Toronto FC: HOME OPENER Sunday, May 10, 2015 AT 5PM Toronto FC Vs Houston On TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the Globe and Mail, a Cognex Corporation sales executive was also alleged on social media to be a part of the group of Toronto FC fans that harassed CityNews reporter Shauna Hunt by hurling obscenities while she was doing a live hit.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-obscene-on-the-job-hecklers/article24390881/

The statement did not name the employee, but The Globe and Mail has confirmed that he is Shawn Simoes, an engineer who, according to the most recent Sunshine List, earned more than $107,000 a year in wages and benefits.

During his appearance on television, he told the reporter that yelling obscenities at her was “hilarious” and “amazing.”

When the reporter, Shauna Hunt of CityNews, asked him how his mother would feel about his actions, he replied with a smile: “My mom will die laughing eventually.”

By Tuesday, Mr. Simoes and another man, a sales executive who was also alleged on social media to be part of the group of harassers, had shut down their Facebook and LinkedIn accounts.

Several social media posts said the other man works for Cognex Corp.
A company spokeswoman said the views expressed in the video were “reprehensible” and inconsistent with Cognex’s values. “We cannot comment on employee matters publicly, but we take this issue seriously and will be addressing it,” Sarah Laskowski said in a statement.

Mr. Simoes and other men involved in the incident also face a ban of up to a year from all games of the Toronto soccer club and other teams owned by the parent company, Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Why is everyone reporting that Simoes was the guy who yelled FHRITP? He was just standing there drunk, laughing at the aftermath. I understand and agree with the public shaming of the man, but firing someone for laughing at something while probably under the influence of alcohol is a bit of a reach. I mean they did willingly walk towards him and interview him. He didn't do anything to the reporter himself.

It may sound like I'm being an apologist for his actions, but i'm just looking at the situation here.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Why is everyone reporting that Simoes was the guy who yelled FHRITP? He was just standing there drunk, laughing at the aftermath. I understand and agree with the public shaming of the man, but firing someone for laughing at something while probably under the influence of alcohol is a bit of a reach. I mean they did willingly walk towards him and interview him. He didn't do anything to the reporter himself.

It may sound like I'm being an apologist for his actions, but i'm just looking at the situation here.

Misogyny is so normal now guys actually try and defend it. Glad the idiot lost his job. The reporter should press charges against him and then rest of them. This is the same mentality that leads to group ****. Not funny and quite serious. Give your head a shake.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Misogyny is so normal now guys actually try and defend it. Glad the idiot lost his job. The reporter should press charges against him and then rest of them. This is the same mentality that leads to group ****. Not funny and quite serious. Give your head a shake.

So now you want to start a witch hunt and have the entire group fired. Nice. Does it end there or do you want to continue to shame them publically? At what point will you be satisfied? You want to ruin their lives and chances for future employment? I'm glad I wasn't there. I could have been harassed by the reporter just for standing in the vicinity and smiling.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012

Okay so they lost their jobs and got publicly humiliated. The guy who didn't even say it on live TV will probably never get another engineering job again and his family will ultimately suffer. I think they learned their lesson.

Or should the media continue with their gross overreaction until the group of men are drawn and quartered in the town square?

I'm in the opinion of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes", but considering that I still can't scroll down my twitter timeline without thousands tweets about this meaningless incident, I'd say give a ****ing rest now.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
1) all those dudebros involved and/or laughing at it are morons and generally pitiful human beings. I have no doubt they are ********** in their day to day life as well as while attending sporting events

2) the phrase is misogynistic. If you think otherwise you are on just about the same intellectual level as these losers. I applaud Shauna Hunt for confronting them.

3) MLSE banning them from all facilities (while practically impossible) is perfectly acceptable.

4) that the man and/others are losing their jobs over it is utterly absurd.

All of those things can be, and are in fact, true.

:teach:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Okay so they lost their jobs and got publicly humiliated. The guy who didn't even say it on live TV will probably never get another engineering job again and his family will ultimately suffer. I think they learned their lesson.

Or should the media continue with their gross overreaction until the group of men are drawn and quartered in the town square?

I'm in the opinion of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes", but considering that I still can't scroll down my twitter timeline without thousands tweets about this meaningless incident, I'd say give a ****ing rest now.

So the guy is somehow a victim now because he got punished for promoting the public denigration of women? What year is this? What country are we living in?

So women shouldn't be reporters? If they do harass the crap outa them systemically and maybe they'll send men instead?

Is this what this means?

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
1) all those dudebros involved and/or laughing at it are morons and generally pitiful human beings. I have no doubt they are ********** in their day to day life as well as while attending sporting events

2) the phrase is misogynistic. If you think otherwise you are on just about the same intellectual level as these losers. I applaud Shauna Hunt for confronting them.

3) MLSE banning them from all facilities (while practically impossible) is perfectly acceptable.

4) that the man and/others are losing their jobs over it is utterly absurd.

All of those things can be, and are in fact, true.

:teach:

I think everything you said is good except No. 4. It is not abnormal for firms to fire employees who publicly - this includes social media - contravene the law or the moral standards outlined by the company at the time of hire - standard codes of conduct.

Everyone of those drunken employees deserve to be let-go without compensation. I would not want to work with any of them and especially if I were a woman.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
So the guy is somehow a victim now because he got punished for promoting the public denigration of women? What year is this? What country are we living in?

So women shouldn't be reporters? If they do harass the crap outa them systemically and maybe they'll send men instead?

Is this what this means?

The amount of reaching in this post is so ridiculous, it could dunk a basketball without jumping.

Do you also believe in twitter justice over the judiciary?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

"You're lucky you don't have a ****ing vibrator in your ear. Like in England"

-Shawn Simoes

He did something...

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
The amount of reaching in this post is so ridiculous, it could dunk a basketball without jumping.

Do you also believe in twitter justice over the judiciary?

I would like to see them charged so the can be tried for sexual abuse judicially. A company does not have to go to court to fire an employee they feel has contravene their codes. The fired employee can respond by hiring a lawyer and fighting the company in court for reparations.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
So now you want to start a witch hunt and have the entire group fired. Nice. Does it end there or do you want to continue to shame them publically? At what point will you be satisfied? You want to ruin their lives and chances for future employment? I'm glad I wasn't there. I could have been harassed by the reporter just for standing in the vicinity and smiling.

This is exhibit A. Is this what it's come to? So the reporter challenging those jerks is twisted into her harassing them? Seriously?

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008

He may not of been the one to say the "FHRITP" but he did tell her she was lucky she didn't have a vibrator in her ear, I'd say that's just as bad. They all came off as a bunch of moronic ********** who don't think before they speak.
Good for her for standing up for herself.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
He may not of been the one to say the "FHRITP" but he did tell her she was lucky she didn't have a vibrator in her ear, I'd say that's just as bad. They all came off as a bunch of moronic ********** who don't think before they speak.
Good for her for standing up for herself.

What pisses me off as well is how funny and cool they tried to make themselves look, idiots.

BleedsBlueAndWhite

Jul 8, 2011
I think everything you said is good except No. 4. It is not abnormal for firms to fire employees who publicly - this includes social media - contravene the law or the moral standards outlined by the company at the time of hire - standard codes of conduct.

Everyone of those drunken employees deserve to be let-go without compensation. I would not want to work with any of them and especially if I were a woman.

As much as I disagree with what they did, losing their jobs is excessive.
They were not there on company time. That was their personal time.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie

Whatever it takes for morons to start finally understanding what sexual harassment really is.

I would normally also like to see them charged but I do think that losing a 6-figure pay check is bad enough and not many courts in this country would add much more to it since yes, they do take things like that into account during trial and sentencing.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
As much as I disagree with what they did, losing their jobs is excessive.
They were not there on company time. That was their personal time.

100% irrelevant. Having a job is not a right.

This is not new, its common for people to lose their jobs for dumb things they do 'on their own time'.

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
The guy who worked at HydroOne didn't even say it, he just said he found it funny. Now he's going to sue MLSE/HydroOne and get compensated accordingly.

On what basis do you think he'll have a claim? I admit I'm not familiar with the rules that MLSE uses to determine whether a person should be banned from their facilities, but I'm pretty certain that HydroONE would have checked with their lawyers to see whether they could terminate the guy before they took steps to do so.

Outside of union contexts, most employees can be terminated with pay in lieu of notice and the employer doesn't even need to have a reason. Here, it seems like they even have a reason. I bet this Code of Conduct is written into their employment contract and any breaches will lead to termination

BleedsBlueAndWhite

Jul 8, 2011
100% irrelevant. Having a job is not a right.

This is not new, its common for people to lose their jobs for dumb things they do 'on their own time'.

So if you flip the bird to a driver that cuts you off and he snaps a picture of it, sends it to your boss...your boss has the right to fire you for that?

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
If you are there representing the company...sure. He was not representing his company. He did not have their logo displayed.

I get the logic behind what you're saying but I don't really blame the company. They have to worry about their profitability more than the employment of a couple idiots and bad public relations can equal bad profits. The minute that people found out that these idiots worked at their company, you know they had to do something about it.

And yeah, your boss can fire you for whatever he/she wants generally outside of the union context (although if no notice is given, they have to give you a certain number of weeks pay). It's how people can laid off for downsizing all the time (i.e. through no fault of their own).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad