OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Alright, boys and girls, looking for some feedback. This may be a bit long-winded but it's not for nothing.

I had started 5x5 strong lifts program in the summer and it had been going decent. I was (and am currently in) the market to drop about 50 pounds, ideally. I have accomplished this previously a couple of years ago just by eating healthy and watching calories and little else. I would exercise a couple of days per week (racquetball, eliptical, etc) but it was really just about watching calories, good choices, and whatnot and I'd toss a cheat day in just to keep it fresh. It worked really well. I dropped 40 pounds over the course of about four months.

Fast forward to today, I'm back in the same spot again, though aside from dropping weight I'm really looking at just a long term, sustained lifestyle change as far as eating, health, physical activity, etc. This isn't a New Years thing, it's a "I'm legitimately tired of how I look and feel and want to be healthier, feel better, and live longer" mental change. It's time. I'm 36 with a 2 year old son and maybe more on the way and I not only want to be around as long as possible for them but I want to be able to be as active with him as I possibly can. I'm not getting any younger and he's only going to get more and more active. As an aside, I am going to start skating again so that will also help and also why i want to be in better shape because I don't want to be an embarrassment out there!

So, sure, I could do what I did last time and just limit calories (I think I was at 1,800 per day) but I also want to be more fit and just have weight off. I do have a pretty good muscular frame under this crap and good structure, but I certainly want to increase cardiovascular health and increase strength in muscles, tendons, ligaments, all of it. Just all around be more fit.

My question is, could doing a lifting program similar to 5x5 (doesn't have to be exact but something of that ilk where it's core lifts three days per week) while maintaining a healthy diet lead to fat/weight loss better, or am I better off doing the healthy eating/calorie counting thing while doing high intensity interval training three days per week to cut first THEN introduce a lifting program to increase strength and mass once the goop is gone? Short term, plain and simple, I want to shed the weight. I know what my ideal weight should be given my structure and what it was at one time, so I know about where I need to be. My basal metabolic rate is about 1,780 right now for added info.

If people say a lifting plan works to accomplish this, what should my calorie intake be? I think I wrestled most with that when doing the 5x5 because I did feel myself getting stronger, but the scale wasn't going down much after the first week or so and I was wrestling with how many calories I needed to take in to properly assist with the physiology of muscles and weight training but also keeping them low enough that I was at a deficit to be able to lose weight. Those things kinda go against each other a bit. I know after a lift you continue to burn calories for the next 24 hours or so as your muscles repair themselves, but I really wrestled with what the proper caloric intake was to accomplish what I wanted to accomplish.

Sorry for the long ass post, but it's kind of complicated and wanted to have it all out there. Appreciate any and all feedback. Cheers.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
My question is, could doing a lifting program similar to 5x5 (doesn't have to be exact but something of that ilk where it's core lifts three days per week) while maintaining a healthy diet lead to fat/weight loss better, or am I better off doing the healthy eating/calorie counting thing while doing high intensity interval training three days per week to cut first THEN introduce a lifting program to increase strength and mass once the goop is gone? Short term, plain and simple, I want to shed the weight. I know what my ideal weight should be given my structure and what it was at one time, so I know about where I need to be. My basal metabolic rate is about 1,780 right now for added info.

If people say a lifting plan works to accomplish this, what should my calorie intake be? I think I wrestled most with that when doing the 5x5 because I did feel myself getting stronger, but the scale wasn't going down much after the first week or so and I was wrestling with how many calories I needed to take in to properly assist with the physiology of muscles and weight training but also keeping them low enough that I was at a deficit to be able to lose weight. Those things kinda go against each other a bit. I know after a lift you continue to burn calories for the next 24 hours or so as your muscles repair themselves, but I really wrestled with what the proper caloric intake was to accomplish what I wanted to accomplish.

Sorry for the long ass post, but it's kind of complicated and wanted to have it all out there. Appreciate any and all feedback. Cheers.

Losing fat is going to be all diet. My best advice is come up with some simple that you can do in the long term. It can be boring but it'll work. For example during the week I eat basically the same thing every day for breakfast and lunch then have a reasonable dinner. I don't snack during the day and don't drink during the week. Lifting and eating healthy will give you results over the long term. I'd suggest not trying to do it all in a month or even 3 months because you'll just yo-yo back up after your "diet" ends. Find an eating plan you can live with over the long term. Also I'd say stay off the scale and judge your progress by how you look at feel. Don't set a numerical goal.

Reactions: Blue Liner

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Good luck @Blue Liner, my fitness journey started at new years last year. It’s a good time to turn the page. You’ll stick with it. All I can comment on is the high intensity cardio. It makes you feel younger and mentally sharp. It also increases your lung capacity. I want to do weights though, for the aesthetics.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I personally can not lose weight with a semi heavy 5X5 type program. I get in shape and lose fat while gaining muscle but the scale will not move. Recent evidence indicates too heavy is too heavy whether muscle or fat!

The only way I could lose weight was to run, which I hate and go to a high rep 15-20 per set with lighter weights.

Just me, good luck in your quest.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I personally can not lose weight with a semi heavy 5X5 type program. I get in shape and lose fat while gaining muscle but the scale will not move. Recent evidence indicates too heavy is too heavy whether muscle or fat!

The only way I could lose weight was to run, which I hate and go to a high rep 15-20 per set with lighter weights.

Just me, good luck in your quest.

I'm probably 10 lbs heavier than I was 2-3 years ago but much trimmer.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
@Blue Liner

Like Illini and MM both alluded to, you will not lose weight but you will build strength/muscle. If anything, you will gain weight from those noob gainz.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Last workout of 2017 in the books. Short on goals across the board, but still a good year with improvement so can’t complain too much given I was hit by 2 cars that put a big dent into stats.

5831 miles of cycling
581 miles of running
142 miles of swimming

New goals for 2018 will be 10,000 miles on bike and 1000 miles of running. Signed up for a bunch of races already so have plenty of things to stay busy training.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Doing a "small goal" for 2018 to start the year. One set of pushups and crunches in the morning and aftrrnoon/evening every day. That's for someone who never works out.

Also going back on my "low carb" diet for the year if possible. I basically try to stick to "4 pieces of bread a day". I'll convert that bread to rice or noodles or whatever if I eat something like that. So like a serving of spaghetti (normal serving, not full plate) will replace 2 pieces of bread for example. My biggest crutch is carbs and eating huge servings during meals. I'm not fat by any means, but got a beer gut. Low carb has worked for me in the past.

Hopefully between the two I get more trim. Will add weights if i can stick to the two goals above at a later date.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Last workout of 2017 in the books. Short on goals across the board, but still a good year with improvement so can’t complain too much given I was hit by 2 cars that put a big dent into stats.

5831 miles of cycling
581 miles of running
142 miles of swimming

New goals for 2018 will be 10,000 miles on bike and 1000 miles of running. Signed up for a bunch of races already so have plenty of things to stay busy training.

Holy crap!

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013

5831 miles of cycling
581 miles of running
142 miles of swimming

HOLY CRAP!

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
So my last workout of the year was lackluster, failed on OHP, just really poor form and effort today. Doesn't help that it was cold as shit in TX today.

My final 2017 numbers

@185lbs

Squat 175
Deadlift 215
Bench Press 200
OHP 117.5 (going to deload to 85LBs and really focus on form)
Row 145
Chin Ups +22.5 (honestly don't know how I'm going to go much higher)

Big 3 - 590 LBs

Still really need to focus on my spine form especially on deadlifting, still rounding my lumbar too much for my liking.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
So my last workout of the year was lackluster, failed on OHP, just really poor form and effort today. Doesn't help that it was cold as **** in TX today.

My final 2017 numbers

@185lbs

Squat 175
Deadlift 215
Bench Press 200
OHP 117.5 (going to deload to 85LBs and really focus on form)
Row 145
Chin Ups +22.5 (honestly don't know how I'm going to go much higher)

Big 3 - 590 LBs

Still really need to focus on my spine form especially on deadlifting, still rounding my lumbar too much for my liking.

No criticism but your totals seem really weird. Are these one rep max numbers or working set poundage?

Your OHP, Row and bench seem to not jive with each other?

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
No criticism but your totals seem really weird. Are these one rep max numbers or working set poundage?

Your OHP, Row and bench seem to not jive with each other?

Working sets. I started most of these at bar. Bench is a little different since I was benching a good amount before. Pretty much I am still finding out my 1RM. OHP I am at maxed, BP I think I have another 25lbs I can do, Row Im not sure, I've been pretty consistent at increasing.

What is weird about it? You're not the first to mention it lol.

Last edited:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Working sets. I started most of these at bar. Bench is a little different since I was benching a good amount before. Pretty much I am still finding out my 1RM. OHP I am at maxed, BP I think I have another 25lbs I can do, Row Im not sure, I've been pretty consistent at increasing.

What is weird about it? You're not the first to mention it lol.

If you are using 200 on bench at 185 bodyweight, that's quite strong. If you can do 10 reps, that = about a 300# max. It is a pushing exercise.

OHP is another pushing exercise but it seems you are using a weight that is below what I would expect??

Rowing is a pulling exercise and 145# is quite good for working sets, but deads are quite low.

I think you mentioned struggling with squats or being new to them so it's understandably very low.

An example of what the numbers would look like if "more in line". This is for legit, judged single rep max.

Bench = 1 (200)
Deads= 2 (400)
Squats= 1.9 (380)

Keep pushing!

Last edited:

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
If you are using 200 on bench at 185 bodyweight, that's quite strong. If you can do 10 reps, that = about a 300# max. It is a pushing exercise.

OHP is another pushing exercise but it seems you are using a weight that is below what I would expect??

Rowing is a pulling exercise and 145# is quite good for working sets, but deads are quite low.

I think you mentioned struggling with squats or being new to them so it's understandably very low.

An example of what the numbers would look like if "more in line". This is for legit, judged single rep max.

Bench = 1 (200)
Deads= 2 (400)
Squats= 1.9 (380)

Keep pushing!

Yeah, my numbers are all whacked because I literally started all workouts at bar. The workout increases by 2.5lbs a workout OR double if you do 10+ reps on last set. Hence why my BP is higher. Bench was all I really did before I started this, that's why it's up there.

I hope I could get to those numbers you posted. That's pretty much my "goal"

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Shout out to my boy Lance Briggs on his food for fuel idea. I’ve done it every weekday and one weekend day for about a month. By the way, I haven’t been working out. My belly fat, which is the only fat left on my body, has been melting off. Peanut butter, eggs and salmon. Those are the keys. Eat the yolk too, regular egg lands best eggs. I know it has cholesterol but just eat them a couple times a week, just a couple eggs at some point in the day, don’t make some big ass omlet Michael Phelps would eat for his training. Eat your 2 tbsp of organic peanut butter once a day. Eat salmon, turkey or chicken for your main meals. Eat 2 salads per day, take it easy on the dressing, Fuller. Veggies once a day. Lots of water all day, every day.

And I gotta say it because it’s true and important, it has enchanced everything about me physically and mentally, remember, there are no bounds to improvement, never stop. But god damn, my T or whatever the f*** it is, it’s like I’m in highschool again except I’m not if you know what I mean. Give it some thought. Yeah, it’s hard, but you might fall in love with it and stick to it, at least during the week. That alone is all you have to do. Don’t go nuts on the weekend but you don’t have to be a stickler either. You will feel the effects. Just stay positive, and that’s with whatever you do, I’m just like anyone else, telling you what works for me and offering suggestions, pick up parts of it now, maybe try others later. Do your own research too, I spent a lot of time figuring out what I needed. Maybe your size or gender or starting point requires some modifications. And no processed stuff either, you’re spending less on food with this anyway even with the less processed meat, fruit and veggies.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Shout out to my boy Lance Briggs on his food for fuel idea. I’ve done it every weekday and one weekend day for about a month. By the way, I haven’t been working out. My belly fat, which is the only fat left on my body, has been melting off. Peanut butter, eggs and salmon. Those are the keys. Eat the yoke too, regular egg lands best eggs. I know it has cholesterol but just eat them a couple times a week, just a couple eggs at some point in the day, don’t make some big ass omlet Michael Phelps would eat for his training. Eat your 2 tbsp of organic peanut butter once a day. Eat salmon, turkey or chicken for your main meals. Eat 2 salads per day, take it easy on the dressing, Fuller. Veggies once a day. Lots of water all day, every day.

And I gotta say it because it’s true and important, it has enchanced everything about me physically and mentally, remember, there are no bounds to improvement, never stop. But god damn, my T or whatever the **** it is, it’s like I’m in highschool again except I’m not if you know what I mean. Give it some thought. Yeah, it’s hard, but you might fall in love with it and stick to it, at least during the week. That alone is all you have to do. Don’t go nuts on the weekend but you don’t have to be a stickler either. You will feel the effects. Just stay positive, and that’s with whatever you do, I’m just like anyone else, telling you what works for me and offering suggestions, pick up parts of it now, maybe try others later. Do your own research too, I spent a lot of time figuring out what I needed. Maybe your size or gender or starting point requires some modifications.

There are a lot of studies that say our body doesn't absorb the cholesterol in yolks and that they're not anything we should be wary of.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Shout out to my boy Lance Briggs on his food for fuel idea. I’ve done it every weekday and one weekend day for about a month. By the way, I haven’t been working out. My belly fat, which is the only fat left on my body, has been melting off. Peanut butter, eggs and salmon. Those are the keys. Eat the yoke too, regular egg lands best eggs. I know it has cholesterol but just eat them a couple times a week, just a couple eggs at some point in the day, don’t make some big ass omlet Michael Phelps would eat for his training. Eat your 2 tbsp of organic peanut butter once a day. Eat salmon, turkey or chicken for your main meals. Eat 2 salads per day, take it easy on the dressing, Fuller. Veggies once a day. Lots of water all day, every day.

And I gotta say it because it’s true and important, it has enchanced everything about me physically and mentally, remember, there are no bounds to improvement, never stop. But god damn, my T or whatever the **** it is, it’s like I’m in highschool again except I’m not if you know what I mean. Give it some thought. Yeah, it’s hard, but you might fall in love with it and stick to it, at least during the week. That alone is all you have to do. Don’t go nuts on the weekend but you don’t have to be a stickler either. You will feel the effects. Just stay positive, and that’s with whatever you do, I’m just like anyone else, telling you what works for me and offering suggestions, pick up parts of it now, maybe try others later. Do your own research too, I spent a lot of time figuring out what I needed. Maybe your size or gender or starting point requires some modifications.

Don't worry, dietary cholesterol has little to no impact on cholesterol in the bloodstream which is what you want to avoid.

Hardboiled eggs are also a negative calorie food. WIN WIN

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Don't worry, dietary cholesterol has little to no impact on cholesterol in the bloodstream which is what you want to avoid.

I never knew that about hard boiled eggs. Guess I’ll probably be eating a good bit more going forward. One of the few things that really keep me full and I don’t mind eating in the morning. I’m such a picky morning eater.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
That's good to know about the differences in cholesterol. That was one thing that always gave me pause about eggs.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Looks like I will be buying more eggs tonight.

I was on the elliptical for 45 minutes this morning and I already hate it. 45 minutes to 1 hour of pure hate everyday.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
There are a lot of studies that say our body doesn't absorb the cholesterol in yolks and that they're not anything we should be wary of.

Yes. Eggs are fine.

"Chicken eggs are high in cholesterol, but the effect of egg consumption on blood cholesterolis minimal when compared with the effect of trans fats and saturated fats. ... According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, one large egghas about 186 mg milligrams (mg) of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk.Dec 5, 2014

Eggs: Are they good or bad for my cholesterol?

I think people forget that there are good and bad fats, good and bad cholesterol, good and bad carbs, and good and bad sugars. I'm not at all an expert but unless you have an actual high-cholesterol problem, or diabetes, or heart issues, you can really get by in life with your diet by eating real food and cutting out the bullshit as much as possible.

Pop, candy, chips, artificial sweeteners, essentially everything you find at a 7/11. Avoid that stuff, lift weights, and regularly do cardio to the point where you're sweating and you should be a pretty healthy person who looks and feels great.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

That’s great news. What about shrimp? That’s another food that seems like the perfect healthy food except it also has a lot of cholesterol.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That’s great news. What about shrimp? That’s another food that seems like the perfect healthy food except it also has a lot of cholesterol.

I haven’t looked a ton into the absorption of cholesterol from shrimp, but I believe most shellfish are pretty detrimental in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad