How are they doing now? (Former Sabres Players) Top 100 pics/stories

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I thought it'd be cool to have a thread dedicated solely to former Sabres players. We can talk about anything regarding prior players in this thread. Ex: Their usage on a team, how they're playing, etc...

A few players I'm curious about are Pommers, Vanek, and Miller. I read Vanek is having a decent season in Minnesota. I believe he's playing on the third line. I'm also interested to read about Myers role on WPG. Is he playing top pairing minutes?

Hopefully we can keep this thread buzzing, and keep tabs on these guys!

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Probably a good thing to have this thread. The "Around the NHL" thread sometimes gets overwhelmed with this topic.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Jets fan here, was just perusing your board when I saw this thread.

Drew Stafford - Nothing much has changed. He's still the same player he was with you guys. Either cold or hot, he just seems hot lately. Getting points, but relying on an unsustainable PDO and sh% getting him 7 points in 10 games. At least the coach has figured a good role for him. He shouldn't play LW, so he's on the 3rd line with Lowry and Burmistrov. He's allowed to fly the zone, he's used as the offensive threat on that line. Lowry and Burmistrov offer support roles. Lowry is good at making plays off the boards, and Burmistrov is excellent at covering for D and transition. He gets some PP on the 2nd unit and even some PK. His breakouts seemed to have improved quite a lot. He was re-signed this off season at 4.35 over 2 years, and I really wish we had kept Frolik instead who is much more flexible and a better possession player.

Tyler Myers - Still trying to figure him out. He gets 2nd PP time as the point guy. Much like Staffrord he does produce points but has poor underlying/advanced stats. He has switched from being paired with Enstrom to being with Chiarot. This is a huge test for both players. Both are used to playing with stronger possession guys in Enstrom and Buff. The Jets have changed his defensive game some, he's more aggressive especially with his stick. Our system also uses his game well. He likes skating up when there's an opening in the offensive zone and taking a wrist shot. Our system is designed for that, and a forward will cover for him. He does have to share minutes with Buff and Trouba, so he doesn't have as big of a load compared to his days in Buffalo.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Jets fan here, was just perusing your board when I saw this thread.

Drew Stafford - Nothing much has changed. He's still the same player he was with you guys. Either cold or hot, he just seems hot lately. Getting points, but relying on an unsustainable PDO and sh% getting him 7 points in 10 games. At least the coach has figured a good role for him. He shouldn't play LW, so he's on the 3rd line with Lowry and Burmistrov. He's allowed to fly the zone, he's used as the offensive threat on that line. Lowry and Burmistrov offer support roles. Lowry is good at making plays off the boards, and Burmistrov is excellent at covering for D and transition. He gets some PP on the 2nd unit and even some PK. His breakouts seemed to have improved quite a lot. He was re-signed this off season at 4.35 over 2 years, and I really wish we had kept Frolik instead who is much more flexible and a better possession player.

Tyler Myers - Still trying to figure him out. He gets 2nd PP time as the point guy. Much like Staffrord he does produce points but has poor underlying/advanced stats. He has switched from being paired with Enstrom to being with Chiarot. This is a huge test for both players. Both are used to playing with stronger possession guys in Enstrom and Buff. The Jets have changed his defensive game some, he's more aggressive especially with his stick. Our system also uses his game well. He likes skating up when there's an opening in the offensive zone and taking a wrist shot. Our system is designed for that, and a forward will cover for him. He does have to share minutes with Buff and Trouba, so he doesn't have as big of a load compared to his days in Buffalo.

Awesome! Thanks for your input. I was hoping opposing fans could give us some insight on these guys.

Also, How is Armia doing? Last I heard he was sent down to the 'A'. Is he doing well down there? Thanks again.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Totally forgot about him. Not on purpose either.

Armia was slow to get used to the team last year. This year he was slow again, but the last 2-3 games supposedly he has done well. I haven't watched the games myself, but apparently he's a threat whenever he's on the ice. Too bad he's not playing with talent as good as him. Lacks intensity, but the talent is there. Makes wizard passes to linemates that can't handle them. He broke a pane of board glass last practice. He had 1 G 1 A and 5 shots last game, which was the first Moose win.

This year I'd expect Thomas Raffl to be the first callup, maybe with Armia next. Raffl is injured however. Armia needs waivers next fall, so I'd expect him to get a look at some point. He's going to need an injury or two above him for that to happen.

As you guys know, all Armia needs to do is play with a bit more passion for the game.

Lemieux signed with us in July. looked pretty good in camp, but obviously needs more seasoning. He seems to be good at this:

Even if he did impress during camp, the odds were extremely low he was going to stick around. We were already adding youth F (Copp, Petan and Ehlers who had a combined 1 NHL GP), and the Jets almost always send guys down for their second junior season, unless they're AHL eligible which Brendan is not. The only exception to this rule is Nikolaj Ehlers and it would be pretty dumb to send him down this year.

In preseason Lemieux well behaved with regards to taking penalties, but certainly threw around his body and agitated. Pretty sure he drew more penalties than he took, which is a major concern for a player like him. I think he only had two games, which is a very small sample.

I'd expect the son of Claude to start his next season on the Moose. The Jets have a glut of LW and there's no reason to rush him.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Awesome! Thanks for your input. I was hoping opposing fans could give us some insight on these guys.

Also, How is Armia doing? Last I heard he was sent down to the 'A'. Is he doing well down there? Thanks again.

Armia has no points in 7 games and was described to me as a "train wreck" by jets fans during camp

Salzig

I am laudable.
Feb 28, 2007
Bonn, Germany
Alex Sulzer is injury-prone, but still doing fine for my local club.

Jochen Hecht is doing well, he won the German league last year and was also named as the Playoffs-MVP.

Former Sabre Mark Mancari is also playing in Germany now, he seems to be a decent player in this league (11 points in 15 games so far).

Reactions: DickSmehlik

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Great idea for a thread assuming it's taken seriously at least half of the time. I have nothing to add right now but sure would enjoy a post from SABRETIP who always provides insight on what former Sabres (great and not so great) are up to.

Assume this thread will apply to both those still in their playing years and those who have moved beyond?

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Vanek has looked significantly better as far as providing timely scoring. He's had some snipes a lot of the rest of the Wild probably just couldn't pull off. He's still a liability defensively and I'm hoping he doesn't get too comfortable that 'he's back' or it'll just turn out like last season.

Something is going on with Pominville. Couldn't tell you what it is. But his first season here was good. Believe it was 29g. He has looked off since. Whiffing on pucks, missing the net, timing way off, etc. Dunno what's going on with him but it's definitely to the level of being concerning. He needs to get going. Russo has mentioned they do some line juggling and pair him with Vanek again.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
Zadorov scratched vs. SJS today.

Avs are terribad at developing D. Pray for Zads.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
At the beginning of the season, Bovada listed Lindy Ruff 6/1 odds of being the first coach fired. Currently his team is 2nd in the league with a 12-3-0 record.

Snargitz

Nov 27, 2005
Brisbane
Miro retired in 2014 and was announced as General Manager of Team Europe for the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad