Player Discussion: Heinola Thread

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
It's hard to express what a tragedy that injury was for Heinola. Boweness and Chevy were licking their lips at his play in camp, certainly he was going to be given a shot. It's a major setback, but hopefully with Youth on his side, he gets back on the ice in a couple months, gets a good recovery and will play in about 12 weeks.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
It's hard to express what a tragedy that injury was for Heinola. Boweness and Chevy were licking their lips at his play in camp, certainly he was going to be given a shot. It's a major setback, but hopefully with Youth on his side, he gets back on the ice in a couple months, gets a good recovery and will play in about 12 weeks.

Absolutely awful but I'd guess that Ville has earned plenty of goodwill with his prep and work in TC, and will be given some rope to work his way back into the lineup once healthy should there be a spot.

It seems to have presented as a "clean" injury, generally would expect few complications for an athlete of his age and conditioning so here's hoping.

But yeah, just brutal timing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Absolutely awful but I'd guess that Ville has earned plenty of goodwill with his prep and work in TC, and will be given some rope to work his way back into the lineup once healthy should there be a spot.

It seems to have presented as a "clean" injury, generally would expect few complications for an athlete of his age and conditioning so here's hoping.

But yeah, just brutal timing.

Add to the fact that Schmidt hasn't been great and there will be an opportunity afforded to him.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Does he play a week in th AHL?
My guess is he spends at least sometime in the AHL, especially as it doesn't even need to be labeled a conditioning stint since he is waiver exempt. Chevy also needs to move out a defenseman or risk losing 1 on waivers once Heinola is added to the Jets roster.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I know things are going well, and you don't want to rock the boat, but any update on Heinola (or Kupari for that matter)?

I feel like Heinola earned at least a shot with his play during training camp and it would suck to lose that to injury. I expect he might be getting close to a conditioning stint with the Moose?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I know things are going well, and you don't want to rock the boat, but any update on Heinola (or Kupari for that matter)?

I feel like Heinola earned at least a shot with his play during training camp and it would suck to lose that to injury. I expect he might be getting close to a conditioning stint with the Moose?
Heinola and Kupari are traveling with the team and practicing in regular jerseys.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Great news on both Heinola and Kupari. You would think a few conditioning games in the AHL would make sense (know player needs to agree).

Really gives the team the kind of problem you love to have. You're winning, guys are playing well (have to admit the 4th line with Toni is playing well, and Schmidt and Samberg are playing solid), and 2 guys you originally had planned to be in your lineup are coming back from injury.

Will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm not sure how you can mess with our pairings with how well we've been defending... at the start of the year Nate wasn't playing well but I can't member the last time he's been on the ice for a 5v5 goal against

Yeah I think you let Ville ride with the Moose and if someone gets hurt then you pluck him right up and into the lineup. Otherwise, no need to rush him in after a tough injury like that when he hasn't been a full time NHLer yet.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Great news on both Heinola and Kupari. You would think a few conditioning games in the AHL would make sense (know player needs to agree).

Really gives the team the kind of problem you love to have. You're winning, guys are playing well (have to admit the 4th line with Toni is playing well, and Schmidt and Samberg are playing solid), and 2 guys you originally had planned to be in your lineup are coming back from injury.

Will be interesting to see how they handle it.
Only Kupari has to agree, as Heinola is still waiver exempt and can be sent down as soon is he is cleared to play.

Reactions: WiscoJet

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
The size thing is an interesting argument because some players are not necessarily large in stature but exceptionally strong and durable.

I'd argue Pionk is more "physical" than Stanley in some ways, finishes his checks, ties guys up etc.
Others like Makar and Morrissey are medium size but exceptional skaters, very strong and have high hockey IQ.
Scott Stevens isn't even big by today's standards but he sure was physical. Hedman, massive but also high IQ and skilled.

Some of the hardest hitters have been small players, forward and Defence; Peca, Clark, Dallas Drake, tootoo, Mike Richards, Stevens, Mike Eagles, Igor Ulanov (couple Jets 1.0 in there for the kids) etc.

The real question is, with any player is, does he have that dawg in him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad