Pre-Game Talk: Home Opener | Saturday @ 7PM | Bruins @ Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Babcock happy with Matthews and other kids, wants Maple Leafs veterans to step up

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/1...er-kids-wants-maple-leafs-veterans-to-step-up

Yeah, BUT, if Anderssen had played the way he's going to be playing in 5 or 10 games from now after he gets in form, and he doesn't give up 2 or 3 softies as he did, the ENTIRE narrative of everyone, including Babcock would be different right now.

The vets didn't score any goals, neither did all the rookies (ACTUALLY NO ONE DID EXCEPT MATTHEWS), but, really, none of the vets played all that bad. But, you got to feed the media and it's great to have interesting things to talk about, so, hey, let's say the vets underachieved. I call BS - just a little bit.

Nobody gets hurt (psychologically - too much) when Babcock calls out the vets, especially after the first game and this time of the year, so, that's what he did, and the media and the fans are happy, the coach has answered the question of why we lost - so to speak. .

Why not just say the truth and move on. Anderssen let in 2 or 3 softies, he's knows it, NO BIG DEAL cause he's much better and he will be better.

It's good though, because, Anderssen is better than that and will be better, so, why start something - just ignore it cause it's going to go away as soon as he rounds in to form, which might take a few games. In the meantime - no need to draw any attention to him AT ALL.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Yeah, BUT, if Anderssen had played the way he's going to be playing in 5 or 10 games from now after he gets in form, and he doesn't give up 2 or 3 softies as he did, the ENTIRE narrative of everyone, including Babcock would be different right now.

The vets didn't score any goals, neither did all the rookies (ACTUALLY NO ONE DID EXCEPT MATTHEWS), but, really, none of the vets played all that bad. But, you got to feed the media and it's great to have interesting things to talk about, so, hey, let's say the vets underachieved. I call BS - just a little bit.

Nobody gets hurt (psychologically - too much) when Babcock calls out the vets, especially after the first game and this time of the year, so, that's what he did, and the media and the fans are happy, the coach has answered the question of why we lost - so to speak. .

Why not just say the truth and move on. Anderssen let in 2 or 3 softies, he's knows it, NO BIG DEAL cause he's much better and he will be better.

It's good though, because, Anderssen is better than that and will be better, so, why start something - just ignore it cause it's going to go away as soon as he rounds in to form, which might take a few games. In the meantime - no need to draw any attention to him AT ALL.

Because he is trying to take the heat off Andersen. We've all seen what fans and media can do to struggling goalies in Toronto. The last thing they want is everyone piling on him and affecting his mindset. Andersen is a good goalie, but I am not sure if he truly realized the extent of the difference between playing in Anaheim and playing in Toronto. I am sure he does now, and he knows, as does the coaches and management, that he has to get better quickly or it isn't going to be pretty.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I'm really hoping to see a cleaner game, this Saturday night.

The Leafs looked great at times in Ottawa. There was a nice big stretch of the game where they controlled the puck/play. It was beautiful to watch.

All that was marred by a lot of sloppy play and some very concerning turnovers in their end. I kept saying to myself "how are they beating the fore checker to the puck and still giving up a scoring chance!?"

Anderson has to be a lot better as well. He made a few great stops but also let in 2 softies (3 depending on who you ask). That has to end for the Leafs to win games.

Is Boston the physical menace this year, that we've seen in other seasons? If so, the boys need to keep their heads up and keep moving the puck.

Go Leafs Go!

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I thought they played pretty well overall Wednesday in Ottawa. I found there were a lot of needless turnovers that led to Ottawa chances (and goals in some cases). The weak play by the wingers on Marincin's wring around is one that stands out as the worst.

I felt we were clearly the better team, and if Andersen didn't give up the (for sure) 2 weak goals we would have won that game. AndersOn wasn't much better I suppose but AndersEn was not sharp.

I agree that the vets didn't generate a whole lot on offence, but I just attributed that to the way the game plan is set. Young'ens go out and score some goals. Vets, keep them off the scoreboard.

We need to understand too, the Sens are not a good team, in fact they were pretty terrible in that game so we should get a better gauge tomorrow night of what we have.

I am for sure hoping Andersen takes a step forward with his play. If that happens and the D clean up some of their zone exits we'll be in it to win it.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I thought the last game was too much like pond hockey. Andersen wasn't good, but when guys can walk right in, or receive a pass 5ft in front of him, turn around and shoot with noone touching them, that's a problem. Team defence was lacking huge.
I thought the Sens took some liberties too. Martin was apparently on the ice when Neil crushed Hunwick, and nothing?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Need a better game from Andersen but we also need a better game from the depth scores, Kadri Bozak JVR Komarov these guys did NOTHING against Ottawa

The 4 of them combined had 6 shots on goal

And in Kadri's case he did literally nothing

No goals no assist no points no shots no hits no block shots

There is an interview with former raptors coach Sam Mitchell where he talks about players having stat lines of 0 0 0 0 0

There was literally Kadri against Ottawa

At least Bozak Komarov JVR they all had shots.

It amazes me that in this day and age, living in this wonderful country where you have easy access to so many resources, you choose to stay in the dark and not take advantage of the information that is out there and educate yourself.

https://theenergyline.wordpress.com/2016/10/13/ott-5-tor-4-10122016/

More than enough information to show that he had a good game with a positive impact. They completely shut down the Turris line if not for a boneheaded play by Martin Marincin.

JVR and Bozak were awful defensively and looked like they were taking a leisure skate after the first period.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
After trying to watch as many different games as possible last night it's clear to me Ottawa is a bottom tier team. I can't see the rookies being nearly as good vs the better teams, which I'd say Boston falls into that category. Really need the vets to step up and contribute Saturday, if they play the disappearing act again I can see it getting ugly very quick.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Because he is trying to take the heat off Andersen. We've all seen what fans and media can do to struggling goalies in Toronto. The last thing they want is everyone piling on him and affecting his mindset. Andersen is a good goalie, but I am not sure if he truly realized the extent of the difference between playing in Anaheim and playing in Toronto. I am sure he does now, and he knows, as does the coaches and management, that he has to get better quickly or it isn't going to be pretty.

But Babcock did call Andersen out on the softies. He said he could be better and if you ask him he would say the same.
Imo Babcock seems to know that this was the first game of the season and his comments suited that scenario.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Lucky Bergeron isn't likely to be ready.

Miller is injured for 4-6 weeks. We should be able to take advantage of their defense as long as we can keep their top 6 forward group in check

My 2 cents.

We need our vets to step up and we need Andersen to be more reliable.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Marincin is hot garbage. Stick him with polak. Let hunwick sit.

Reilly-zaitsev
Gardiner-carrick
Marincin-polak

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Hopefully Griffith is in for Holland ....Holland to me is soft, makes poor decisions and plays with little or no intensity especially for a big man ....no time for him at at all.
I don't get him either. If I had his skating ability and shot and decent size I'd do whatever it takes to be a player in the NHL. No one is saying it's easy but if he committed to the defensive side of the puck and was willing to go to the dirty areas I wouldn't be surprised if he got a chance to be a top 6 winger.However I see no signs of him doing this and it makes me wonder how badly he wants it. Unless he surprises us and decides to do what it takes, I don't see him surviving the season.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Need a better game from Andersen but we also need a better game from the depth scores, Kadri Bozak JVR Komarov these guys did NOTHING against Ottawa

The 4 of them combined had 6 shots on goal

And in Kadri's case he did literally nothing

No goals no assist no points no shots no hits no block shots

There is an interview with former raptors coach Sam Mitchell where he talks about players having stat lines of 0 0 0 0 0

There was literally Kadri against Ottawa

At least Bozak Komarov JVR they all had shots.

Kadri was great defensively. That's enough to not get on him after one game.

His offense was lacking with him trying to do too much, but still had a positive impact... Anyone else catch him trying to outdo Matthews and Marner? He simplifies like he did second half, he'll be even better.

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
Marincin is hot garbage. Stick him with polak. Let hunwick sit.

Reilly-zaitsev
Gardiner-carrick
Marincin-polak

Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case actually, Babcock was fuming after the 4th goal and rightfully so.

What a lazy play, and he iced the puck like 5 times during the game.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006

Andersen is a good percentages goaltender. Cool, calm, moves laterally well, handles the puck well. He's solid. Not great, but solid.

He is also a goaltender who will make most of the saves he should, including some he shouldn't. But, and this is the big issue with him, he will also give up a softy every now and then, and unfortunately there are sometimes stretches where that can happen a bit too often. There was period last season, for example, where it felt like it was happening every game. He didn't lose games for Anaheim, but he made it that much tougher at a time when Anaheim couldn't score goals to save their lives. Those periods of time are temporary, and then it's back to a softy only every now and then like any goaltender.

So what we saw last game was the real Andersen, who is known for giving up soft goals and goes on long stretches of being useless. I don't really have faith in him.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
It amazes me that in this day and age, living in this wonderful country where you have easy access to so many resources, you choose to stay in the dark and not take advantage of the information that is out there and educate yourself.

https://theenergyline.wordpress.com/2016/10/13/ott-5-tor-4-10122016/

More than enough information to show that he had a good game with a positive impact. They completely shut down the Turris line if not for a boneheaded play by Martin Marincin.

JVR and Bozak were awful defensively and looked like they were taking a leisure skate after the first period.

His game was lacking on the offensive side but he did a good job shutting down the Sens. I seem to recall him having a couple shots on net?

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
It was hard not to notice how bad Marincin was in the first game. He better pull up his socks. I am sure someone who's on the Marlies and ready could supplant him.

Yeh, he pulled the same **** last year as well but then he got better. I don't think they'll be that patient with him this year tho.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Kadri won't collect zeros forever, but you got wonder about his new identity crisis: paid like a 2nd line C, nifty mittens, and now a shut down C?

This could be a trade in the making.

It shocks me how little the league thinks of Kadri. Not every amazing player puts up PPG.

Also, his contract is crazy good value for what he brings.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
I don't get him either. If I had his skating ability and shot and decent size I'd do whatever it takes to be a player in the NHL. No one is saying it's easy but if he committed to the defensive side of the puck and was willing to go to the dirty areas I wouldn't be surprised if he got a chance to be a top 6 winger.However I see no signs of him doing this and it makes me wonder how badly he wants it. Unless he surprises us and decides to do what it takes, I don't see him surviving the season.

I get what you are saying but maybe he is doing all he can and these are just the results? He is worth what he is getting paid in my opinion.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If Andersen and Matthews are a little better, everything will be fine. :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad