Hershey (AHL) and Reading (ECHL) 2013-14 Season

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey lost last night 5-3. They now have to win tomorrow night to get into the playoffs. The Bears took a 2-1 lead in the first and gave up 2 straight goals to end the period down 3-2. Grubauer was in net and it sounded like he had a decent game. Chandler Stephenson played his first game as a Bear and scored in the first period on his first shot. Latta and Deschamps had the other two goals.

Burakovsky95*

Hershey lost last night 5-3. They now have to win tomorrow night to get into the playoffs. The Bears took a 2-1 lead in the first and gave up 2 straight goals to end the period down 3-2. Grubauer was in net and it sounded like he had a decent game. Chandler Stephenson played his first game as a Bear and scored in the first period on his first shot. Latta and Deschamps had the other two goals.

Are things looking bleak?

fsnoles98

Mar 16, 2009
It is called the trickle down affect. I feel bad for the bears, but the should've had a few send down from the Caps. Organization (caps) needs to get better!

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Central PA / Central Florida
Hopefully with both the Bears and Caps out of the playoffs, Ted will make the changes needed to get both teams back on track. At least we still have a team to root for with Reading still in it.

I am in the suite adjacent to the Hershey suite for tomorrows game, I'll be keeping an eye on Doug Yingst and his guests for sure. Should be interesting.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Should be some better prospects down at Hershey next season with Chandler/Caleb and potentially Burakovsky.

How was Walker's season down there as a whole?

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Should be some better prospects down at Hershey next season with Chandler/Caleb and potentially Burakovsky.

How was Walker's season down there as a whole?

I love the kid. Undersized, but plays with a chip on his shoulder. He has got wheels and a knack for stripping the puck in the neutral zone and taking it home. I would love to see him and Galiev on a line together...scary fast. Hope they both get more AHL time next year.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I love the kid. Undersized, but plays with a chip on his shoulder. He has got wheels and a knack for stripping the puck in the neutral zone and taking it home. I would love to see him and Galiev on a line together...scary fast. Hope they both get more AHL time next year.

Walker isn't our property. He's eligible to enter the draft again this time around. If he doesn't get drafted, maybe the Caps give him an ELC

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Well sadly the Bears season will come to a close tonight against the Phantoms. With both teams out of the playoffs I expect a few good scraps as guys will be playing for new jobs for next season. I'm interested to see this Gostisbehere kid for the Phantoms. He's an intriguing prospect for the Flyers and could make their team next season.

As for the Bears, this is a dark day for the organization. It's going to be a weird feeling not being able to head to Giant Center to watch the Playoffs. I am hoping there is a good roster turnover for next season and fresh meat are brought in. Here's who I think should stay and go in my opinion.

Obvious Caps Prospects

These are the guys who could be here depending on training camps, trades, etc.

Latta
Wilson
Kundratek
Schmidt
Schilling
Grubauer
Brown
Stephenson
Herbet
Burakovsky
Mitchell
Wey
Galiev
Oleksy
Wellman

Keepers

Not much that I would keep in terms of vets and AHL deal players

Byers
Leggio
Strachan (Unless there's a clear upgrade available)
Gazley
Walker (if he can be added to the organization)
Cajkovsky (good year in the ECHL, wanna see what he can do in the AHL)
Rechlicz (good locker room guy, hope people will actually fight him)

Cya
Taffe
Potulny
Genoway
Kolomatis
Wellar
Segal
Stoa
Brouillette
Leblanc
Watkins
Deschamps
Newbury

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Was at the game last night, Theissen had some insane saves on obvious scoring oppurtunities, also Etem was undressing the hershey defense last night left and right but he would get past his dman and manage to lose the puck into the corner.

Steckel just destroyed hershey in faceoffs last night, and his gwg was simply out of hard work

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Was at the game last night, Theissen had some insane saves on obvious scoring oppurtunities, also Etem was undressing the hershey defense last night left and right but he would get past his dman and manage to lose the puck into the corner.

Steckel just destroyed hershey in faceoffs last night, and his gwg was simply out of hard work

Would Steckel look good back on the Caps? I haven't seen him in such a long while. I know skating was always an issue but top face off guy and big.

Michal Cajkovsky looking forward to seeing more of him next year.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Would Steckel look good back on the Caps? I haven't seen him in such a long while. I know skating was always an issue but top face off guy and big.

Michal Cajkovsky looking forward to seeing more of him next year.

I mean he is in the AHL and has been all season, ANA has Perrault up playing center instead of Steckel. He didn't seem all that quick, but wasn't slow either. I only saw him lose one faceoff all night and his goal was a really gritty pick up off a Grubauer rebound that he then elevated over the pad.

Couldn't hurt to have him as a 4th line center and take draws, but his speed probably wouldn't fit in with an energy role line.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bears finish the season on a 2-1 win against the Phantoms. Rechlicz (yeah you read that right) and Taffe with the goals. Pretty boring game action wise.

Reading won 4-2 to tie up the series at 1. Hopefully they repeat and bring some sort of Championship to the organization

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Affiliation Agreement?

People around the Bears organization that usually have good info (and willing to share) have been silent on the issue of affiliation. I see the last one year extension was announced on 4/14/13 http://www.hersheybears.com/news/detail.php?id=4103 so we are not too much beyond that this year. Wondering if this will be wrapped up into the Monday announcement?

I know that Bears staff and management have been grumbling about the affiliation lately (last two years), but I don't see a better option. They have really grown accustomed to the proximity of Washington and Reading for ease of player movement (when GMGM can be bothered to paper down players when needed). The lack of communication and coordination with Washington, Oates in particular, frustrates Hershey to no end.

This should be interesting to watch in any case. Some people are clamoring for Anaheim because of the very good relationship with Bruce Boudreau and his recent visits to Hershey (he still has a home here), but I think that is short sighted. Not only would the distance be an issue, but Anaheim was not well thought of when they were with Syracuse. Maybe things have changed with Bruce, but that spat with Howard Dolgon makes me nervous. I am betting on "the devil we know" for another year. I can only hope the devil we know is the Caps without Oates and GMGM. With a front office change, I may just be able to bring my Caps gear into rotation again without feeling like I have to vomit.

I am hoping Bob Hartley ends up in Washington. His position with the Flames is still up in the air and I think he would be a great fit for the Caps. He has a proven track record in managing superstars and I think he could get the Ovi situation under control. His close ties to Hershey (team and community) will be a huge + for us on the AHL side, but not of primary concern to the org as a whole.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Last year announced mid-April; year before announced in May.

I am in wait and see mode, but if the western teams are serious about trying to start something up a year from now (2015-16 season) then I think it increases the chances of a 1 year extension between Hershey and Washington. Only so many options for this season. Also, Hershey has unique needs/wants and not every NHL org. will offer to meet those needs/wants.

I have written this elsewhere, but I have to think Yingst is waiting to see what happens in the next week or two with Washington and a recent comment in a Leone piece made it sound like we could know something next week or soon after.

See this thread in the affiliation AHL section for updates on affiliations.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1005221

plus info on Phoenix/Portland

http://mainehockeyjournal.com/?p=20800

plus info. on western expansion speculation:

http://mayorsmanor.com/2014/04/major-news-kings-preparing-to-move-top-prospects-to-socal/

Lefty9420

Mar 12, 2012
It will be interesting to say the least. I'm hoping they get the Caps deal done soon, and hoping even more that Havi gets the boot.

Last edited:

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Don't see any official news yet, but friends inside the org tell me Mike Haviland is out. He took a job with Colorado College. Really bummed about this as I saw him as one bright point of the team this year.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Mark Morris is out in Manchester. Manchester -> Hershey worked pretty well last time.

Ideally you'd like to see the next GM make the call but Yingst can maybe handle it and Morris has a solid track record.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Don't see any official news yet, but friends inside the org tell me Mike Haviland is out. He took a job with Colorado College. Really bummed about this as I saw him as one bright point of the team this year.

Just saw this. As a CC alum, I am very excited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad