How are they doing now? (Former Sabres Players) Top 100 pics/stories

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Game 7 of the 1987 Patrick Division Semifinal took Pat LaFontaine's breath away. Literally.

"In between periods, I don't know if a lot of people know this, but for some reason I asked one of the trainers, 'Is there a chance we can get some oxygen?' It was in between the third and fourth overtime," said LaFontaine, who scored the game-winner at 8:47 of quadruple overtime to give the New York Islanders a 3-2 victory against the Washington Capitals at Capital Centre on April 18, 1987. "He went and asked, and of course they brought some oxygen. We were laying down with our feet up in the air trying to do everything. The technology today is totally different.

Rest Of The Article -
https://www.nhl.com/news/greatest-nhl-moments-easter-epic-islanders/c-292200336

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Derek Roy is a Hockey Canada lifer. He's proudly represented his country at almost every level imaginable.
Except the highest one. He hasn't played in the Olympics, and he figured the dream was dead after he fell short in 2010.

"The year that it was in Vancouver I was one of the last cuts, and that was pretty devastating," the former Sabres center said Friday. "You put so much effort into trying to make the team, and you think, 'Maybe this will be my last chance,' because you're in your prime. The tournament was in Canada, so that would have been even cooler to represent your country in your country. But in life it turns out that there's maybe another opportunity."

Indeed, the 34-year-old's ultimate goal is in his grasp again. Hockey Canada has named Roy to its national team for the Karjala Cup, an international tournament next month that is doubling as a preliminary for the 2018 Olympics.

"Hopefully this works out and I get my crack at playing in the Olympics for Canada," Roy said by phone from Sweden, where he plays for Linköping of the Swedish Hockey League.

With the NHL prohibiting its players from participating in the Olympics, the competing countries are looking elsewhere for top talent. Derek Roy, who played in the Sabres' organization from 2003 to 2012, fits. He is tied for sixth in scoring in the SHL, recording nine assists and 12 points in the opening 13 games. Roy is one of the most accomplished players on Canada's roster for Karjala, joining fellow ex-NHLers Wojtek Wolski, Mason Raymond, Rene Bourque and Ben Scrivens.

"It means a great deal," Roy said. "Climbing the ranks of world juniors and world championships and under-17s, under-18s and all that stuff with Canada, the ultimate challenge or goal would be to win a gold medal for the Olympic team. I get a chance to do that maybe, and I've just got to make sure I work hard and prove myself."

"Hopefully, we can go to South Korea and win a gold medal."

Rest Of The Article - Includes Updates On Other Former Sabres Playing Overseas -
http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/27/i...k-roys-dream-of-olympic-glory-is-alive-again/

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Derek Roy is a Hockey Canada lifer. He's proudly represented his country at almost every level imaginable.
Except the highest one. He hasn't played in the Olympics, and he figured the dream was dead after he fell short in 2010.

Indeed, the 34-year-old's ultimate goal is in his grasp again. Hockey Canada has named Roy to its national team for the Karjala Cup, an international tournament next month that is doubling as a preliminary for the 2018 Olympics.

Update - LaxSabre - Unfortunately for Derek Roy - he won' be playing for Canada in the Karjala Cup.

happy squid‏ @averagehuman21 - Nov 6 - Why is Derek Roy out? Injury?
Tomas Sandqvist‏ @TomasSande123 - He is injured.

Last edited:

skibum

Jan 23, 2011

Update - LaxSabre - Unfortunately for Derek Roy - he won' be playing for Canada in the Karjala Cup.

happy squid‏ @averagehuman21 - Nov 6 - Why is Derek Roy out? Injury?
Tomas Sandqvist‏ @TomasSande123 - He is injured.

That's too bad for D. Roy. He took a lot of grief from fans while he was here, and I don't know why. All he ever did was make plays and pile up points year after year after year.

Lumpjaw

Feb 7, 2013
Sweden
Mike Weber just signed for SHL team Frölunda. Seven week contract to start with as they've got injuries. The tank commanders keep coming to SHL. Weber, Benoit, Leino have all been here. And off course Dennis Persson tried to do good in SHL. And we got Derek Roy actually being good for Linköping this season, but he´s not a tank commander.

Reactions: jBuds

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Frölunda HC @frolunda_hc -
Mike Weber - "I have never been an offensive threat.
I'm more of a defensive and competitive back which makes it necessary for the team.

Mike Weber - ”Jag har aldrig varit ett offensivt hot.
Jag är mer av en defensiv och tävlingsinriktad back som gör det som behövs för laget”.

Frölunda HC‏ @frolunda_hc -
New: Frölunda broadens squad - defenceman Mike Weber joins the team.

Last edited:

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Mike Weber just signed for SHL team Frölunda. Seven week contract to start with as they've got injuries. The tank commanders keep coming to SHL. Weber, Benoit, Leino have all been here. And off course Dennis Persson tried to do good in SHL. And we got Derek Roy actually being good for Linköping this season, but he´s not a tank commander.

Ex-Sabre Daniel Paille also plays in the SHL and was almost murdered the other night facing Jochen Hechts former team Adler Mannheim in a CHL-game.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

LaxSabre - Finland won the Karjala Cup with a perfect 3-0 record.
Canada (without Derek Roy who had an injury) finished with a 1-2 record.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
LaxSabre - You can watch the 2017 NHL Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremonies on the NHL Network in the United States and on TSN2 in Canada - tonight - 8:00 pm ET-10:00 pm ET.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Andreychuk on Sabres - "The 12 years I spent there were exciting times for me. I grew up in Buffalo. Lots of Buffalo friends are in the house. My girls were born in Buffalo. I married a Buffalo girl. ... I grew up there."
Andreychuk on his final stop - "What happens in Tampa Bay was just magical. I get there with some young horses that were just phenomenal."
Andreychuk - "Not many highlight goals but at the same time I had lots of help around me."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad