Line Combos: Hey HFOil, Help Out Our Pro Scouts! Long Term Wingers For McDavid and Draisaitl

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
With Holloway and Lavoie we might have our answers internally.

Lavoie McDavid PJ
Holloway Draisaitl Yamo

The issue for me is lines 3 and 4. They need a complete overhaul.

McLoed at C sure. Archie for another year.
The rest all need to be replaced.

Neither Holloway or Lavoie will be ready to help the big club next year. Not in any real way, as they will both be raw rookies. Lavoie will 100% play the season in the AHL. Holloway likely does as well, although maybe he makes the team in a bottom six energy role.

We don't have any troops coming for support from within. We will have to rely on free agents and trades. I really wonder what we could get for Broberg or Samorukov in a trade, as they are valuable pieces but are both years away from helping at all.

Reactions: iCanada

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Neither Holloway or Lavoie will be ready to help the big club next year. Not in any real way, as they will both be raw rookies. Lavoie will 100% play the season in the AHL. Holloway likely does as well, although maybe he makes the team in a bottom six energy role.

We don't have any troops coming for support from within. We will have to rely on free agents and trades. I really wonder what we could get for Broberg or Samorukov in a trade, as they are valuable pieces but are both years away from helping at all.

I'm not so sure that Holloway won't be ready to be a top 6 option, I just don't want the team banking on it and not adding any top 6 veterans.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
In the past ten years, you can count the number of great players this team has acquired without drafting them on a single hand. Perron, Maroon, Sekera, Talbot (for a year).... ...That's all I got.

I guess you could say Adam Larsson but then again...

I really think this team should find a way to pry Gibson out of Anaheim, I realize the topic is wingers, but we still need a goalie for next year.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm not so sure that Holloway won't be ready to be a top 6 option, I just don't want the team banking on it and not adding any top 6 veterans.

Agree that the team needs to act as if Holloway won't be there and add veteran forward support. If, by some miracle, Holloway is actually ready, he is on an ELC so will be inconsequential on the cap. So you don't really need to plan for him, cap wise.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Anyone hear anything on that rumor about Getzlaf coming here last season. Is that still a thing or no?

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I'd be fine with him in the Spezza role but not as a top 6 add at this point.
Yea, I don't think he's got the legs to play top 6 anymore.

He's UFA so maybe he can fit somewhere in the bottom 6 on a cheap contract. Would be nice to have some older vets on the team with his experience.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Good thread - not only will it highlight some players of interest but also how difficult it is to acquire them (we're low on trade assets that bring in the big guys).
Anytime I watch San Jose, I'm always impressed by Kevin Labanc (rw/lw). Good skills, good intensity and thinks the game.
And speaking of Vegas, Tuch is a winger that could fit with either McD or Drai. Strong on the puck, good speed and knows where the net is.
Reinhart is a center that I think could help us - can move between 2nd and 3rd easily.
I'd make our 1st round pick, other picks, Caleb Jones, Broberg, Klefbom and Yamo available for starters.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I was referring more in the long term. McDavid just came off a 105 point season. Drai was the 2nd leading scorer by a wide margin.

I believe the help McDavid and Draisatl need is in the bottom 6 not the top 6. It’s there where we lose games. That and Koskinen.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
it's not enough to just acquire a guy or two, should fill the entire roster with players who excel at playoff hockey. And tweak the system to one that doesn't depend so much on open ice.

ehhteen

5-14-6-1
Jan 15, 2010
Connor's Place
Lawson Crouse, Nick Ritchie, Patrick Maroon, Zach Hyman, Sam Bennett types. Holloway in the future will be the heartbeat of this team in all situations.

Reactions: iCanada

Oil53

Jun 4, 2018
Cirelli and Point might be able to be shaken loose with the right offer.Both are RFA after 3 and 2 yrs left with no NT or NM.Tampa needs to reduce by 18 mil so would something like 2 firsts,Yamamoto,McLeod or Marody,Jones or Bear,and Kesselring get it done?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If Klef is returning I’d Let Nuge walk sign Danault, Hoffman and Hyman, Driedger.

Hoffman McDavid Jesse
Hyman Draisaitl Yamo
Holloway Danault Archie
Kahun McLeod Kassian

Nurse Bear
Klefbom Larsson
Lagesson Bouchard

Smith
Driedger

If Klef isn’t returning sign a guy like Martinez.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah there is no way that he'd be worth that QO. So you look at him as a 2 year fix and possibly longer if he likes it here and signs for a more reasonable sum. I know someone here that's a Sharks fan and he says that Timo takes some really dumb penalties.

Dumb penalties would be just fine with this group, tbh.

Refs always even up PPs and we have the best PP in the league and an elite pk.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The player 'type' this team is missing is a high skill sniping winger with speed like Kyle Connor.

No cost acquisition UFA shooter available is Mike Hoffman. I think the Oilers will be trading for at least one top six forward.

Need two maybe three top six forwards. Reset Yamamoto for a season to develop as a 3W energy guy who over time and experience grows his scoring consistency for top six. Forward group needs to get bigger, more skill and shoot first instincts. Holland's done reasonable work with little money to crack fill roster depth issues now with cap money opening up there needs to be bigger, more substantive quality upgrading now (and I think there will).

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The player 'type' this team is missing is a high skill sniping winger with speed like Kyle Connor.

No cost acquisition UFA shooter available is Mike Hoffman. I think the Oilers will be trading for at least one top six forward.

Need two maybe three top six forwards. Reset Yamamoto for a season to develop as a 3W energy guy who over time and experience grows his scoring consistency for top six. Forward group needs to get bigger, more skill and shoot first instincts.

No. We need size, possession and truculence. Solid 2 way guys who won their match-ups.

Guys like Saad, Landeskog, Hyman, Danaeult, Palmeri, Foligno, Coleman, Getzlaf, Bjugstad, Goodrow, Sutter, etc.

Reactions: ujju2

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I was referring more in the long term. McDavid just came off a 105 point season. Drai was the 2nd leading scorer by a wide margin.

I believe the help McDavid and Draisatl need is in the bottom 6 not the top 6. It’s there where we lose games. That and Koskinen.

We need to get those guys help in the top6 too.

Need guys to make space, win pucks, and drive the nets. Straight line guys that can do the heavy lifting in the D-zone. Guys who can play PK so Draisaitl doesn't have to.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Need guys to make space, win pucks, and drive the nets. Straight line guys that can do the heavy lifting in the D-zone. Guys who can play PK so Draisaitl doesn't have to.

Respectfully disagree. You don’t need more players to dig pucks out as PJ & Yamo are highly effective at that already. Or do you want players like Lucic back? Or Kassian back on the top line?

Last I checked McDavid finished so far ahead of the league he’s in a different time zone. Draisaitl was a very comfortable 2nd in points.

Drai doesn’t kill penalties as a first 4 forward option. He hasn’t for 2 years unless it’s a 5 on 3 or he’s out for a critical face off and he gets off as soon as the zone is cleared. Draisaitl is reserved for the post power play shift with McDavid and PJ.

You’ll give the 2 big boys far more help by getting stronger 3rd and 4th lines.

Far far more help that way. The team will play with the lead more often and the Oilers are usually lethal when playing with the lead.

Your spreading out the scoring options as well therefore the checking options by strengthening the bottom 6. Look at how hard it is to contain Tampa and Vegas. They are strong on all lines.

Or if you want to go the Boston Colorado route you load up 29 97 13 into your power line and strengthen your bottom 9.

With a stronger bottom 6 or 9 it helps 97 and 29 way beyond getting them a Maroon Lucic or Kassian.

We’ve a much stronger D. Now the problem is strengthen the bottom 6 or 9.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Cirelli and Point might be able to be shaken loose with the right offer.Both are RFA after 3 and 2 yrs left with no NT or NM.Tampa needs to reduce by 18 mil so would something like 2 firsts,Yamamoto,McLeod or Marody,Jones or Bear,and Kesselring get it done?
NO need to buy drugs ...just listen to few ideas here....mind bending.
Kevin Labanc does have the brain and the wheels and can pass fairly well....not great defensively and is somewhat inconsistent but might work for a couple of years ...he is one of the two styles of players that we know can work with McDavid....not an ideal choice..... is slightly overpaid for what he brings....
What do you think San Jose would want for him...likely futures but how much?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
No. We need size, possession and truculence. Solid 2 way guys who won their match-ups.

Guys like Saad, Landeskog, Hyman, Danaeult, Palmeri, Foligno, Coleman, Getzlaf, Bjugstad, Goodrow, Sutter, etc.

I'll meet halfway and say both. This team needs to shift from smaller, finesse group into a bigger group that includes at least one shoot first option. In my mind that's a guy like Kyle Conner who can skate and finish with decent size. I'm less on the truculence piece unless you're talking playing hard and in tough areas, in which case I would agree. The Oilers in a must win game three opt to play Draisaitl the sniping winger over the big 2C which reinforces this team's lack of legitimate top six goal scoring options.

Reactions: ujju2

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Oil PK is top ten the last couple of years. Draisaitl has been a secondary component to it - primarily for key situational support like 5 on 3 and for face-offs in them.

The Oilers d-zone play has been lights out better overall with all players buying in to systems, playing dedicated, committed and hard. With the personnel they have, the d-zone play has been great and holding in during this coin flip two playoff game sample. The top six depth and scoring options when McDavid and winger Draisaitl are shut down is not there. The Oil are sending out second line constant Nugent Hopkins tonight with an eleven game NHLer and a power forward whose been slumbering for two years. Draisaitl wasn't killing it with Yamamoto and Kahun throughout the year when played together. We shouldn't be surprised when Nugent Hopkins and rotating, auditioning second liners don't move the needle.

Quality top six forward talent has been an issue forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad