OT: Healthy Living 3.0

May 27, 2012
Earth
Anyone do Yoga?

My shoulders are hooped and was thinking to do it for them as well for overall mobility.

Left shoulder has ok mobility, right shoulder is fairly poor mobility.

Did a shoulder day Thursday and benched Friday and it took like 5 days for my shoulders to heal up. Rotator cuff are destroyed :(
You should spread out your shoulder day and bench/chest day by at least two days. Like Wednesday and a Friday or something and do something else on the Thursday. Chest and Shoulders use a lot of similar muscles and doing them in succession won’t help with performance as much.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
You should spread out your shoulder day and bench/chest day by at least two days. Like Wednesday and a Friday or something and do something else on the Thursday. Chest and Shoulders use a lot of similar muscles and doing them in succession won’t help with performance as much.

I usually do, just did shoulders and chest back-to-back because I can't train legs cause I pulled my quad muscle and wanted to go to the gym rather than stay home.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So guys part of healthy living is rest. How long should I rest for, and from when to when? Is 8 hours good enough? More or less needed?

Once I get back to Canada, I have 60 hours every week to do a lot of stuff, as the first 108 hours will be spent working, sleeping, eating, washroom breaks, and getting to and back from work. How much of the 60 hours should I allocate to working out?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
8 hours should be your sleep goal. My sleep habits are horrible and 6 hours is a good night's rest for me.

If you want to make working out a priority you can spend as much time in the gym as you want. The trainer I had didn't want me lifting weights more than an hour (ideally 30 minutes) with another 30 of cardio, and 5-10 minutes of stretching. Of course there's the added time needed to change clothes, shower, flirt with the girl behind the counter, and so on.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
8 is the 'recommended' amount, but I think there is quite a lot of variance person to person due to factors like age, lifestyle and stress. For myself personally I find that 8 hours leaves me feeling overslept and groggy. I usually aim for about 7 hours.

If you are in a situation where you are able to do your workouts in the morning, I recommend doing so. You can make it a part of your morning habits, and then you won't need to worry about hitting the gym for the rest of your day.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I aim for 7, usually. But these days I usually don't make it. Nights like last night where I have to play in the pub until after midnight, and then get up at 7 in the morning, are a big reason why.

Another is the fact that I like to game.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
8 is the 'recommended' amount, but I think there is quite a lot of variance person to person due to factors like age, lifestyle and stress. For myself personally I find that 8 hours leaves me feeling overslept and groggy. I usually aim for about 7 hours.

If you are in a situation where you are able to do your workouts in the morning, I recommend doing so. You can make it a part of your morning habits, and then you won't need to worry about hitting the gym for the rest of your day.

Well they say sleeping early and waking up early is the best. If I can sleep at 10PM (So no Flames games to watch unfortunately) (Toronto time zone), and wake up at 6, and jog to the gym (Aka doing my cardio in the process), then do weights, and work at like 10 or so, that'll be perfect.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I occasionally ascribe to the polyphasic sleep style. 5-6 hours of sleep + 2-3 hours after work. Though this is generally done during winter and more during periods where I have work and schooling at the same time. Normally, I sleep 6-9 hours. Sleeping just after work allows me to be less tired when studying at night and have slightly more energy in periods where distractions are at their lowest, so I find I can more easily focus on the task at hand.

ie:
Sleep 2AM -7AM
Work 8AM-6PM
Sleep 7PM-10PM
Study 11PM-2AM

There's always recommendations, but the optimum may differ from person to person.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I rarely if ever get 8 hours. I get up at 6am for work but I barely feel tired at 10pm. So that's a non-starter for me. I'm maybe asleep by 10:30 if I'm actually tired.

It's just like a lot of things. Don't get too wrapped up in numbers and stats and stuff, do what works best for you. There's no perfect formula.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I need a new workout plan

I need to plan to workout.

I’ve been working an obscene amount over the last month. There was a period that I worked 20/21 days, and some of those were 13 hour shifts. I’m going away tomorrow for 5 days to do nothing, when I come back I plan on looking after myself. I’m so burnt out it’s not even funny.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I need a new workout plan

I need to plan to workout.

Funny enough, these are both equally important. It's hard though, I get it. Life is what happens when you make other plans.

Work is burning me out too lately. Been so busy that I'm just exhausted by the time I get home most days. And I can't find the justification in working out solely on weekends (although anything is better than nothing, admittedly).

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
Anyone do Yoga?

My shoulders are hooped and was thinking to do it for them as well for overall mobility.

Left shoulder has ok mobility, right shoulder is fairly poor mobility.

Did a shoulder day Thursday and benched Friday and it took like 5 days for my shoulders to heal up. Rotator cuff are destroyed :(

I do Yoga 3 - 4 times a week and I love it. It corrects my posture big time since I'm a guitarist/guitar teacher I am crouched over a lot playing guitar so Yoga helps straightens out my posture.
I also find Yoga relaxes me greatly as well since it works on your breathing. There are so many great benefits from doing yoga.

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
How much water should I be drinking?

I do resistance band/body weight exercises 4 - 5 times a week and I go for a 30 - 40 min run 6 times a week. Sometimes it feels like I drink enough water but other days it feels like I am still dehydrated.
Does anyone know or are there any apps that calculates that? I've tried looking but haven't found any yet.

Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad