WJC - tiny sample size, and players are just thrown into a system. His SHL season is one of the best in the last 24 years and that's what I'm keying on.

Sweden somehow scored 20 goals and got little production on defense. Dahlin had 6pts, Brannstrom had 4pts, Liljgren had 2pts. Seems odd.
True. I don't know I just got very hyped on Brannstrom after seeing him at Vegas' development camp. The kid was like that type of player you just KNOW will be in the NHL. At a camp that had Glass, Suzuki, Hague, and Tuch, he looked like he was in a class of his own. He was controlling play in both zones, his awareness was off the charts and he was aggressive at taking the puck and throwing them on net. It was insane to watch how impressive he was so I was just expecting a little more dominance. But you're right. He's only 18.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
True. I don't know I just got very hyped on Brannstrom after seeing him at Vegas' development camp. The kid was like that type of player you just KNOW will be in the NHL. At a camp that had Glass, Suzuki, Hague, and Tuch, he looked like he was in a class of his own. He was controlling play in both zones, his awareness was off the charts and he was aggressive at taking the puck and throwing them on net. It was insane to watch how impressive he was so I was just expecting a little more dominance. But you're right. He's only 18.

He's good, he's really good. I wouldn't let the WJC damper your spirits on him. Brannstrom's SHL team finished 8th out of 14th in the SHL and he had a great season. His coach trusted him and from what I can understand, he played on HV71's top pairing with Lawrence Pilut for a good part of the season.

I think he's going to take VGK camp by storm again, and maybe even make it hard to send him to the AHL because of it.

Reactions: HanSolo

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Robert Thomas has done nothing but exceeded expectations. Kostin is doing ok in the AHL. Kind of tough due to us not having our own team. He's getting 4th line minutes. Torpedochenko is having a good year

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Leafs-
17th overall-T. Liljegren (RD)- Big bounce back year. Hasn't regained the top 3 form from his 16 year old season, but is making it clear that a lot of the draft year concerns were mono-related and got overstated when scouts soured on him. Still very raw but has top pair upside, and fairly easily projects to be a top 4 dman, imo like a hybrid of Gardiner and Daley.

59th overall- E. Rasanen (RD)- moster prject with monster potential. Huge, physical, good puck skills and good mind for the game both with the puck and without. Needs to fix both 1st step and lateral mobility to make it at the next level, if he does look out. Tale of two seasons offensively, rumours of homesickness effecting his play. Look for him to play a big role for the Finns next WJC

110th overall-I. Scott (G)- another big toolsy pick, consistency has been Scott's issue. 50 GP this season, 16 with sv % .920 or higher, 21 with .880 or lower.

124th overal V. Kara (W)- stuck in the VHL full time and produced decently, got some junk minutes on a KHL call up. Exciting mainly because of his background (very small town making him a very raw natural talent) and his year to year progression. Still years away, pick made possible by the lack of transfer agreement

141st overall- F. Gordeev (LD)- another toolsy project, 6'6 and a beautiful skater with great offensive skillset, doubled his modest production from last season on a bad team. Still a long way to go in learning the defensive side of the game but has huge upside, was drawing rave reviews in the OHL community post tdd

172nd overall- R.McGregor (C)- not much to look at on the EP profile, but the high speed, high motor c has a lot going for him. First full year at C and finished 29th in draws taken despite missing 18 games to injury (51% on the draw). His 32 points in 50 games looks rather pedestrian until you realize that only 2 were on the PP and that his 5v5 scoring was comparable to players like Givani Smith and Ryan Mcleod, not far off the likes of Ang/Hayton/Jones. I'm expecting him make some noise next year with an increased role and some more weight on a 6'1 173lb (drafted at 159) frame.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
As a Wings fan, I hated our 2017 draft, and outside of Rasmussem, it has been an unmitigated disaster. For example, Lane Zablocki had 30 goals last year, including 19 in 29.

He has one goal in 25ish games now. Every single player but rasmussen has underperformed, and they werent good picks to begin with.

Ras is the one bright spot though. I HATED the pick when it was made,but the more I watch him, the more I think he is going to be a very good NHLer. His overall game is vastly underestimated
Lindstrom, Kotkansalo and Setkov aren't doing bad. John Adams okay. Brady Gilmour's stats aren't impressive but he seems to be talked about very positively as an important piece of his team so there could be more to him than the numbers indicate.

Disaster is exaggerating, a couple of picks look pretty bad though. Early days.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Dallas Stars:
Jason Robertson - Having a great season in the OHL. Hope is for him to possibly be at this level next year too, but definitely should be in the AHL at the very least. Very excited for him to come here and really happy we got him in the 2nd round considering he probably should've gone in the first.
Its Dallas or OHL for him.

I seriously think the Kings wanted him but went with Jaret Anderson-Dolan instead when Dallas picked him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
:wild

Ehhh, we didn't have our 1st and 2nd picks, so bearing that in mind;

Lodnia 3rd round...modest improvement over previous year. Has already signed an ELC with the Wild, but is a ways away. Remains to be seen if he is an NHL'er.

Mason Shaw 4th...injured and out for most of the season.

Misely 4th... ???

Golden 5th...???

Svetlakov 6th...plugging away in the KHL, showing modest improvement. Possible NHL'er. Hard to complain about this one.

Swaney 7th...decent year at Duluth. Again, hard to complain about this one.

Overall, not a lot to get excited about.

Last edited:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I think the Kings had a killer draft; I liked all the picks after the draft and still do.

To mention a few.

Jaret Anderson-Dolan; Not a typical Kings pick. Average size but skilled and one of the fastest players in juniors. Would have been a 1st rounder this year if he was born 3 days later. Scored 79 goals in his last two seasons. Way too young/fragile right now, needs another year in the OHL and AHL after that.
Michael Anderson; I think he will surprise a lot of people. Picked up in the 4th round and has had a very good year as freshman ('99 born) and is still playing.
Drake Rymsha; Screams 3rd line center for years to come. Face off monster and gritty. Awesome 5th round pick.

Still, all could turn out into next to nothing (captain obvious).

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Lindstrom, Kotkansalo and Setkov aren't doing bad. John Adams okay. Brady Gilmour's stats aren't impressive but he seems to be talked about very positively as an important piece of his team so there could be more to him than the numbers indicate.

Disaster is exaggerating, a couple of picks look pretty bad though. Early days.

It was a bad draft plain and simple. The majority of Wings fans knew it at the time despite some people defending our shitty scouts.

Just further proof that Holland, Wright and a bunch of the Wings scouts need to be shown the door. If I can read a couple of magazines and make better picks then there is a problem.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It was a bad draft plain and simple. The majority of Wings fans knew it at the time despite some people defending our ****ty scouts.

Just further proof that Holland, Wright and a bunch of the Wings scouts need to be shown the door. If I can read a couple of magazines and make better picks then there is a problem.
Time will tell. Just saying it does not look like a complete disaster.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Frost finishes the regular season 2nd in ohl scoring and you're still not sold on him completely? 3 points less than the league leader I remind you.

:dunno:

He was a 27th overall selection, not even a top 20 selection.

He had a great year, but he did play on a great team with a great system. Obviously he played a big part in that but opponents couldnt afford to key in on him as the sole offensive threat. If he can pull off another season like this next year then Ill be sold. It just seems fishy to me that he was sold as a guy with limited offensive upside and then he puts up a year like this. Hopefully the Flyers scouts saw something others didn't and this wasn't a mirage. Im excited for him, but would still rather have Tolvanen.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Some gm's are kicking themselves more on Tolvanen of course, two gm's had multiple first rounders, some gm's didn't have any first round selections. All can play the would have, could have, should have game. Then you have gm's who are also content with their first round selections.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I'm happy with the Canucks picks. EP has been great, which eases the pain of dropping 3 spots in the lottery. Lind looks like he could have been taken 10 spots ahead of where he was, and Gadjovich made team Canada and looked pretty good. DiPietro is a good CHL goalie, it will be interesting to see how his game translates into the ECHL or AHL next year. We had an awful season in 16/17, and it looks like we will get 3 NHL players as a result. I'm good with that.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I'm happy with the Canucks picks. EP has been great, which eases the pain of dropping 3 spots in the lottery. Lind looks like he could have been taken 10 spots ahead of where he was, and Gadjovich made team Canada and looked pretty good. DiPietro is a good CHL goalie, it will be interesting to see how his game translates into the ECHL or AHL next year. We had an awful season in 16/17, and it looks like we will get 3 NHL players as a result. I'm good with that.
idk about you, but dropping to 5th may be the best thing that could have happend to the Canucks at the 2017 NHL draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad