Confirmed with Link: Hawks trade Pokka to Ottawa for DiDomenico

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
As you said, it does open up a dman spot down there, and if he didn't have confidence in Pokka it does make sense. Time will tell.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
My Ville Pokka story;

Friend i know works at a large retail chain in rockford said he and a lady friend came in to purchase things, was shocked that she, my friend, towered over him (she is 6 foot) and was cringey at the tight shirt he had on that showed off a mushroom belly.

Hopefully he gets his act together.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
My Ville Pokka story;

Friend i know works at a large retail chain in rockford said he and a lady friend came in to purchase things, was shocked that she, my friend, towered over him (she is 6 foot) and was cringey at the tight shirt he had on that showed off a mushroom belly.

Hopefully he gets his act together.

Old story? because everything reported says he is in much better shape this season.

Also he is listed at 6' and when I have seen him it appeared that was relatively accurate (I am 5'11"). Towering over him implies he is like 5'8".

Not shocked by the tight shirt because he is a Euro and the young NHL guys where some stupid shit (Jorts leading the way).

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Old story? because everything reported says he is in much better shape this season.

Also he is listed at 6' and when I have seen him it appeared that was relatively accurate (I am 5'11"). Towering over him implies he is like 5'8".

Not shocked by the tight shirt because he is a Euro and the young NHL guys where some stupid **** (Jorts leading the way).
Yes, it is an old story.

The one thing i will say about my friend is that she never lies. Exaggerate? Possibly. Throw in im sure she had heels on and "towering" isnt that far off. She was/is an amazon.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yes, it is an old story.

The one thing i will say about my friend is that she never lies. Exaggerate? Possibly. Throw in im sure she had heels on and "towering" isnt that far off. She was/is an amazon.

Sorry did not mean to imply you were lying. Not intended.

If she had heels on and is 6'+ that gives her 3-4".

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Sorry did not mean to imply you were lying. Not intended.

If she had heels on and is 6'+ that gives her 3-4".
Lol no not taken that way at all. I believe her is what i meant. She also wrote about it on her fb and used the word "tower".

I am 6'1 and i will say when we would go out when she had heels on she towered over me.

Back on topic, i really hope Ville can get his act together. There have been times he has been a third pairing guy on the Hogs and it isnt like he doesnt have talent. He does. He really needs to work, because sooner or later teams will stop calling.

One has to think if its mental with him.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Yet another prospect who like many thousands before him didn’t pan out as hoped and hyped. I’m just rubbernecking at the crash a bit, but driving on.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yet another prospect who like many thousands before him didn’t pan out as hoped and hyped. I’m just rubbernecking at the crash a bit, but driving on.
while i agree with your first sentence, i understand the crap shots that these young men are living. think about it, scouting has only so much to think about let alone oversee the developmental part of their growth.

i find no blame to the org scouting.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Man, Leddy's speed on the back end with some of our young guys sure would be a nice thing to watch right about now. :cry:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Man, Leddy's speed on the back end with some of our young guys sure would be a nice thing to watch right about now. :cry:

Yeah, that was the new core.

Keith -> Leddy
Toews -> Schmaltz
Hossa -> Saad
Sharp -> Panarin
Kane -> Kane

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think he was doing him a favor. CD is most likely to back fill AA after he is moved, I would think.

It's just plain stupidity if you ask me. At a time where Hawks need prospects, no matter how long the odds are that a later draft pick will turn out to be anything positive. Nice guys finish last. Should be yet another tiny nail in Stan's coffin..... or should we once again blame McD for making the call.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
while i agree with your first sentence, i understand the crap shots that these young men are living. think about it, scouting has only so much to think about let alone oversee the developmental part of their growth.

i find no blame to the org scouting.
No amount of testing, scouting and even interviewing can accurately ascertain what’s in the heart, in the head, of these boys...not possible to completely gauge the drive and will to succeed, or the level of performance during the daily grind, let alone under pressure. There always will be failures of high draft picks just like there will be successful undrafted players. Unfortunately, Ville Pokka falls into the very large “failure” category right now, and his chances to advance are rapidly diminishing. Doesn’t make him a bad hockey player though.

In my profession we get to train the “creme de la creme” coming out of residency and into our fellowship..literally two of the top five to ten draft pick equivalents every year based on schooling, testing, accomplishments, and references (from people we personally know and trust). Amazingly, but no longer surprisingly, only about 50% of them (maybe less) would we consider as potential partners, and they stratify pretty quickly. Not hard to see the differences. Not to say that they’re lower tier; they’re still excellent vis a vis their graduating peers , just that they don’t really live up to their “draft” status at our expectation level of daily performance. You really just can’t tell in advance for everyone.

It’s very difficult to live in the 99.x+%ile that enables one to be separated from his/her peers at that level. Most everyone here would love to play hockey like Pokka, and even if he never becomes a full time NHL player he’s already in that 99% category.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
It's just plain stupidity if you ask me. At a time where Hawks need prospects, no matter how long the odds are that a later draft pick will turn out to be anything positive. Nice guys finish last. Should be yet another tiny nail in Stan's coffin..... or should we once again blame McD for making the call.

Trading Pokka for a backfill isnt a bad idea ... I think Stan will move a few 3rd/4th line players for picks and call up DiDo to fill their spots

Wasnt Pokka waived and not picked up by anyone ? If yes then getting anything for Pokka could be seen as a win

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

I mean, you're acting like he had a for sure offer of a pick when nobody knows if that's the case.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Pokka good enough for representing team Finland at worlds,Olympics,world cup
not good enough for crap defensively NHL teams like Isles,Hawks&Sens...okay...

I don't understand why he has not gotten a single look in a single game in the NHL in his 4 years
in north america. poor performance in every single camp? language difficulties? (highly unlikely)
mental issues? is he a bad personality, doesn't perform well during practices?

I just won't accept, that supposedly he just isn't good enough player to play in the N-H-L
(not willing to accept it at the moment :))

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I mean, you're acting like he had a for sure offer of a pick when nobody knows if that's the case.

Nobody said that. It's simple. Ask for a draft pick or walk away. Keep the 23-year-old Pokka and get him some coaching to see if he can make the step. If he doesn't make it, he should make RFD a better team.

If CD somehow is good enough to play in the NHL for Blackhawks and be better than the kids in the Hawks org, I will take it all back... but I'm not holding my breath that that will ever happen

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Pokka good enough for representing team Finland at worlds,Olympics,world cup
not good enough for crap defensively NHL teams like Isles,Hawks&Sens...okay...

I don't understand why he has not gotten a single look in a single game in the NHL in his 4 years
in north america. poor performance in every single camp? language difficulties? (highly unlikely)
mental issues? is he a bad personality, doesn't perform well during practices?

I just won't accept, that supposedly he just isn't good enough player to play in the N-H-L
(not willing to accept it at the moment :))

Skating issues as a prospect when the league is making giant strides towards that being much more important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad