Player Discussion: Heinola Thread

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Don't think the pp is a personnel issue and he'd never play over Morrissey. The teams defense has been fantastic this year from top to bottom. Sucks for him but he can top pair the Moose.

Reactions: TS Quint

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He also had good luck to start the year only getting consideration bc of injury ahead of him

Was it only the injuries that had Heinola receiving consideration? He had a very strong camp and preseason, and Schmidt had a slow start, including a few benchings, after his injury before settling in. Bowness and Co. seemed pretty stoked for Heinola's chances to make the roster and stick if he kept up that preseason play.

I'd say he made his own luck this year, before the injury. Hopefully he keeps it up and gives the Jets some useful injury cover and maybe even a PP boost once the expanded roster opens things up a bit.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Was it only the injuries that had Heinola receiving consideration? He had a very strong camp and preseason, and Schmidt had a slow start, including a few benchings, after his injury before settling in. Bowness and Co. seemed pretty stoked for Heinola's chances to make the roster and stick if he kept up that preseason play.

I'd say he made his own luck this year, before the injury. Hopefully he keeps it up and gives the Jets some useful injury cover and maybe even a PP boost once the expanded roster opens things up a bit.
The opportunity arose in camp for him to get an extended look was bc of an injury to similarly styled dman. He was set to play every preseason game and showcase, an opportunity that came about bc of injury luck.

Injuries arose, as Dillon foretold, including to Chisholm and fellow contender Kyle Capobianco, while NHL mainstay Nate Schmidt is still nursing a knock of his own.

With those guys getting triaged, opportunities began opening up.

Heinola, drafted 20th overall in 2019, got his foot in the door and never let it shut.

And yeah he may be the press box guy. Idk how much boost he'll provide to the powerplay though. He likely will not play ahead of Morrissey on PP1 so getting scraps on PP2 amounts to how much? Also the Jets defense has been fantastic this year, with each of the pairings playing really well.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

hopefully he gets a chance now. I mean I know you dont mess with a winning line up, but, we havent been winning.

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
hopefully he gets a chance now. I mean I know you dont mess with a winning line up, but, we havent been winning.
With the team running out of steam lately it’s starting to look a little bit like last year. A trade or a change bringing ville into the lineup might be just what we need right now

Reactions: kanadalainen

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

I need to see more than just a strong pre season. Good AHL players should be good against AHL players. Waaay too much weight gets put into the preseason around here. People get excited over players like Toninato and Essymont for god‘s sake.

Heinola needs to show he can play defense at a NHL level. Up to this point it’s almost like being short handed when the other team has it in our end with Heinola on the ice. He’s too tentative and seemingly afraid of contact. All he seems to do is stand between the net and the man with the puck giving way too much space. He needs to show he can put pressure on the man with the puck and cause some turnover or teams are just going to keep putting it to his corner and rag him.

Id love for him to show he has improved. But the defense has been good and I’m not interested in the team’s focus being to develop Heinola in the NHL when the Jets are competing for 1st overall. Either he is one of the 6 best defensemen the Jets have or he isn’t.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

To me it is starting to feel a little off with Heinola. He has been back with the Moose for close to a month (12 games), and the party line is he is still not up to speed. Either the team doesn't see it as worth it to bring him up and risk a player to waivers, or there is something unknown to us holding him back, or his play hasn't warranted a call up? Not sure what it is, but he is being big time slow played.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
To me it is starting to feel a little off with Heinola. He has been back with the Moose for close to a month (12 games), and the party line is he is still not up to speed. Either the team doesn't see it as worth it to bring him up and risk a player to waivers, or there is something unknown to us holding him back, or his play hasn't warranted a call up? Not sure what it is, but he is being big time slow played.

I haven't watch any of the moose but if he's done plays like that more then once I can understand why he hasn't gotten the call

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Classic Heinola. Puck on the stick good, away from the puck he might as well just skate to the bench.

I don’t get the obsession with this guy. All I ever hear is his draft report being parroted. But those things have not translated to a 22 year old player.

Reactions: sipowicz

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Classic Heinola. Puck on the stick good, away from the puck he might as well just skate to the bench.

I don’t get the obsession with this guy. All I ever hear is his draft report being parroted. But those things have not translated to a 22 year old player.
Have you watched him for the Moose?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not going to read much into a single shift. Every player has awful shifts and lapses in effort.

From what I've seen his play has been largely positive for the Moose, but he still has a ways to go to get back to where he was at the beginning of the year.

Given the teams health on defense and lack of a roster spot we can afford him the time it takes to get back to that level. Bones isn't going to sit a vet unless forced so let him get minutes and play.

I mean it took longer then 12 games for Ehlers to get back up to speed to start the year and he only missed camp. Ville missed half a season so I can see it taking a while to really get his game back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad