Player Discussion: Heinola Thread

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was noticing that Adam Fox and Ville Heinola are the same size. Similar skating ability too. Fox is a bit more gifted offensively but skill and IQ are their common primary weapons. Fox slipped to the 3rd round in his draft for a reason and my guess is it was the size-skating combo at the time.

Here’s hoping Ville can develop into a solid asset for us. As a side note Fox didn’t enter the NHL until his draft +4 season despite putting up big numbers at Harvard.

Last edited:

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I was noticing that Adam Fox and Ville Heinola are the same size. Similar skating ability too. Fox is a bit more gifted offensively but skill and IQ are their common primary weapons. Fox slipped to the 3rd round in his draft for a reason and my guess is it was the size-skating combo at the time.

Here’s hoping Ville can develop into a solid asset for us. As a side note Fox didn’t enter the NHL until his draft +4 season despite putting up big numbers at Harvard.

Are you saying that if you don’t get thrown right into the lineup as a teenager it doesn’t totally ruin your development?!?!?!

Thank goodness.

In all seriousness, I expect Heinola to be in the top 4 for the last two years of his ELC. Which is huge.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I think he should get a chance with the big club next season. He was playing well two seasons ago in his 10 or so games, so I think it's time.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Ville the Kid squeaks onto Wheeler's list of the Top 5o NHL prospects under 23 in 40th place:

NHL top 50 prospects, 2021 edition: Byfield, Caufield and Power headline Wheeler’s drafted skaters ranking

40. Ville Heinola, LHD, 20 (Winnipeg Jets — 20th overall, 2019)
Between Lukko in Liiga, the Manitoba Moose in the AHL, and an incredible showing at the world juniors to help Finland to a bronze medal (earning a place on the tournament all-star team along the way), Heinola had a really strong year for 19-20-year-old. He looks ready for the full-time leap to everyday NHL defenseman. His edgework has improved from an asset to a real advantage. He’s looking to attack and impose himself more offensively. And that has taken advantage of the biggest asset he has always had: his poise. It may take him time to build that same confidence at the NHL level because he’s not such a high-end prospect that he’s going to be handed opportunity. But I believe in him as a top-four guy at this point.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
think heinola is easily our best D prospect, and one with the highest ceiling and is my top-prospect on the Jets. Think he has a safer floor, but similar ceiling to perfetti. whether either of them reach :dunno:, but i think Heinola at a minimum can hold down a 2nd pair.

fox wasn't signing with either CGY or CAR, so who knows if he was ready earlier? think his situation was more of a "im never playing for these teams/only want to play with the Rangers" vs isn't ready.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Ville the Kid squeaks onto Wheeler's list of the Top 5o NHL prospects under 23 in 40th place:
NHL top 50 prospects, 2021 edition: Byfield, Caufield and Power headline Wheeler’s drafted skaters ranking
40. Ville Heinola, LHD, 20 (Winnipeg Jets — 20th overall, 2019)
.....His edgework has improved from an asset to a real advantage. He’s looking to attack and impose himself more offensively. And that has taken advantage of the biggest asset he has always had: his poise. It may take him time to build that same confidence at the NHL level because he’s not such a high-end prospect that he’s going to be handed opportunity. But I believe in him as a top-four guy at this point.
The bolded speaks to the essence of Heinola's strength as a prospect and the rarest of commodities--hockey IQ and decision-making. I have believed from the first few times I saw him that his skating (esp first few steps) and overall strength were the only things separating him from the NHL. Those appear to have improved with time and proper development. Now we have him for 3 years on an ELC and he is ready to fill in on any pair, up and down the D lineup.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He is pretty much too good for the AHL

Yeah he's pretty darn close to ready. He just needs to consistiently play an active brand of hockey.

I personally wouldn't be opposed to creating two pairings like the JoMo/Schmidt pairing moving forward.

JoMo Schmidt
Heinola Pionk
Stanley DeMelo

Not too concerned with retaining Dillion if he doesn't prove he is able to play well with Pionk here.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Fox also slipped because it was well known prior to draft that he wanted to play in NYC

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Fox also slipped because it was well known prior to draft that he wanted to play in NYC

I remember how good Fox and Samberg looked as a pair for Team USA at the WJHC. Wonder why Calgary drafted him if he was a flight risk?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yeah he's pretty darn close to ready. He just needs to consistiently play an active brand of hockey.

I personally wouldn't be opposed to creating two pairings like the JoMo/Schmidt pairing moving forward.

JoMo Schmidt
Heinola Pionk
Stanley DeMelo

Not too concerned with retaining Dillion if he doesn't prove he is able to play well with Pionk here.

Heinola / Pionk would be a tire fire in their end

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Would they be less of one then what that current pairing is? Atleast I'd expect them to produce way more chances in which they'd even things out more.

Yes they would - if they could ever recover the puck
That would be a super lightweight pairing with minimal defensive ability -
IMO, they would be run over in most situations and we would be back to chasing even a modestly effective cycle for most of the shift.
I might try Ville with Demelo and Pionk with Stan - but I'd rather leave it as it is for now and wait to see if Dillon settles in.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes they would - if they could ever recover the puck
That would be a super lightweight pairing with minimal defensive ability -
IMO, they would be run over in most situations and we would be back to chasing even a modestly effective cycle for most of the shift.
I might try Ville with Demelo and Pionk with Stan - but I'd rather leave it as it is for now and wait to see if Dillon settles in.

This was an idea for next year if Dillion doesn't set in.

I would also be tempted to try Stanley there if he keeps his play up. He's been a plus 3rd pairing dmen so far this year.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018

JoMo Schmidt
Heinola Pionk
Stanley DeMelo

I'd be more inclined to put him with DeMelo and see what happens. Stanley has shown not much in 50 games.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
a heinola-pionk pair i've been wary of. but, seems like there's several of examples of similarly sized pairs that perform well in limiting quality chances (xGA).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad