Player Discussion: Heinola Thread

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well I mean. Watching him play might offer a clue.

He's played what, 30 odd games in the NHL spread over 3-4 years... lots of prospects look pretty middling while they find their game in the NHL. So not much to judge him by imo

I think what he likely is for the team is a cap effective replacement for Schmidt on the bottom pairing and second unit pp. Thus freeing up resources to keep our core pieces.

Even if he never is a second pairing guy he can provide value to the team.

It's not Ville vs. Schmidt, it's Ville at 1 million vs. Nate at $5.9 million.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I mean it took longer then 12 games for Ehlers to get back up to speed to start the year and he only missed camp. Ville missed half a season so I can see it taking a while to really get his game back.
I'm not sure comparing the recovery window between Ehlers and Ville is really a consideration.
Ehlers is one of our best players and he wouldn't need a ton of time to get back to a level that would move him into the lineup.
Ville needs to get back to what is probably his highest play level ever which is where he was prior to the injury.

Bones may want the preinjury level of play before he's in - and Ville may still be working on conditioning (if that video posted is considered).
So I agree - it might be a while before Ville gets a sniff.

As a footnote, I can't see Bones putting a lot of weight on Ville's offensive acrobatics in the AHL - He'll be looking more at his stamina, strength, and dgame - IMO. I would also assume Ville knows.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not sure comparing the recovery window between Ehlers and Ville is really a consideration.
Ehlers is one of our best players and he wouldn't need a ton of time to get back to a level that would move him into the lineup.
Ville needs to get back to what is probably his highest play level ever which is where he was prior to the injury.

Bones may want the preinjury level of play before he's in - and Ville may still be working on conditioning (if that video posted is considered).
So I agree - it might be a while before Ville gets a sniff.

As a footnote, I can't see Bones putting a lot of weight on Ville's offensive acrobatics in the AHL - He'll be looking more at his stamina, strength, and dgame - IMO. I would also assume Ville knows.

Yeah, I imagine offense is the last thing Bones is looking for.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Well I mean. Watching him play might offer a clue.

He's played what, 30 odd games in the NHL spread over 3-4 years... lots of prospects look pretty middling while they find their game in the NHL. So not much to judge him by imo
”well I mean” putting up points in the minors isn’t translating to this point in his career. He had a great preseason, whoop Dee do, that’s just more of the same. A good AHL player playing good against AHL players. “I mean”, those types of performances get people excited about all sorts of good AHL players who can’t make the jump.

At this point I’m not impressed with Heinola being a good AHL player playing good against AHL players. We know this about Heinola already. The problem is when he gets to the NHL he is OK, nothing special with the puck sometimes he’s trying to make too many AHL passes.

Defensively in the NHL he’s near useless. Until he figures that out he’s going To have a hard time sticking especially with Bones running the show. And no offense but I’m going to be listening to the Jets head coach over fans of prospects.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yup, unless you have size cough Stanley cough.
I think our blueline is what it is - they don't all kill it on D and it's not built around size other than the exception you point out (who is PB anyway).
Ville only need to be as good defensively as he was prior to injury - which isn't a crazy target to hit.

I don’t think Bones cares about offense until you can play defense.
He definitely wants to see some defense from his Dmen - as over the top as that request might be :sarcasm:

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
”well I mean” putting up points in the minors isn’t translating to this point in his career. He had a great preseason, whoop Dee do, that’s just more of the same. A good AHL player playing good against AHL players. “I mean”, those types of performances get people excited about all sorts of good AHL players who can’t make the jump.

At this point I’m not impressed with Heinola being a good AHL player playing good against AHL players. We know this about Heinola already. The problem is when he gets to the NHL he is OK, nothing special with the puck sometimes he’s trying to make too many AHL passes.

Defensively in the NHL he’s near useless. Until he figures that out he’s going To have a hard time sticking especially with Bones running the show. And no offense but I’m going to be listening to the Jets head coach over fans of prospects.
k. Still lots of opinions about a guy you've never watched but sure.

You could go on this same rant about every prospect ever, outside of top picks like Laine. Scheif also took a lot more than 30 games to start showing why we picked him.

Seems weird to me to question peoples' "obsession" (???) with a prospect and wonder what people see in him when you literally have never even watched the player as a prospect?

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
k. Still lots of opinions about a guy you've never watched but sure.

You could go on this same rant about every prospect ever, outside of top picks like Laine. Scheif also took a lot more than 30 games to start showing why we picked him.

Seems weird to me to question peoples' "obsession" (???) with a prospect and wonder what people see in him when you literally have never even watched the player as a prospect?
You can beat that straw men in each of these paragraphs all you want, that doesn’t make them true.

I’ve seen him play in the NHL, you are aware he has played in the NHL?. I’ve seen what the coaches have said. I’m speaking To him as an individual.

I imagine he will get another crack at the NHL before the season ends and I hope he shows he has improved. But at the same time I’m going to be shocked if he can out play Schmitt.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
How so? Logan stinks defensively and finds his way into the lineup. Clearly defense isn't the only requirement from the coach.

If he wasn't 6"7 would anyone give him a sniff at an NHL job?

Bones only gives him 13:25 TOI on average, he’s hardly some sort of coaches pet. I think the only reason he got time earlier this year was to show what he can do for another team or currently in a pinch with Dillon out. He will probably play behind Heinola once the roster limit is lifted. Stanley is probably in one of the worst spots on the team. He job for the most part is to eat popcorn.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
How so? Logan stinks defensively and finds his way into the lineup. Clearly defense isn't the only requirement from the coach.

He's a 7D and covering for 3 gp for a suspension. Another 3 gp bc they went 7D in a game. He's barely on their radar as regular dman.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
You can beat that straw men in each of these paragraphs all you want, that doesn’t make them true.

I’ve seen him play in the NHL, you are aware he has played in the NHL?. I’ve seen what the coaches have said. I’m speaking To him as an individual.

I imagine he will get another crack at the NHL before the season ends and I hope he shows he has improved. But at the same time I’m going to be shocked if he can out play Schmitt.

I think it's fair to wait and see with him, he hasn't looked great in the NHL. He's been a very exciting prospect though, and we haven't had much for offense from our D since buff, so really rooting for him to put it together and I can understand why people like him.

Reactions: TS Quint

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014

If he wasn't 6'7" he'd be a totally different player. What a strange argument. Would Nikolaj Ehlers have made the NHL if he were 5'4"?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If he wasn't 6'7" he'd be a totally different player. What a strange argument. Would Nikolaj Ehlers have made the NHL if he were 5'4"?

The argument is that even though he has size he sucks and gets looks because of his size only.

With Ehlers he has skill and is good. If he was smaller but still had his speed and skill then sure he probably gets a look i.e a Caufield.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
With Dillion out they should run 5 defensenan and 13 forwards. Even try Kupari at D over Stan.
stanley is just as productive offensively as kupari this season. PHI put up some quality shots vs the Jets w/ stanley on the ice , not much vs PIT though.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
.........regarding the Jets now it's the first thing he is looking for.
From our 2nd line yeah, but not from a rookie that has struggled with defense at the NHL level. At this point Villie will get his shot when the organization thinks he is ready to handle NHL forwards pushing hard during a stretch drive. Unless we really get hit with injuries, I don't think we see him until after the TDL and rosters can be expanded as he would likely just be parked in the PB, while risking a player to waivers.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He's a 7D and covering for 3 gp for a suspension. Another 3 gp bc they went 7D in a game. He's barely on their radar as regular dman.

But if he wasn't 6'7 he would have been long gone. Might never have made it out of the AHL - and saying that I don't hate Stan nearly as much as some here do. He's not meeting his draft position, but I never expected him to. He is probably not the worst #7 Dman in the league. Probably not even close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad