Hitman (2016)

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I'm cool with that. I can see it being annoying on multiple playthroughs, but I rarely play games twice.

And regarding the script, that's all new stuff. There was little to no dialogue between npcs in the old school games.

This is a good example of flavour vs gameplay.

It makes much more sense (what I refer to as flavour) for things to happen even if you aren't there to witness/trigger them.

The flip side is it can be easier to exploit and lead to fragmented gameplay experience where the player missed out on a lot of important information and sometimes stumbles his or her to victory through sheer, dumb luck: both of these are things designers should aim to avoid at all costs. You don't get second chances to make a first impression.

As far as design goes I think gameplay should always trump flavour but the tension between the two is enhanced in a video game. Still, in this case having the player experience key events before being able to complete the level doesn't deter exploration which is clearly going to be a huge pillar this game relies on.

The only real downside I see is "it makes no sense", which is valid but ultimately meaningless and that speed runs are going to be lengthened. And even for speed runs, it's not that big of deal.

I can definitely buy that the developers want to give you a more cinematic experience where you are always at the center of things at the right time, and if you only play the game one or two times it's probably even more fun. In my case though it's a bad thing because what I like about the series above all other games is the replay value. It's so fun to discover new approaches in the old games and sometimes you feel like not even developers thought of doing what you did (though obviously they did). It just feels a bit too obvious now that you're following someone else's plan.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think you will still be able to find alternative approaches to certain situations.

You'll just need to go through certain check points instead of b-lining it to make it to a certain point before the target

The challenge will be of a different nature but who knows? Maybe it will enhance it in an unforeseen way?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
This game runs like butter on max on my machine. Using a GTX 970 too.

I was getting some slowdown on the boat when alot of people are around. otherwise seems okay

ill talk about gameplay after ive played through it a couple more times. on the whole very satisfied with some reservations

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
so I completed every feat, discovery and challenge across both maps. took me about 4 or 5 hours as I needed a good few alternate playthroughs to do each kill type and an extra couple for the perfect assassin feat

overall im really happy with how its shaping up. the only time I got annoyed was on the first mission, I planted a bomb in Sparrow's office and went back to start to get ready to blow it. but the meeting never happened. Sparrow and the other dude just stood beside each other with nothing happening. I had to go back onto the boat, get into disguise and stand near them to make the meeting happen. but frustrating but yeah

small complaint for an otherwise very fun experience so far

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
the only time I got annoyed was on the first mission, I planted a bomb in Sparrow's office and went back to start to get ready to blow it. but the meeting never happened. Sparrow and the other dude just stood beside each other with nothing happening. I had to go back onto the boat, get into disguise and stand near them to make the meeting happen. but frustrating but yeah

small complaint for an otherwise very fun experience so far

Everyone in the level only exists for your sake and it makes you feel like Jim Carrey in The Truman Show rather than an unexpected assassin who comes from nowhere and screws up someone's day. For me that's a big problem, even though everything else is great about the Beta. Hopefully it won't be as obvious in the actual game.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Everyone in the level only exists for your sake and it makes you feel like Jim Carrey in The Truman Show rather than an unexpected assassin who comes from nowhere and screws up someone's day. For me that's a big problem, even though everything else is great about the Beta. Hopefully it won't be as obvious in the actual game.

the only other time this was an issue was doing the one where you disguise yourself as the dude the Sparrow is meeting. he WILL NOT move from his car until you board the boat and theres nowhere on the boat to subdue him. took me a while to realise you have to chain coins together to make him walk behind the wood panels at the back lol

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Everyone in the level only exists for your sake and it makes you feel like Jim Carrey in The Truman Show rather than an unexpected assassin who comes from nowhere and screws up someone's day. For me that's a big problem....

That's a weird complaint. It's a video game...everything exists for your sake.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I watched Lirik play the beta the other day, the writing and voice acting is so laughably bad, I actually want to play it for the laughs. Here are some of the hilarious lines I heard guards say:

"You can't just go around knocking people out like that" (this is while 47 was disguised as a guard and was just knocking random people out.)

"Oh my God! He's a murderer!" (a guard said this after killing somebody, maybe a beta bug doing a civilian's voice but the voice was the same from the above, unless they have the same person voicing guards and civilians which is just confusing.)

"Is that a man up there?" (a guard seeing you being suspicious on a higher platform.)

The voice acting itself is really bad too. It seriously sounded like some college kid who was like "oh man, do I have to do this? Fine, let's just get it over with." :laugh:

The gameplay looked fine for what I expect from a beta. Some dumb bugs, but a beta is meant to have them. It did look like it'd be fun, but man, that voice acting.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF

well yes, but its contrary to the structure of the gameplay, and that can be a problem

you dont see any issue with the example I posted with the meeting? Im forced to jump through the games arbitrary hoop that doesnt make any sense in the context of the scenario

like I said its a small thing, but its part of what made Blood Money great

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada

It breaks the immersion when the world just waits around for you. It can also limit the gameplay possibilities since you might have to hit a certain checkpoint to activate the NPC.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
That's just over thinking it. It's a game, just enjoy it.

That's an overly simplistic point of view. What a lot of people enjoyed about Hitman was the freedom the game provided. In fact one of the best aspects was that you could over think your entire mission and go about it any way you wanted. When you require the player to be at a certain spot to trigger some event or NPC behavior it can limit that. I already played a Hitman game (Absolution) where they limited your choices, and it was disappointing.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It is silly to think nothing is gained either.

Never said nothing could be gained. They obviously made that choice for a reason, probably to have more control over what the players sees and does to allow for more scripted events. But personally I don't think the pros outweigh the cons and it's a disappointing change from the old Hitman games.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
It is silly to think nothing is gained either.

I think theres an acceptable limitation

overhearing a conversation that only happens when you are nearby, im fine with that

the example I posted, where it gets in the way of gameplay doesnt feel right to me. I hope theres as few examples of this in the full game as possible

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Live Component info
Q: What exactly is the "live component"?
A: It covers many things. Get ready for a long read.

Elusive Targets
The Contracts that are available for a limited-time are what we call Elusive Targets. An Elusive Target is the closest thing to the Hitman fantasy that we've ever created. These targets will be custom-created characters that are added to existing locations and are only there for a limited time in real-time. You'll only have one chance to take them down. If they escape, they are gone for good. If you kill them, that's the way that you killed them. There are no do-overs and no second chances. When an Elusive Target leaves the game world (one way or another) they never return.
Each Elusive Target will have a custom briefing video, a backstory and a unique reason for being in that location. When you're actually playing in the location, the Elusive Target will not appear on the map and will not appear in Instinct. In order to find them, you'll need to use clues from the briefing video and a photograph that you will be able to review. You'll need to explore, find your target, learn their patterns and come up with a plan to eliminate them - all whilst playing. The pressure will be on when you've got the target in your sights. If you miss the shot and chaos breaks loose, you will need to have a plan B, because the save-game is disabled during an Elusive Target. If you kill the wrong person or die when trying to exfiltrate, that's it. Game over, the target escapes.
As the season unfolds, you’ll earn in-game rewards for completing multiple Elusive Target contracts. The rewards are signature suits from previous Hitman games and versions of those suits with gloves. There’s also a version of the signature suit from the new HITMAN with gloves.
We know that Elusive Targets are not going to be easy, they were designed that way.

Escalation Mode
Escalation Mode is something else completely new for HITMAN and was created as a way to regularly provide a fresh challenge to players. You'll need to master the location as well as the gameplay mechanics to complete a hit that will escalate in difficulty by adding new elements. As an example, the first stage could be to eliminate your target with a sabre. Then, the second stage could be to eliminate your target with a sabre whilst dressed as a waiter and removing any security camera recordings within two minutes. We are able to change where the security cameras are and also add additional ‘security’ measures to the locations, such as laser trip-wire explosives that you’ll need to avoid.
Escalation Mode has a strong focus on having fun with the game mechanics and mixing them up – pretty much anything goes in this mode. It’s more about being playful than realistic. For each Escalation Contract, there are five stages and you're free to replay them as you wish to climb the leaderboards. As with Elusive Targets, the save-game functions are disabled.
All Escalation contracts and Elusive Targets are created by IOI and will be released between the location releases as part of the live content.

Contracts Mode
On top of those new features, we also have Contracts Mode. You'll know this from Absolution. Play-to-create, mark your own targets, choose how to kill them and compete against your friends. IOI will also pick the best of the bunch and put them in the Featured Contracts list so you've got something fresh to play whenever you load up the game.

Heisenberg77

Jan 8, 2007
The beta is available now for PS Plus subscribers. (Uncharted Multiplayer beta as well!)

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
I'm not appealed to the replay value of the beta. I just wanna do the the mission once, and do things my way. Replaying the mission while following certain rules is lame.

Hopefully the main game isn't like this. There's gonna be BOAT LOADS of targets in the map right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad