Hershey (AHL) and Reading (ECHL) 2013-14 Season

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Leone mentioned the other day that the Bears should be announcing a head coach before the start of Caps development camp at the end of the month. I have no inside information, but I have a feeling the nod goes to Mark Morris. Can't let a guy with that much head coaching experience in the AHL slip through your fingers to hire a lesser option with ties to the Bears

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Leone mentioned the other day that the Bears should be announcing a head coach before the start of Caps development camp at the end of the month. I have no inside information, but I have a feeling the nod goes to Mark Morris. Can't let a guy with that much head coaching experience in the AHL slip through your fingers to hire a lesser option with ties to the Bears

Any idea what kind of system Morris used in Manchester? Same as the Kings? Considering the new spirit of Bears/Capitals system symmetry (to a point I'm sure) figure that is factor.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Bears sign Garrett Haar.

Been waiting for a head coach announcement to start a 14-15 thread.

As to Haar, thought this might happen if the player was willing to sign a minor league contract at this time. Haar's WHL eligibility is used up, he just played his overage season. Based on my reading of the CBA, Caps retain his rights until June 1, 2015 if they want to keep him on the reserve list and it looks like that is the case, a year to play in the minors and try to earn an ELC.

Will be interesting to see if he earns AHL playing time given the D one expects will be in Hershey.

Suggested this might happen or tried to when topic of his WHL eligibility came up during the spring, similar to the Seabrook situation a few years ago when I thought that's what they wanted Seabrook to do, but which ended differently with a trade for a low draft pick and Calgary giving Seabrook an ELC.

Also, Bears made the Gazley signing official yesterday (reported to be under contract by Tim Leone in his end of year updates.) So Byers, Gazley and Haar are the three known AHL contracts to date.

Lefty9420

Mar 12, 2012

Saw that. It's about time. Although I don't know why I am so impatient. I am most likely just going to be disappointed with who they hire. After the Mike Haviland experiment ended and the Caps cleaned house, I was optimistic that we would be headed in a new direction. Then the Craps promote GMGM right hand man, the one who was directly in charge of the Bears/Craps affiliation and got us into this mess. After that I realized that it's business as usual and nothing will change. Instead of getting someone new like Eric Vielluix or someone who is hungry and willing to do what it takes like Troy Mann, we are going to get the same old recycled pro coach who has been around for ever....hey I hear John Paddock is back in the unemployment line.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'd rather take Reading from a logistics standpoint. Makes a ton of sense for Hershey. Also, closer to me, which should be the determining factor in all moves.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
New assistant coaches Lambert and Reirden are both guys who built strong relationships with their affiliates in their past positions, from what I'm reading. Combine that with Trotz not liking to rush prospects and it sounds like Hershey is going to have some players. They'll likely have Burakovsky all season, possibly Wilson, Barber toward the end of the season, plus all of the defensemen and Grubauer.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm definitely making it to Hershey next season, especially if Burakovski is playing there. I used to play in the Hershey Thanksgiving Tournament and have pulled for the Bears since then, even before their affiliation with the Caps. Love the arena and the atmosphere.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'm definitely making it to Hershey next season, especially if Burakovski is playing there. I used to play in the Hershey Thanksgiving Tournament and have pulled for the Bears since then, even before their affiliation with the Caps. Love the arena and the atmosphere.

I usually go with the wife around Christmas. I bribe her with the Hotel Hershey brunch buffet.

I've got a friend that just moved to Charleston, so I may have to make that trip again this year. Low country cuisine + hockey = win.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I usually go with the wife around Christmas. I bribe her with the Hotel Hershey brunch buffet.

I've got a friend that just moved to Charleston, so I may have to make that trip again this year. Low country cuisine + hockey = win.

Charleston is one my top 5 favorite places that I've been to in the US. Beautiful. My wife and I are already talking about possibly retiring there (I'm 28). I have friends who go in and out of Charleston with the Navy's nuclear power training pipeline so maybe I'll visit one of them and catch a game.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I’m happy about the SC news :) Obviously, not as ideal proximity-wise for fans and more importantly for player movement to/from Hershey, but the organizations have a history and SC has been a good ECHL situation for players.

Plus Andrew Miller (like Jason Guarente) is a good beat writer and some of the Stingrays staff are still there.

As to Charleston and going to games, fun time, and yes, nothing wrong with an excuse to visit Charleston.

South Division for ’14-15 season: Florida Everblades, Greenville Road Warriors, Gwinnett Gladiators, Orlando Solar Bears, South Carolina Stingrays

Also, of note, two games at Reading in December, 12/6&7, are on a weekend. Stingrays schedule

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Gary Lawless just tweeted what I presume to be a hint for the Bears HC. His tweet read: "Former #nhljets coach Claude Noel might be a fit as head coach of the Hershey Bears"

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Gary Lawless just tweeted what I presume to be a hint for the Bears HC. His tweet read: "Former #nhljets coach Claude Noel might be a fit as head coach of the Hershey Bears"

Funny, heard his name for awhile because of the Hershey connections and experience as an AHL head coach in Nashville org. and the Trotz connection, then it got quiet; did a search for him last few days on twitter to see if there was any chatter, nada, now this. Obviously Lawless cover Noel with Winnipeg, but curious if this is anything more than throwing out his name at this point. I expect Yingst already interviewed him or plans to interview Noel this weekend.

Also, regarding SC, Copley played a handful of games there at the end of last season; nice for the goalie prospect to already have some familiarity with the organization, as he's the most obvious beginning of season candidate for assignment to the ECHL affiliate.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Funny, heard his name for awhile because of the Hershey connections and experience as an AHL head coach in Nashville org. and the Trotz connection, then it got quiet; did a search for him last few days on twitter to see if there was any chatter, nada, now this. Obviously Lawless cover Noel with Winnipeg, but curious if this is anything more than throwing out his name at this point. I expect Yingst already interviewed him or plans to interview Noel this weekend.

Also, regarding SC, Copley played a handful of games there at the end of last season; nice for the goalie prospect to already have some familiarity with the organization, as he's the most obvious beginning of season candidate for assignment to the ECHL affiliate.

Yeah and the same goes for Mark Morris. After the Leone article, his name went quiet. Same could be said for Troy Mann.

On a side note, I did see a tweet about Granato possibly being a HC in the AHL with Manchester and eventually working his way up to LA. Wonder if Hershey would be interested in reaching out to him?

Sparkz

Jun 30, 2014
Decided to finally post this hoping a decision finally happens.

From Pennlive May 9th:

“In the wake of Mike Haviland's departure to become head coach at Colorado College, these nine coaches loom as possible candidates to land the head coaching job of the Hershey Bears. Larry Courville, Kevin Dineen, Paul Jerrod, Troy Mann, Mark Morris, Ryan Mougenel, Claude Noel, Mike Strothers, and Eric Veilleuxâ€

From Pennlive May 13th:

“Yingst said he has already received more than 60 applications for Hershey's head coaching job.â€

From Pennlive May 19th relative to Mark Morris as coach candidate:

“The 56-year-old would be happy to follow Boudreau's footsteps in Hershey, which is in the market for a head coach in the wake of Mike Haviland's departure for Colorado College.â€

From Pennlive May 26th:

From the author - “filling the vacant Hershey Bears' head coaching position should be next on the NHL team's organizational "to do" list.â€

Also from May 26th:

"It's our hope we can move more aggressively now in the process of hiring a new Bears coach," Yingst said. "However, there are other coaches who have expressed interest in being the next head coach of the Hershey Bears that can't interview yet because their teams are still playing for league championships."

From Pennlive May 27th:

“some of our development had gone sideways over the last couple of years and we needed to make a big re-commitment to our affiliate in Hershey," Leonsis said at Verizon Center. "I think that was news to us, how we needed to re-bond and make a recommitment to Hershey.â€

From June 17th relative to Troy Mann as coach candidate:

"I've expressed interest [in Hershey]," Mann said. "They know that there's an interest level there."

From Pennlive June 26th:

“We will finalize all our interview processes this week," Yingst said. "And, hopefully, if everything goes according to plan, we'll arrive at a decision by Saturday."

So let’s put this together. Coach quits May 9th. At that point, 9 main candidates. Within a few days Yingst has 60 applicants. Mark Morris wants the job. A month ago, getting a new coach was next on “to do†list. The next day, Washington Caps owner Ted Leonsis acknowledges the relationship with Hershey was neglected. Troy Mann is interested. Last week, Yingst claimed the spot filled by Saturday.

Some read-between-the-lines questions as to the 7 week process. Of the 9 candidates mentioned, some had deservedly applied for the position in the past. Are they not being considered now? What’s the hold up then? If the 60 candidates were so great 5-6 weeks ago, why no decision? If candidates could not be interviewed because of playoffs, why no decision since the playoffs ended? If the Washington owner would make a statement about trying to fix the relationship with Bears, why not help this along? Saturday has passed, less than one week to development camp, what’s the hold up now?

Is someone blowing smoke? Is anyone not? Was the "recommittment to Hershey" simply lip service? Yes, it's been busy with GM and coach hirings, assistant coaches, playoffs, and even the draft but why has this taken such a back seat? As a fan, are my expectations too high to have a coach named to start rallying behind?

Sorry for the vent. I don't know that there were any better choices than Washington as an affliate but Leonsis's remark was just stating the obvious. Not having a coach by now seems to validate where the relationship was and makes it harder to feel comfortable it's headed the right direction. I'm sure this will get shredded but if anyone has anything of substance, please share.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad