Hershey (AHL) and Reading (ECHL) 2013-14 Season

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'm pretty bummed about this. Hershey has been fairly quiet recently. Maybe the press conference today will also feature an affiliation agreement?

Let the head coaching search continue again. Dark Horse candidate: Troy Mann. Completely turned around a bad Bakersfield team and took them into the second round of the playoffs so far. Here's an interesting read on him from Bears writer Tim Leone

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Central PA / Central Florida
Let the head coaching search continue again. Dark Horse candidate: Troy Mann. Completely turned around a bad Bakersfield team and took them into the second round of the playoffs so far. Here's an interesting read on him from Bears writer Tim Leone

From what I understand the affiliation agreement is a done deal with Washington, announcement later in the month.

Troy Mann and Mike Stothers are the top two names I'm hearing.

Lefty9420

Mar 12, 2012
Don't see any official news yet, but friends inside the org tell me Mike Haviland is out. He took a job with Colorado College. Really bummed about this as I saw him as one bright point of the team this year.

Really the lone bright spot? Did we watch the same games? Bears won inspite of him, not because of him. He was brutal and from what I hear the players absolutely hated him and basically tuned him out.

My opinion and just my opinion, but based on the way this went down, I assume it was leave or you will be asked to leave situation. Nothing to back this up but the fact that he jumped at a college gig, means he probably wasn't getting many sniffs in the pro ranks. If your dream/goal is an NHL gig, you don't walk away from the best AHL job a launching pad to the NHL for a college gig.

My top candidate (outside the box) is Eric Velliux (sp?). He is a great young coach with ties to Hershey and a Calder Cup. I also wouldn't overlook Larry Courville.....although I absolutely don't think he is a good fit, I have a feeling he will be in the mix.

Last edited:

Lefty9420

Mar 12, 2012
From what I understand the affiliation agreement is a done deal with Washington, announcement later in the month.

Troy Mann and Mike Stothers are the top two names I'm hearing.

On the fence about Mann but wouldn't be totally upset (at least our special teams would be a huge upgrade, not that it would take much from this year). My only question is, what is different this year as opposed to last year? Just curious, I didn't follow real close last year. Was it that they wanted Havi all along and wanted a break from the French/Mann era or did they want Troy to get more HC experience? Just curious why he is in the mix this year and wasn't even really considered last year.

Last edited:

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Really the lone bright spot? Did we watch the same games? Bears won inspite of him, not because of him. He was brutal and from what I hear the players absolutely hated him and basically tuned him out.

My opinion and just my opinion, but based on the way this went down, I assume it was leave or you will be asked to leave situation. Nothing to back this up but the fact that he jumped at a college gig, means he probably wasn't getting many sniffs in the pro ranks. If your dream/goal is an NHL gig, you don't walk away from the best AHL job a launching pad to the NHL for a college gig.

You are absolutely correct about the players; they hated him. You were also correct that he was to be fired if he didn't move on. I talked to someone this morning that is in a direct position to know and unloaded now that Havi is gone. Apparently the locker room was worse than I suspected. I am still in disbelief at how far it got.

That said, I was glad to see some accountability out of the organization. In that respect he was a breath of fresh air coming from French. I really hoped he would bring the team together with his hard attitude, but it didn't work out. Keep in mind, Uncle Bob (Coach Hartley) is a good friend. He had a similiar style and some of his players thought the same of him but it worked out and most ended up respecting him. I had hoped Havi would be of the same mold. Then again, I seem to get along well with jackasses. Birds of a feather i suppose ;-)

Last edited:

capswon

May 7, 2012
Haviland was abysimal, good luck C.C. you are going to need it. If his style of coaching was tuned out by professionals, what are college kids going to do? Last time Paul Gerrard was in the running but had no head coaching exp. This time look for him to be top of the table, as well as Courville. If Stothers is in the mix I would like to see Don Nachbaur in the conversation as well. Doing a fantastic job in the WHL and he also worked wonders at Owen Sound. And lets throw in John McClean. I know he didn't do anything at the NHL level with Devils but he was given a bad hand. Let him get his feet wet here and move on. Vellieux (sp) wouldn't think he would leave his gig in the Q but you never know. Lots of very good coaches out there with past Hershey ties.

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
On the fence about Mann but wouldn't be totally upset (at least our special teams would be a huge upgrade, not that it would take much from this year). My only question is, what is different this year as opposed to last year? Just curious, I didn't follow real close last year. Was it that they wanted Havi all along and wanted a break from the French/Mann era or did they want Troy to get more HC experience? Just curious why he is in the mix this year and wasn't even really considered last year.

I agree with Mann and the special teams. Those are my thoughts exactly. As far as why they brought Havi in over Mann I can only guess. I suppose they just wanted a fresh start with a new team due to the slippage under the Mann/French reign. Again, only my guess.

Lefty9420

Mar 12, 2012
You are absolutely correct about the players; they hated him. You were also correct that he was to be fired if he didn't move on. I talked to someone this morning that is in a direct position to know and unloaded now that Havi is gone. Apparently the locker room was worse than I suspected. I am still in disbelief at how far it got.

That said, I was glad to see some accountability out of the organization. In that respect he was a breath of fresh air coming from French. I really hoped he would bring the team together with his hard attitude, but it didn't work out. Keep in mind, Uncle Bob (Coach Hartley) is a good friend. He had a similiar style and some of his players thought the same of him but it worked out and most ended up respecting him. I had hoped Havi would be of the same mold. Then again, I seem to get along well with jackasses. Birds of a feather i suppose ;-)

Regarding the room, I heard many of those rumors too. The one that stuck out was apparently one vet told him flat out to F off.

As for Coach Bob (who I don't know personally but absolutely love....it's the diehard Avs fan in me). The harda$$ style can work if you know what your doing and how to use it. Bob yelled and pushed his guys, but there was always a reason/purpose and the guys understood what he was trying to do. I kind of got the sense that Havi didn't really know what he was doing or trying to accomplish so he just yelled a lot and made a scene to make it look like he did. I also think a large part of Havi's failure was his horrible choice of assistant coach. In the AHL you don't have video coaches, 3 assistants, hockey ops people like you do in the NHL. It's you and your assistant. You have to have that person who you can lean on. Bruce had Woodsy, Woodsy had French and French had Mann. Those guys were top notch AC. Havi had Mongeneau, who was absolutely clueless.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
I think it's hysterical that people are planting all the Bears troubles on Haviland. He made some decisions I wondered about, but he was being force-fed a system he didn't believe in (and, judging by the results up top, didn't work on either level), and he was working with circumstances that would've challenged anyone.

Dane Byers talked about the situation at season's start, when people had trouble running their roles. Fact was, the Bears had 30 players on the roster at the start of the season - that's an insane total, and that falls on Yingst and the Caps.

Also remember, the Bears lost Garrett Mitchell and Kundratek to injuries early on, and that hurt their chances as well. I don't count losing Orlov to Washington; callus are part of the deal in the AHL. We likely would've had Mitch & Kundo more or less all season, and that would have to have made a difference.

Major point - the players simply didn't get it done. Look at the Bears roster, and you see a team that should've been battling for home ice in Round 1, not begging for 8th place. This team underachieved, and as much as Haviland has to look in the mirror for what happened, the players and upper management are at least, if not more accountable.

Don't look for a new Bears coach until everyone's in place in DC. They'll likely want to hire someone who fits their philosophy (and that in itself will be an interesting discussion between the Caps & Bears management).

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I imagine this means there's a GM announcement coming for the Caps, since Hershey didn't want to renew until that was settled. Glad to see the affiliation renewed too. Hershey is one of the best hockey towns in the A.

SlappaDaBass

May 7, 2012
I imagine this means there's a GM announcement coming for the Caps, since Hershey didn't want to renew until that was settled. Glad to see the affiliation renewed too. Hershey is one of the best hockey towns in the A.

There would be a leak or a presser scheduled if we had the GM locked up or even in talks. I still have a feeling we're weeks off from a GM at this point.

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Looks like the Reading Royals jumped ship to the Flyers. Not happy as they were the only team in our org with any recent culture of winning. Look for news of our new ECHL affiliate.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Looks like the Reading Royals jumped ship to the Flyers. Not happy as they were the only team in our org with any recent culture of winning. Look for news of our new ECHL affiliate.

Ugh. Was hoping for a split affiliation after the Phiadelphia rumors came around.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Ft. Wayne Komets need an affiliate...

No ECHL affiliation, dual affiliation or stand-alone, there are options; three's also the new Indy franchise and I don't think they have announced an affiliation to date.

(OT: Las Vegas not playing next season)

http://echl.com/nhl-ahl-affiliations-s12375

edit/update: Was directed to info. that Indy has affiliated with Chicago Blackhawks.

http://www.wthr.com/story/25132940/2014/04/01/indy-fuel-reaches-affiliate-agreement-with-blackhawks

Last edited:

Lefty9420

Mar 12, 2012
I was jumped on a few times in this forum for saying that the Caps have not treated Hershey well in recent years; it appears as if Ted agrees:

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/05/washington_capitals_owner_make.html

This is the most positive thing I have read in a long time. Hopefully both AHL and NHL clubs can get things moving again.

I agree 100%. A lot of these changes remind me of what the Avalanche did last summer. Owner makes a renewed commitment to the team and the fans and cleans house.

My only concern is that the new GM of the Caps was THE GUY who as an assistant GM was in charge of the relationship with the Bears and player development. McClelland clearly dropped the ball on this one the last few years. I know the new assistant GM will now be in charge of those things, but McClelland will still be the man in charge. I really hope that Ted has given marching orders to fix the mess in Hershey (sounds like he has). Also I do think that Trotz has a much better appreciation and grasp for the AHL and how the affiliation needs to work to be successful, than Oates did. That should help.

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
I agree 100%. A lot of these changes remind me of what the Avalanche did last summer. Owner makes a renewed commitment to the team and the fans and cleans house.

My only concern is that the new GM of the Caps was THE GUY who as an assistant GM was in charge of the relationship with the Bears and player development. McClelland clearly dropped the ball on this one the last few years. I know the new assistant GM will now be in charge of those things, but McClelland will still be the man in charge. I really hope that Ted has given marching orders to fix the mess in Hershey (sounds like he has). Also I do think that Trotz has a much better appreciation and grasp for the AHL and how the affiliation needs to work to be successful, than Oates did. That should help.

It sounded from that article that GMGM and Yingst had a good relationship, but Oates didn't want to deal with hershey in any way. Probably because his stint there during the lockout was less than stellar. In any case, with AOates out and BT in I think they go back to working closely with the coaching staff in Hershey as well.

Lefty9420

Mar 12, 2012
Has anyone heard anything on the coaching front? I was hoping once the caps got squared away we would have heard something by now, at least some rumblings. I haven't heard anything from anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad