OT: Healthy Living 3.0

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So I've tried to implement a "no excuses allowed" policy when it comes to my workouts. I've scheduled myself three days a week to hit the gym for about 1 hour at a time.

Feeling sick? **** you, go work out.
Feeling tired? **** you, go work out.
Arm's off? **** you, now its leg day.

Also hitting 10,000 steps outside of the gym per day (usually getting 5,000 in the gym) as well as hitting 20,000 steps on Sundays - usually accomplished by spending 2-3 hours wandering around in a forest somewhere.

As for diet, I've also tried to implement a less rigid method of calorie counting/assignment, and with a lot more flexibility on days I do work out, but definitely trying to hit my overall protein goals (30% of calories from protein). Example would be sticking to 2,400 calories per day, but adding up to 1,000 calories on exercise days if I'm feeling hungry. Have also phased out artificial sweeteners as a precaution, based on a recent study. (just in case) More because my energy drink consumption was starting to get to ridiculous levels, and being fueled by caffeine and rage can only take you so far.

Results:
Lost 8 lbs on the scale, including a gain of 1.5 lbs lean mass and fat loss of 9.5 lbs (I know my fancy scale isn't fully accurate but I don't have fat calipers)

So I know my routine going forward, at least until snow makes outdoor stuff become difficult - and I'm not walking the mall, not that old yet.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Well guys I've lost 5kg the last 2 months by changing my diet to a protein, vegetable/fruits only diet with only 2 pieces of bread for carbs a day. Since I'm heading back to Canada, I'll be able to work out at the nearby gym and not have to worry about smog meaning I can do cardio everyday. What diet should I have? What routine should I do daily to maintain muscle growth?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Do you like the same, scheduled workout or do you like variety?

If you like consistency, https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dougs-4-day-split-workout.html

If you like variety, someone else will have to help you.

For your diet, if you want gains you have to eat more calories than you burn. https://www.muscleandstrength.com/diet-plans/iifym-flexible-dieting-diet

Do not restrict carbs if you want to gain muscle. You need them to fuel your exercise and assist with healing / muscle growth post-workout. Do some cardio on the "rest" days instead.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Do 500 bicep curls every single day.

Confirmed success.

article-0-1ED1AA6900000578-849_634x426.jpg

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Well guys I've lost 5kg the last 2 months by changing my diet to a protein, vegetable/fruits only diet with only 2 pieces of bread for carbs a day. Since I'm heading back to Canada, I'll be able to work out at the nearby gym and not have to worry about smog meaning I can do cardio everyday. What diet should I have? What routine should I do daily to maintain muscle growth?

Whatever workout you do, I definitely suggest trying to add a semi casual swimming and sauna routine into your workout. IMO the cold water helps cool the body and thus aids recovery if added sporadically into a routine. Don't underestimate swimming. Start slow and don't push too hard. I'm usually wrecked within about 4-5 length of lanes.

As mentioned already, reducing carbs over removing it is a better idea. Higher fibre foods are a good idea too. I specifically like eating more celery, cucumbers, broccoli/gai lan, rutabega, squash (pumpkin, acorn etc.). Oatmeal and similar is supposed to work great as well. Fills you up and is high is fibre, so more difficult to break down. Popcorn is also great as a snack. But both can get out of hand depending on what you add to it. Another option IMO is to convert a bowl of rice to a bowl of congee.

Lastly, IMO walking. You'd be surprised how much 10-20 minutes of plain old walking per day helps. If the gym is close, walking to and from is huge. That's around the equivalent of hopping off the bus a stop early and walking the remainder. I walked several hours a day on my recent Japan trip and lost 7-8 pounds after my trip which I'm stoked about. I'm below 180 for the first time in a long time.

Try not to overdo things and injure yourself. You'll lose your gains while recovering.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Whatever workout you do, I definitely suggest trying to add a semi casual swimming and sauna routine into your workout. IMO the cold water helps cool the body and thus aids recovery if added sporadically into a routine. Don't underestimate swimming. Start slow and don't push too hard. I'm usually wrecked within about 4-5 length of lanes.

As mentioned already, reducing carbs over removing it is a better idea. Higher fibre foods are a good idea too. I specifically like eating more celery, cucumbers, broccoli/gai lan, rutabega, squash (pumpkin, acorn etc.). Oatmeal and similar is supposed to work great as well. Fills you up and is high is fibre, so more difficult to break down. Popcorn is also great as a snack. But both can get out of hand depending on what you add to it. Another option IMO is to convert a bowl of rice to a bowl of congee.

Lastly, IMO walking. You'd be surprised how much 10-20 minutes of plain old walking per day helps. If the gym is close, walking to and from is huge. That's around the equivalent of hopping off the bus a stop early and walking the remainder. I walked several hours a day on my recent Japan trip and lost 7-8 pounds after my trip which I'm stoked about. I'm below 180 for the first time in a long time.

Try not to overdo things and injure yourself. You'll lose your gains while recovering.

I saw some British science documentary a while ago. One of those 1 hour episodes that are somewhere between entertainment and science. Anyway, they showed a short research where people participated some extreme running competition, and were then divided into three groups: cold, hot, and "nothing". Both cold and hot were around equally good for relieving muscle pain, and much better than doing nothing.

Personally, sauna is more for general relaxation for me and cold water for muscle pain. Having your own sauna in your 40m^2 apartment helps of course ;)

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I saw some British science documentary a while ago. One of those 1 hour episodes that are somewhere between entertainment and science. Anyway, they showed a short research where people participated some extreme running competition, and were then divided into three groups: cold, hot, and "nothing". Both cold and hot were around equally good for relieving muscle pain, and much better than doing nothing.

Personally, sauna is more for general relaxation for me and cold water for muscle pain. Having your own sauna in your 40m^2 apartment helps of course ;)

I swear every Finn owns a sauna :laugh: you guys have it made

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I swear every Finn owns a sauna :laugh: you guys have it made

I guess the official numbers are somewhere around 5 million people and 3 million saunas :laugh:

But seriously, the signifgance of sauna is something that is really difficult to explain to a non-Finn, it is a really integral part of our culture.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I guess the official numbers are somewhere around 5 million people and 3 million saunas :laugh:

But seriously, the signifgance of sauna is something that is really difficult to explain to a non-Finn, it is a really integral part of our culture.

Sub-artic climate, hot sauna. It's all about the duality of man.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hey guys pretty stoked i just hit a new PR on Squats. did 275lbs x 3 reps beltless. Beyond happy!

Nice work buddy, you should be happy! I’m at 1 workout in the last 2 months but I’ve only gained 2lbs as I’ve basically completely cut out wheat of my diet. To be fair, I’ve haven’t had any time to do it as I’ve had a single day off in the last 3 weeks. My tequila content has also gone up to cope with the stress :laugh:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
So far no real changes to report with IF, although three days into it and I'm having no problems sticking within the window I've given myself (which is noon to 8pm).

To this point I've mostly always waited to get to work before eating breakfast so I'm just delaying it by a few more hours (like 3 at the most, which is manageable). I allow myself to drink coffee in the mornings though, with milk, and I try to drink a lot of water as well although I definitely need to improve on the water consumption. Then I eat lunch at noon, some snacks throughout the afternoon, and dinner usually at 6:30ish. So far so good. The real test will be on the weekends though.

I just got a standing desk at work as well so I'm excited to start using that more.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So far no real changes to report with IF, although three days into it and I'm having no problems sticking within the window I've given myself (which is noon to 8pm).

To this point I've mostly always waited to get to work before eating breakfast so I'm just delaying it by a few more hours (like 3 at the most, which is manageable). I allow myself to drink coffee in the mornings though, with milk, and I try to drink a lot of water as well although I definitely need to improve on the water consumption. Then I eat lunch at noon, some snacks throughout the afternoon, and dinner usually at 6:30ish. So far so good. The real test will be on the weekends though.

I just got a standing desk at work as well so I'm excited to start using that more.
Not sure if this would make a difference for anyone else, but ever since I bought a water cooler from Costco, I drink a shit ton of water. It's really helped my headache and has helped in my reduction of beverages I am trying to stay away from.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not sure if this would make a difference for anyone else, but ever since I bought a water cooler from Costco, I drink a shit ton of water. It's really helped my headache and has helped in my reduction of beverages I am trying to stay away from.
It's the one piece of advice I give anyone who wants health advice. I did the same thing years ago. I used to be chronically dehydrated (didn't know it). Now I basically always have water by me, and I'm constantly drinking it. It's made such a huge difference.

Reactions: Method Man

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
@Anglesmith yeah I was chronically dehydrated too, now I have the water cooler in my living room (because I know I am lazy) and I drink anytime I am thirsty. I'm so used to it that even at work I am going back to the water cooler more and more.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Anyone do Yoga?

My shoulders are hooped and was thinking to do it for them as well for overall mobility.

Left shoulder has ok mobility, right shoulder is fairly poor mobility.

Did a shoulder day Thursday and benched Friday and it took like 5 days for my shoulders to heal up. Rotator cuff are destroyed :(

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

It's the one piece of advice I give anyone who wants health advice. I did the same thing years ago. I used to be chronically dehydrated (didn't know it). Now I basically always have water by me, and I'm constantly drinking it. It's made such a huge difference.

Yeah I almost always have my water bottle next to me. Just kinda... don't drink it, for whatever reason. Maybe I need a reminder on my phone lol

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah I almost always have my water bottle next to me. Just kinda... don't drink it, for whatever reason.

It's a hassle. I used to do this. Removing the cap is enough annoyance to skip a sip. Dumb but true for me at least. What I did instead was to use a large over sized been stein and fill it with water and keep it at my desk. I drink this far more regularly than my water bottle.

Anyone do Yoga?

Used to. Stopped when I got cheap. It work wonders for all sorts of pain and ailments. Furthermore it helped me understand my body's capabilities and thus allowed me to focus on working to balance my strength on the left and right side of my body. No issues recommending it. I did hot yoga with the wife. Worked great. But there's also online options you can do at home via video etc. But I still recommend going to a studio to do hot yoga. Instruction from an instructor, hot girls in yoga clothing... something like that might be worth paying for.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Used to. Stopped when I got cheap. It work wonders for all sorts of pain and ailments. Furthermore it helped me understand my body's capabilities and thus allowed me to focus on working to balance my strength on the left and right side of my body. No issues recommending it. I did hot yoga with the wife. Worked great. But there's also online options you can do at home via video etc. But I still recommend going to a studio to do hot yoga. Instruction from an instructor, hot girls in yoga clothing... something like that might be worth paying for.

Going for the girls in those pants.

Might do me more harm though with all the blood rushing out of my shoulders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad