How are the Oilers this bad with mcdavid?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
- Hype got into their heads early on, they had many stinkers against last years non-playoff teams, it took a while before they realized it's a) hard to win if you don't compete against any team b) their ability to bounce back is not as good as they thought

- Underachieving defense, as a Jets fan i know what it's like when it feels like your back-end just can't find that traction and you never seem to have your best possible D group out there playing well

- Talbot not having a great season, him and the defense are not mutually exclusive, when your D struggles usually your goaltending struggles too, creating a negative snowball effect

- Eberle trade backfired hard, for a team that was already weak on the wings giving up a productive player for a borderline useless one hurt

- Lack of depth guys stepping up, in the summer you would've maybe thought a guy like Slepyshev could start producing more this year, perhaps Strome turns it around etc. but for the most of the season they haven't had that, if McDavid or Draisaitl isn't getting it done they likely lose the game and that can be really frustrating

- Injuries, whether it's some of the dmen or Nuge, they've had their fair share

Those are the 6 things that come to mind.

But in saying all that, there's a solution to literally every one of them (except the injury part obviously).

- You can be damn sure the Oilers will be ready to compete from the get-go next season, and this experience as a whole will be good for them, it'll give them something to rally around every time things start to slip a bit

- Underachieving defense won't underachieve anymore, guys will look themselves in the mirror and prepare for next year accordingly, im not even a fan of the Oilers and i have a lot of confidence that d-core can and will play a lot better. Not to mention most of them are still young players, this whole process can make them better players in the long run

- Talbot gets better as the defense gets better

- They can only get better on the wings.. whether it's guys like Pulju or Yamamoto making a bigger impact, going out in FA to sign a player or 2 (pretty decent market of wingers) or making a trade, you can be damn sure Chiarelli will be active (now whether or not that's a good thing we'll see lol)

- As they get more players in the mix, that'll mean guys will have to fight to even stay in the lineup, which always helps the depth part

People overreact to this season way too hard. I mean, has it been bad? Sure. Fans of the Oilers have every right to be mad. But as far as looking into the future, this season will not be a negative thing. You throw it into the garbage can, realize what needs to improve and move on.

Issues the Oilers hockey team have are so much easier to fix than many other things you could think of. Im sure if you ask the Habs fans they would swap their problems for the Oilers problems in an instant.

Management is a different story, and if they screw it up again next summer then there's a big problem.

But anyway, the Oilers are not the first nor will they be the last team that follows up one good year with a bad one. Next season it will likely happen to someone else and not many people will see it coming again.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
McD isn't a complete hockey player, he may never be. Generational....maybe, not yet though. McD would really benefit some honest brutal criticism. Not being told how great he is every second of the day. His game and attitude does need improvement. He's leading by example right now, but not the right example. Getting a point a game doesn't make you a winner or an example to your team mates all by itself. Winning the scoring title should come after the teams success. Seems McD and the Oilers have got that backwards.

Great skater and stick handling and then some issues begin......some major and some minor issues

1. Makes passes when he should be shooting (getting better)
2. Brutal on face offs (getting worse)
3. Weak in the corners and in general
4. Doesn't like back checking half the time (getting worse)
5. Not ready to be a true leader (not even by example lately)
6. Caught a little bit Crosby early in his career snivelling issues (getting worse)
7. Leaves the D zone early when he should be battling in the slot or covering his man. (getting worse)
8. Below average shot.
9. Penalty killing sucks (getting worse)
10. Power play sucks (getting worse)
11. Way too many turnovers (getting worse)
12. Plays too many minutes
13. A little invisible in the playoffs last year (too soft)
14. When drafted he was upset he was picked by Edmonton (his face said it all)
15. Choice of Halloween costume questionable lol.

I'll end the list there, but his game has other holes as well. Should have had a very generous bridge contract. Not give him Drai the bank. What you see this this year may be close toMcD's ceiling and it's nowhere near 12.5M a year starting next year. He should be pulled off center as he lacks some center skills and the defensive desire to man that position responsibly.

The whole team is getting blown up after this year and McD shares in that. Full rebuild mode ahoy.

How can the Oilers be this bad with McD? Easy answer is he's part of the problem it seems.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
McD isn't a complete hockey player, he may never be. Generational....maybe, not yet though. McD would really benefit some honest brutal criticism. Not being told how great he is every second of the day. His game and attitude does need improvement. He's leading by example right now, but not the right example. Getting a point a game doesn't make you a winner or an example to your team mates all by itself. Winning the scoring title should come after the teams success. Seems McD and the Oilers have got that backwards.

Great skater and stick handling and then some issues begin......some major and some minor issues

6. Caught a little bit Crosby early in his career snivelling issues (getting worse)
7. Leaves the D zone early when he should be battling in the slot or covering his man. (getting worse)
8. Below average shot.

I'll end the list there, but his game has other holes as well. Should have had a very generous bridge contract. Not give him Drai the bank. What you see this this year may be close toMcD's ceiling and it's nowhere near 12.5M a year starting next year. He should be pulled off center as he lacks some center skills and the defensive desire to man that position responsibly.

The whole team is getting blown up after this year and McD shares in that. Full rebuild mode ahoy.

How can the Oilers be this bad with McD? Easy answer is he's part of the problem it seems.
McDavid is the only thing not wrong with the Oilers. He is the reigning MVP and got 100 points last season.
Are we really going to play this "Overall" crap with a generational talent? The guy would be the pick of everyone to build a team around.

Last edited:
Reactions: PKwonthetrade

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Didn't a lot of Oilers fans defend the Strome for Eberle deal, citing Eberle being a ghost last season and pointing out Strome once scored 50 points in the NHL as an easy replacement for Eberle's production?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Lack of depth hurts the team. Mcdavid's good but he can't do it alone. I expect some big changes for the team this summer.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
This shouldn't surprise me on the main board, but your comment demonstrates you know nothing about hockey. In the first place, the word "generational" is not often used by intelligent hockey fans, but has become the buzz-word of tweens who think it applies to every high draft-pick before they've played an NHL game. In the second place, McDavid has been incredibly impressive this season. He's scoring at exactly the same pace as last season, despite the entirety of the rest of the team regressing, and the Oilers as a team being in 23rd place offensively (last year, 8th). He also has the best plus/minus on his team. In other words, he's better than he was last season. It's the rest of the team (possible exceptions of Nurse and Draisaitl) who've been disastrous.

Scoring at same pace was one the term described for Lucic contract. Lol I hope mcddl isn't beginning to plateau too...

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
mUfZl7y.jpg

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Another tale in caution to re-building teams about trying to hit the fast-forward button.

They traded away for horrible returns the pieces that could play with McDavid or that could get them what they need to play with McDavid.

Taylor Hall would have been the perfect winger for McDavid had they allowed them time to gel and grow together.
The Griffin Reinhart and Jordan Eberle trades were also dreadful setting them back further.
The Lucic signing has also turned out badly.

I would be afraid to let Chiarelli make anymore deals. You just know he is going to give up Puljujarvi and trade him right before he seriously breaks out.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The problem is Edmonton just has a losing mentality...and I'm not just talking the on ice product, but the off ice product as well...fans are all cheering for losses, hell after this years draft they'll probably be thinking of tanking next year as well for the next #1 pick (I'm serious, see their board, some are planning for the 2019 #1 pick)

Losing mentality.

It starts with Katz for bringing in the wrong GM's over and over again from the Kevin Lowe days, who kept making the wrong trades or bringing in the wrong coaches that didn't move this team forward, resulting in losses and creating a giant losing mentality. The fans all stopped caring about wins and cheered for losses to give them a reason to boo their their team, the players stopped caring with the lack of support and here we are today. Everyone in the city only knows how to lose.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The problem is Edmonton just has a losing mentality...and I'm not just talking the on ice product, but the off ice product as well...fans are all cheering for losses, hell after this years draft they'll probably be thinking of tanking next year as well for the next #1 pick (I'm serious, see their board, some are planning for the 2019 #1 pick)

Losing mentality.

It starts with Katz for bringing in the wrong GM's over and over again from the Kevin Lowe days, who kept making the wrong trades or bringing in the wrong coaches that didn't move this team forward, resulting in losses and creating a giant losing mentality. The fans all stopped caring about wins and cheered for losses to give them a reason to boo their their team, the players stopped caring with the lack of support and here we are today. Everyone in the city only knows how to lose.
yup

you don't walk out of a record setting amount of losing years unscathed. this organization has a losing mentality. Even the players do, which I thought was a reason for trading Hall and eventually Eberle.

they are my favourite team and throughout the 11 years stink stretch I never cheered losing. Fans did and created this environment. you don't just flip a switch and start winning.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

8. Below average shot.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Dinger refers to the number of McSlapshots some of us have taken in the head.

I definitely would have mentioned that I don't like his hairstyle.

Reactions: PKwonthetrade

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
How are the oilers going to survive McDavid and Drai's new contracts? If they don't sort out their FO it's a death sentence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad