How are they doing now? (Former Sabres Players) Top 100 pics/stories

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Good Old Greg O'Renko gets his Irish up in the Sochi Open vs Canada!

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/08/07...tween-canada-and-russia-at-sochi-hockey-open/

screen-shot-2017-08-07-at-3-42-08-pm.png

Video: Line brawl breaks out between Canada and Russia at Sochi Hockey Open

By Cam Tucker

Aug 7, 2017, 7:04 PM EDT

When it comes to hockey rivalries, Canada versus Russia has never been lacking ill will.

The time of year doesn't seem to matter, either.

On Monday, as Team Canada faced Team Russia at the Sochi Hockey Open, a line brawl broke out near the Canadian bench, resulting in fight majors for Canada's Justin Azevedo and Russia's Mikhail Grigorenko.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Sabres Hall of Famer and former Buffalo coach Craig Ramsay has been named head coach of the Slovakian national team, earning a two-year deal to direct the team in the 2018 Winter Olympics and as the host in the 2019 World Championships.

Who made the choice of Ramsay? Former Sabres 40-goal scorer Miroslav Satan, who is his nation's general manager after serving in a similar role for Team Europe during last year's World Cup of Hockey.

Satan: "I am glad that such an expert who has worked in the NHL as a player and for many years as a coach in various roles will come to us and help us direct hockey with some new professional matters to a new era."

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

The Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club announced today that Dale Hawerchuk will be inducted into the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame. Hawerchuk was drafted by the Jets first overall in the 1981 NHL Entry Draft before playing nine seasons for Winnipeg.

Dale Hawerchuk will be honoured at a special Hall of Fame induction ceremony prior to the Arizona Coyotes vs. Winnipeg Jets home game at Bell MTS Place on Tuesday, November 14 at 7:00 pm CT.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Marty Biron never saw a microphone he didn’t like. The one he’ll be using often will have a Sabres logo on it.
The former Buffalo goaltender has joined the Sabres’ broadcast team, he announced Tuesday.
He filled in during a few games last season, and he’ll become a regular in the booth for 2017-2018.

“I grew up in the Sabres’ organization, and Buffalo has always had a big place in my heart,” .
Biron said after making the announcement during the Sabres’ simulcast show, “The Instigators.”
“Western New York has been my home since I was 20 years old, and my family and I are thrilled to begin this opportunity with the Sabres.
“I look forward to continuing to connect with the fans who supported me throughout my playing career.”

The Sabres drafted Biron with the No. 16 overall pick in the 1995 NHL Draft.
He played three games for the Sabres during the 1995-1996 season, then became a regular from 1999 to 2007.
The 40-year-old also played for Philadelphia, the New York Islanders and the New York Rangers.
He has been working as the director of goaltending for the Academy of Hockey in HarborCenter.

It was not immediately known if Biron will be an addition to the broadcast team or a replacement.
The Sabres also have Rick Jeanneret, Rob Ray, Brian Duff, Dan Dunleavy and Brad May working the television and radio simulcasts.

Update - Marty Biron replaces Brad May.
May had been an analyst during the pregame and postgame shows, plus intermissions.
The former Sabres forward joined the broadcast team at the start of the 2013-2014 season.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@BuffaloBeauts - Former Sabre, Tom Draper, will join Ric Seiling and Craig Muni on our coaching staff! #DefendTheCrown

In Buffalo, joining returning co-head coaches Ric Seiling and Craig Muni to round out an all-NHL staff with the Beauts is former Sabre Tom Draper, who will serve as goaltending consultant. After playing college hockey at Vermont, Draper had a successful goaltending career in the pros in Europe and in North America – including stints with the Sabres, Winnipeg Jets and New York Islanders.

“I was at the Sabres game last season when they honored the Beauts for winning the Isobel Cup and had the privilege of speaking with some of the players,” said Draper. “I was thrilled to get the offer from Ric and Craig – two guys I respect a lot. I’ll break down a lot of tape and hopefully bring a unique perspective to our goalies. I’m honored to be working with these world-class athletes as we try to keep the Cup in Buffalo.”

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Future NHL players will inhabit HarborCenter this weekend. No one is looking forward to it more than a couple of former Sabres.
Jay McKee and Matthew Barnaby will be back in Buffalo as their Kitchener Rangers participate in the HarborCenter OHL Showcase.

Six Ontario Hockey League teams will start their exhibition schedule Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
The Erie Otters, Flint Firebirds, North Bay Battalion, Peterborough Petes and Windsor Spitfires will join the Rangers in Buffalo.

Barnaby is back as one of McKee's assistant coaches. They were teammates with the Sabres in the late 1990s.
McKee played defense in Buffalo from 1996 to 2006, while Barnaby was a feisty forward from 1993 to 1999.

Kitchener went 36-27-5 last year and lost in the first round of the playoffs.
Erie and Peterborough won their respective conferences, while Flint and Windsor also made the postseason.
The showcase will put them all on their way to the 2017-2018 season.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@NHLJets -
Tonight's #NHLJets Starting Lineup - Goalie - Mason - Defense - Myers - Kulikov - Forward - Tanev - Hendricks - Copp.
Edmonton in the box. #NHLJets PP.
POWERPLAY GOAL! Ehlers from Myers. 1-0 Jets! Trouba with the other apple.

#NHLJets on the PK as Kulikov heads to the box for holding. 3:47 left in the first. LaxSabre - Jets kill off the former Sabres penalty.
Myers takes 2 for slashing. #NHLJets on the PK. LaxSabre - Unfortunately this time-the Jets do not kill off a former Sabres penalty.
Oilers score on the powerplay - tie game - 1-1.
Final - #NHLJets fall "short" to the Oilers with a 4-1 loss.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

KHL @khl_eng - 6:31 AM - Sep 14, 2017 - Jhonas Enroth is trying to say "shutout" in russian.
He's got 3 of them in 10 games. (It's 'sukhar' - if you wonder.)
@JEnroth125 thanked the partners and fans for "cracker", and at the same time trying to pronounce "shutout" in Russian.

I wouldn't mind getting a Enroth Dynamo Minsk jersey - not only was he one of my favorite Sabres but the logo is a Buffalo!

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

@khl_eng - @Limpanomark - Linus Omark has scored 2 points in each of last 6 games played.
(Overall - 9 Games Played - 4 Goals - 9 Assists - 13 Total Points).

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Kitchener Rangers‏@OHLRangers -
The Kitchener Rangers have parted ways with assistant coach Matthew Barnaby.
The Rangers wish Matthew nothing but success in his future endeavours.

Matthew Barnaby‏@MattBarnaby3636 -
I want to wish my good buddy and tremendous coach @JayMcKee74 and the tremendous kids with the Rangers best of luck the rest of the season.

Josh Brown @BrownRecord - Matthew Barnaby is no longer behind the bench with the Kitchener Rangers. The team issued a two line news release (LaxSabre - see first tweet) announcing that it had parted ways with the assistant coach Tuesday night. "I don't want to get into the nitty gritty of it," said general manager Mike McKenzie. "It was philosophical differences and this is the route we chose to go."

Barnaby joined the Rangers in June of last year under head coach Jay McKee and was in charge of the team's defence, among other things. The pair are longtime friends and were teammates with the Buffalo Sabres during their time as players in the NHL. When asked about how Barnaby performed in his role as assistant with the Rangers, McKenzie said he did not want to comment. Barnaby did not want to go on the record and McKee could not be reached Tuesday night.

McKenzie said the club is in "no rush" to appoint a replacement but that McKee's job and that of assistant Andreas Karlsson are safe. The GM said there was no truth to rumblings that the team wanted to fire Barnaby in the off-season and that McKee resisted the move.

The Rangers bench has been anything but stable of late. The club has had four head coaches in the past six seasons and several different assistants. The team did not renew the contract of associate coach Jason Fortier this past off-season.

The news comes as the Rangers are enjoying a fine start to the Ontario Hockey League season, one that has them with a record of 3-1-1-0 and in first place in the western conference.

https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/sports-story/7594288-rangers-fire-assistant-coach-barnaby/

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->