Line Combos: Hey HFOil, Help Out Our Pro Scouts! Long Term Wingers For McDavid and Draisaitl

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If the first 2 games against Winnipeg has shown us anything, it's that we basically have Puljujarvi and nothing else in terms of wingers that can do the dirty work and have some skill to play with our 2 best players. RNH doesn't have the dynamic offensive ability or strength to play that role for either center. Yamamoto is full of try, but doesn't have the strength or confidence to make himself an impact winger right now. Kahun hasn't done enough to cement his spot there either and like the other two, he doesn't have the ability to be a beast along the boards or in front of the net.

So we have Puljujarvi and younger players coming up through the system that could fill that role in Holloway and Lavoie. The problem there is that we don't know when/if they will be ready for such a role. We finally have some cap space opening up but we don't need another Kyle Turris situation where we add a player that is clearly on his last legs as a NHL player. If you watch a lot of NHL and/or AHL hockey, who might we be able to add to fill such roles without costing us a Bouchard, Broberg or Holloway to get? Who is this offseason's Josh Anderson or Nick Ritchie? Guys with size and skill that can muck it up so that Connor and Leon can pick their spots to do so. Guys that can be buy low candidates and turn out to be longer term fixtures here?

Reactions: BlackDogg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Said it before, Michael Bunting seems like a very interesting buy-low option.

10 goals in 21 games in the desert. Not a soft player.

Group 6 UFA.

Listed at 5'11" and 197lbs., is he strong on his skates and hard to play against? How about his teammate Lawson Crouse? Does he have the speed or skill to pull it off?

Reactions: iCanada

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Timo Meier is rumoured to be available. He has a 10 million dollar qualifying offer tho after 2 more seasons so your gonna have to get him extended or let him go to UFA.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Timo Meier is rumoured to be available. He has a 10 million dollar qualifying offer tho after 2 more seasons so your gonna have to get him extended or let him go to UFA.

Yeah there is no way that he'd be worth that QO. So you look at him as a 2 year fix and possibly longer if he likes it here and signs for a more reasonable sum. I know someone here that's a Sharks fan and he says that Timo takes some really dumb penalties.

Reactions: 780il

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like the Evander Kane trade suggestion. He's become a more well rounded player and he's still fast and heavy hitting. I haven't thought about a lot of trade targets though.

The UFA market is easier to sort through:

Landeskog
Hyman
Coleman
Bunting

maybe...
Saad
N Foligno
F Gaudreau

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah there is no way that he'd be worth that QO. So you look at him as a 2 year fix and possibly longer if he likes it here and signs for a more reasonable sum. I know someone here that's a Sharks fan and he says that Timo takes some really dumb penalties.

Two year fix works for the Oilers.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Listed at 5'11" and 197lbs., is he strong on his skates and hard to play against? How about his teammate Lawson Crouse? Does he have the speed or skill to pull it off?

"This guy deserves a chance to get up here.’ What he supplies to this team is something we’ve lacked, a guy willing to go to the net. If you look at his goals, they’re all near the front of the net. He’s a guy we sorely need in this organization.” - Rick Tocchet on Bunting.

Seems like something we could use. He once compared himself to Marchand (but, well no)

Crouse is a 4th liner to me, I bet Holloway will be better as soon as the second half of next year.

Canada did drop a deuce vs Latvia, but Bunting is playing at the Worlds for those wanting to scout. Started on a line with Nick Paul and Gabriel Vilardi.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I like the Evander Kane trade suggestion. He's become a more well rounded player and he's still fast and heavy hitting. I haven't thought about a lot of trade targets though.

The UFA market is easier to sort through:

Landeskog
Hyman
Coleman
Bunting

maybe...
Saad
N Foligno
F Gaudreau

And with his financial woes he should be trying to extend his career as long as possible so hopefully he will keep in shape and motivated throughout his contract.

Two year fix works for the Oilers.

Depends on the ask I suppose. He'd be a useful power forward for sure.

"This guy deserves a chance to get up here.’ What he supplies to this team is something we’ve lacked, a guy willing to go to the net. If you look at his goals, they’re all near the front of the net. He’s a guy we sorely need in this organization.” - Rick Tocchet on Bunting.

Seems like something we could use. He once compared himself to Marchand (but, well no)

Crouse is a 4th liner to me, I bet Holloway will be better as soon as the second half of next year.

Canada did drop a deuce vs Latvia, but Bunting is playing at the Worlds for those wanting to scout. Started on a line with Nick Paul and Gabriel Vilardi.

Thanks, he knows where to go, but does he have the physical tools and drive to keep going there? Is he a decent passer?

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
A few names from the UFA list comes to mind.

Brock McGinn 2.1M AAV
Blake Coleman 1.8M AAV
Sean Kuraly 1.275M AAV
Barclay Goodrow 925K AAV

Still wish we jumped on that Craig Smith train but he's now in Boston. :(

I also think Nick Bonino could be an upgrade on Nuge. Not sure what his ask will be and his cap hit is 4.1M AAV.

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
A few names from the UFA list comes to mind.

Brock McGinn 2.1M AAV
Blake Coleman 1.8M AAV
Sean Kuraly 1.275M AAV
Barclay Goodrow 925K AAV

Still wish we jumped on that Craig Smith train but he's now in Boston. :(

I also think Nick Bonino could be an upgrade on Nuge. Not sure what his ask will be and his cap hit is 4.1M AAV.

You have a seconder on Barclay Goodrow.

Can play C in pinches, plays the game hard, one of the better defensive forwards out there. An underrated part of what turned TBL into a winner.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
With Holloway and Lavoie we might have our answers internally.

Lavoie McDavid PJ
Holloway Draisaitl Yamo

The issue for me is lines 3 and 4. They need a complete overhaul.

McLoed at C sure. Archie for another year.
The rest all need to be replaced.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017

Can play C in pinches, plays the game hard, one of the better defensive forwards out there.
The issue with him is that he's going to get a lot of suitors looking for his service this off season. The guy's been in SJ and now with Tampa and enjoys the sun. I don't think he's coming here but a man can wish. :(

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Can play C in pinches, plays the game hard, one of the better defensive forwards out there. An underrated part of what turned TBL into a winner.
Me 3 on Goodrow. Great bottom 6 player, would be an excellent 3lw for us. I also really like Kuraly as a 4th line lw/c.

I wonder what Goodrow will get on his next deal. I would take him on a 2x2 in a heartbeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad