Value of: High end package from New Jersey

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Schmid and Daws are in their age 24 and age 23 seasons, respectively.

Hellebuyck didn't become a start until his age 24 season.
Shesterkin didn't become a starter until his age 25 season.
Sorokin didn't become a starter until his age 25 season.
Saros didn't become a starter until his age 25 season.
Demko didn't become a starter until his age 26 season.
Ullmark didn't become a starter until his age 26 season.
Markstrom didn't become a starter until his age 28 season.
Yeah we're burying kids for not being Patrick Roy outta da gate. Probelm is though, Fitz cannot go into next season with either Allen/Kakohneen, or any combo with Allen and the youngsters. I see it as a placeholder for a starter, so Starte/Allen with ND/AS in Utica. If Akira want out like I hear, move him for assets, if that means showcasing him then it does. Only other thing to do is pkg with and get value for him

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
New Jersey acquired Allen with full intention of him being the 1B goaltender next season. (This was part of their pitch to get him to waive his NTC) so he won't be getting moved anywhere this summer.

But I do think Holtz + something else for Ullmark makes sense for both.

Could 2024 1st + Holtz + Casey get Swayman???
Swayman will cost more than that.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If it help facilitate a trade Montreal could take Holtz off your hands for WIN 1st and a second round pick (similar trade to Newhook). One of our young D can also be on the table instead of the second round pick

Who know, maybe the team who has assets that you want would prefer draft picks over Holtz

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
What could this package get for New Jersey?

Looking for an elite goalie, and/or a heavy defensive minded Top 4 Defenseman.

- 2024 1st round pick (Will be around 10th overall)
- Alexander Holtz
- Jonas Siegenthaler
- Josh Filmon
Montreal probably could trade you one of their young D for your first pick? Not moving Guhle, Wifi, Reinbacher nor Hutson.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Eh, that's a really solid offer.

It’s an interesting collection of assets but not enticing. If Boston moves Swayman it’s to get more of a sure thing to impact the team now, not a collection of maybes. Holtz would have the same problems getting time in Boston with his play away from the puck. Casey plays at a position when the Bruins have McAvoy and Carlo locked up for a long time. The first is in the part of the draft that isn’t great compared to most years. Like it’s a fine offer in EA Sports, but completely uninteresting in real life.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Montreal probably could trade you one of their young D for your first pick? Not moving Guhle, Wifi, Reinbacher nor Hutson.
Who are these young defensemen who could get a first round pick from the Devils? Because I can't find any if you are not willing to trade Guhle, Wifi, Reinbacher or Hutson. Devils don't need someone like Mailloux (or Hutson), they need someone who can actually defend.

Reactions: TBF1972

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Who are these young defensemen who could get a first round pick from the Devils? Because I can't find any if you are not willing to trade Guhle, Wifi, Reinbacher or Hutson. Devils don't need someone like Mailloux (or Hutson), they need someone who can actually defend.
Struble is solid with huge upside. I have him better than Romanov

• Haha
Reactions: TBF1972

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Schmid and Daws are in their age 24 and age 23 seasons, respectively.

Hellebuyck didn't become a start until his age 24 season.
Shesterkin didn't become a starter until his age 25 season.
Sorokin didn't become a starter until his age 25 season.
Saros didn't become a starter until his age 25 season.
Demko didn't become a starter until his age 26 season.
Ullmark didn't become a starter until his age 26 season.
Markstrom didn't become a starter until his age 28 season.
Yeah, i saw a guy hit a royal flush playing poker on TV. I should definitely bet my next hand like I'm going to hit a royal flush on the river.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's had a rough year.

I'm of the opinion that they won't move him and I don't believe that they'll actually do much of anything to the defense for next year. Fitz has shown he is patient. Can't trade every guy on a down year and Marino and Siegs had down seasons. I suspect that he's going to let each of them show that they can bounce back. Bahl is the only guy that I can see get shipped out to try and improve that third pairing.

Yeah. I don't really see him making huge revisions to the defence either. The whole...letting Graves and Severson walk thing was always a bit of a gamble and a "take a step back to take two steps forward" sort of thing. It was always about not committing to older guys, because there are young players coming, like Nemec and Hughes.

There's a bit of a missing link there though...where it seems pretty doubled up on certain skillsets. Though that probably looks more like you're suggesting...trying to find an upgrade on Bahl as a physical, defensive/matchup sort of presence. Bahl hasn't filled Graves' shoes at all. So that's something that you probably have to figure out to get Marino going again. Heck, they could probably get Graves himself back for not that much if they wanted to. :laugh:

As far as Severson...i think Nemec has pretty much stepped in and backfilled that. With a year of experience under his belt, i think that's all pretty squared away down the RHD side.

But that's where it probably makes even less sense to move Siegenthaler in a deal, where he may have had a down year (low point in his value) but is still effectively their best defensive-oriented LHD. Where they really need to add another player like that, rather than subtract one. Unless he's being packaged for a major LHD upgrade...i'm still not sure how that would even look. That value contract he's on seems like an important part of the cap structure anyway.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Three way?
Avs - ulnark Colorado gets the goalie we need

Devils - Georgiev and Josh Manso - devils get a physical RD and a 1A/1B Goalie

Bruins - NJ 2nd, Colorado first, Oskar O Boston gets first rounder a second rounder and a former 1rd winger

HOW FAR AM I OFF?

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
montreal definitely would. none of the remaining prospects is probably worth a 1st and you want the devils late lottery pick.

i already said too much.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
if Ullmark (or any of these goalies) gets moved, the B's will be very underwhelmed with the return, as is tradition on HFBoards. Especially for a goalie.

Honestly, I think that GMs are starting to figure out than in todays post giant pads world the delta between a good goalie and “a guy” is bigger than it was in the past. I also think that fans make this erroneous connection between all the average goalies that have been moved in the past versus the top guys that just don’t ever get moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad