Speculation: How does Tampa get under the Cap this offseason?

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
We've had discussions here with some Rangers fans and they go nowhere.
Ok then let me throw out a starting point:

Serg & Johnson

for

Kravstov
Miller
2021 top 10 protected first

Explanation: TBL get Miller who can probably slot in on 3rd pairing LD right now with sheltered minutes. ELC for 3 years. Kravstov obviously has massive potential and with the talent & leadership on tampa, he could turn into something very special there, again on an ELC. Tampa also gets to dump Johnson who currently has negative value at his salary & term.

Rangers its simple, they turn some of their prospect depth strength and address some weakness. Serg slots in top pairing LD, Johnson you could give a run at a top 6 center role, or more likely slot him in at 3rd line center and pray he works out for the rest of his contract.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Stamkos to the Avs. Is Stamkos going to waive? Not sure. Avs are another no state tax and contender so he might. Are the Avs interested? What futures would they offer? Tampa does need RD and would they move Timmins and their 1st in the package? What are the Lightning looking for? Can't ask for that much due to their cap issues and how this one trade fixes all their cap problems?

Lots of questions but this might work. What you guys think? What would be a fair trade value set on Stamkos? $0.75/dollar or $0.66/dollar? What does this do for the Avs cap?

- Stamkos
for
- Timmins
- 2020 1st
- Jost
Avs have zero interest in Stamkos, less than zero interest in Johnson and none in Killorn. None.

They like Cirelli for sure and I’d be stunned if they haven’t talked Cernak. I’m sure Sakic has their agents numbers. If one or both want to discuss an offer sheet. Great. If not, the Avs have 29 other teams to talk to and lots of free agents to mull over with all their cap space.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We just won the Cup. At this point it doesn't matter to me what we gotta do. My only preference is that I would like to see Maroon and Bogosian come back. The former because he's a viable 4th line option who is tough as nails and the latter proved a productive partner for Victor Hedman. Both will be very cheap

-low key I do believe there's a chance Coburn retires a champion and thus saves us $1.7 million

Reactions: Zwui21

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Avs have zero interest in Stamkos, less than zero interest in Johnson and none in Killorn. None.

They like Cirelli for sure and I’d be stunned if they haven’t talked Cernak. I’m sure Sakic has their agents numbers. If one or both want to discuss an offer sheet. Great. If not, the Avs have 29 other teams to talk to and lots of free agents to mull over with all their cap space.

It will be interesting to see who Tampa moves out.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Ok then let me throw out a starting point:

Serg & Johnson

for

Kravstov
Miller
2021 top 10 protected first

Explanation: TBL get Miller who can probably slot in on 3rd pairing LD right now with sheltered minutes. ELC for 3 years. Kravstov obviously has massive potential and with the talent & leadership on tampa, he could turn into something very special there, again on an ELC. Tampa also gets to dump Johnson who currently has negative value at his salary & term.

Rangers its simple, they turn some of their prospect depth strength and address some weakness. Serg slots in top pairing LD, Johnson you could give a run at a top 6 center role, or more likely slot him in at 3rd line center and pray he works out for the rest of his contract.
I think we'd just prefer to keep Sergachev. If we trade him it's probably going to have to be closer to a hockey trade.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Friedman said on NHL radio this morning that many people believe Tampa is going to have a hard time convincing any of their clause players to waive.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
In the unlikely event that Stamkos waives, what return are TBL fans expecting for him?

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
Friedman said on NHL radio this morning that many people believe Tampa is going to have a hard time convincing any of their clause players to waive.
Not exactly groundbreaking reporting. If Johnson isn't traded or bought out by the end of the day on the 8th, I'll start getting worried.

In the unlikely event that Stamkos waives, what return are TBL fans expecting for him?
That's an impossible event at this juncture. It's not even worth considering.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
what would the lightening need in a trade for Cernak?

I don't think we'd be interested. He's the cheapest of the 3 RFAs, and he fills a big hole on the right side. Without him, we're significantly worse than anybody we could get for a similar price.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It will be interesting to see who Tampa moves out.
I agree. Probably the most fun thing to monitor this offseason after the draft.

their fans want to think it will be easy to move Johnson. That’s far and away their best case scenario. But it sure sounds like he’s not willing to waive that NTC and life rarely delivers the best case outcome. Sounds like most of their NTC guys won’t waive. They’ll need to make some painful roster decisions.

With Johnson still on their team next season, trading Killorn alone won’t bridge the gap to deals with their 3 highly desirable RFAs. I’m very hopeful your GM throws some big offer sheet money at Serg. I think Sakic will try for sure on Cernak and Cirelli and Joe has ample cap room to make Tampa feel his presence.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree. Probably the most fun thing to monitor this offseason after the draft.

their fans want to think it will be easy to move Johnson. That’s far and away their best case scenario. But it sure sounds like he’s not willing to waive that NTC and life rarely delivers the best case outcome. Sounds like most of their NTC guys won’t waive. They’ll need to make some painful roster decisions.

With Johnson still on their team next season, trading Killorn alone won’t bridge the gap to deals with their 3 highly desirable RFAs. I’m very hopeful your GM throws some big offer sheet money at Serg. I think Sakic will try for sure on Cernak and Cirelli and Joe has ample cap room to make Tampa feel his presence.

Tampa and there are others! But Tampa has the most salary to clear out

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
Oh, this one gets the ol' gut rumbling:

They're going to play hardball with an NTC or they're going to move one of the RFAs and JBB was being coy about them in his interview earlier today.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Tampa GM also mentioned he'd be looking to make trades soon to avoid being left without partners.

Hurry up bud, Draft is coming

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Idk that this really means much, though. The report is that people around the league are speculating "why would these players want to leave, Tampa is great and the just won a Cup" which most people on here have said, haha.

It'd be different if sources in Tampa thought they would have a hard time getting them to waive because they'd have actual insight, but people around the league wouldn't know anything other than using general logic.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Not shocking , i wouldnt leave ... less taxes , which is probably a main reason most guys took lesser money so that benefit is out the door unless they go to dallas/vegas + theyd leave the sun and teammates who i just won a cup with

They might have no choice but to trade Cirelli and sergachev unless they go real f***en crazy and deal vasilevsky

Might be able to keep sergachev or cirelli if they can find one of the 14 teams killorn allows tampa to trade him to but if he does the math of which teams are trying to shed $ he might end up screwing brisebois over

Tough times ahead

Reactions: meatwad4343

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
No buyouts? Players reluctant to waive? Who exactly is leaving?

Killorn only has 15 teams on his trade list. That will really drag on the return if he gets tactical with his choices. That might even force the return down to "waivers" territory.....or worse.

Then what? That still only leaves 9M for Sergachev, Cirelli, Cernak, etc. if they take zero contracts back for Killorn

Honestly, the easiest thing might to be to just trade Sergachev for someone cost controlled like when they acquired Sergachev. What team both has the money, the cap room, the assets, and the desire to add Sergachev?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
No buyouts? Players reluctant to waive? Who exactly is leaving?

Killorn only has 15 teams on his trade list. That will really drag on the return if he gets tactical with his choices. That might even force the return down to "waivers" territory.....or worse.

Then what? That still only leaves 9M for Sergachev, Cirelli, Cernak, etc. if they take zero contracts back for Killorn

Honestly, the easiest thing might to be to just trade Sergachev for someone cost controlled like when they acquired Sergachev. What team both has the money, the cap room, the assets, and the desire to add Sergachev?
You are basically describing worst case scenario for them.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
You are basically describing worst case scenario for them.
I'm interested to see. They've been extraordinarily lucky before, so who knows, maybe their luck holds up.

I proposed one interesting idea in an Edmonton thread. With Klefbom on LTIR for surgery, he might be an interesting target for Tampa. It would allow Edmonton to acquire someone without increasing their salary and remain competitive for a playoff spot, while Tampa could get an NHL ready player who could come back for the playoffs instead of having to accept a cap dump or a shitty package.

I'm sure there is other guys like that out there too. Is Josh Anderson going to be out most of the season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad