Rumor: Hawks thinking of trading Debrincat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
If the Hawks trade DeBrincat, I'm done for a while. Regardless of the return. This team can't become any more unwatchable, and they somehow would be.

I also think the desire to trade DeBrincat reeks of desperation. A new GM trying to make big waves and put his fingerprints on the team.

How often do teams trading a guy like DeBrincat actually win those trades? What would be a comparable trade, even? Superstars in their early 20's almost never get traded.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If the Hawks trade DeBrincat, I'm done for a while. Regardless of the return. This team can't become any more unwatchable, and they somehow would be.

I also think the desire to trade DeBrincat reeks of desperation. A new GM trying to make big waves and put his fingerprints on the team.

How often do teams trading a guy like DeBrincat actually win those trades? What would be a comparable trade, even? Superstars in their early 20's almost never get traded.
k, bye

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Anyone have a chart by % or some metric to display who Cat played with the most each year?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Do you consider Boston as winning the Joe Thornton trade?

It baffles me some people don't see that as a win.

I guess more accurate would be say Torontos Phil Kessel or Dion Phaneuf trade aways, do you think they won or lost those? The goal was to tank and get Auston Matthews, they did. Now they've won absolutely nothing 6-7 years later, but most teams tanking for #1 win nothing for 7 years. So now it's up for them to finally make that worth it.

If Chicago gets good future assets and are extra terrible this year (and maybe next) with nobody but Kane scoring much... that's step 1 of winning the trade.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Were you against the Sox trading Sale and Quintana? It's the same concept.

Also, lost in the shuffle is that it sounds like the Hawks aren't interested in signing him long-term.

Best comparable is the Phil Kessel offer sheet.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
love cat but if you're going to be bad then you might as well aim to be terrible and maximize his value now, could be the difference between a cup contending core in a few years or being good but not good enough...almost all the cup teams of the past decade plus had at least one 1st overall pick on the team, this team needs to maximize that equity before the pipeline is good and the team will need to transition out of the rebuild

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Do you consider Boston as winning the Joe Thornton trade?

It baffles me some people don't see that as a win.

I guess more accurate would be say Torontos Phil Kessel or Dion Phaneuf trade aways, do you think they won or lost those? The goal was to tank and get Auston Matthews, they did. Now they've won absolutely nothing 6-7 years later, but most teams tanking for #1 win nothing for 7 years. So now it's up for them to finally make that worth it.

If Chicago gets good future assets and are extra terrible this year (and maybe next) with nobody but Kane scoring much... that's step 1 of winning the trade.
I’d say Boston trading Kessel to Toronto was a better example of a team winning a trade where they trade away a star.

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
TBH moving Cat at the deadline just doesn't really do it for me. The teams buying at that point by and large won't be able to put together an enticing enough package (aka high pick). It'll be a quantity over quality thing and for Cat....that ain't it.

Selfishly I hope they don't trade the Cat because not only is he a great player and ambassador for the team...he's also one of the precious few reasons to watch.

That being said, if they do trade him......please be the one doing the fleecing KD.....please.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

Yeah, things are going to get worse before they get better. The band aid should have been ripped off after Bowman freaked the f*** out and traded Panarin and Hammer. The posturing and bullshit that we've put up with since those deals went down has been worse than anything we're going to through during this rebuild bc at least it's a plan. And as I've said before, maybe it won't work out but it is a plan, not desperation.

We have no futures. We have no prospects. As great as DeBrincat is (I love the kid too), we aren't winning anything here for at least the next 4-5 years. His prime years are going to be wasted on this team and his status as a star is just going to help keep us out of the mix for top-3/5 picks.

This team needs a hard reset. Dach isn't a 1C and he's not likely to be one, no one in our pipeline looks like they'll ever be a top-pairing guy. It's much, much harder to find actual stars picking 10th-15th. Burn it down and then build it back up. It's the right move right now.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
love cat but if you're going to be bad then you might as well aim to be terrible and maximize his value now, could be the difference between a cup contending core in a few years or being good but not good enough...almost all the cup teams of the past decade plus had at least one 1st overall pick on the team, this team needs to maximize that equity before the pipeline is good and the team will need to transition out of the rebuild
To further expand on this, of the last 10 Cup winners, only St. Louis didn’t have a former 1st or 2nd overall pick on their roster.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

Definitely get the sentiment but this team is going to blow for like 5 years before it gets any better. Stan Blowman really f***ed this team.

They have nothing.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
DeBrincat is to this team what Amonte was to his past Hawks teams, good player on bad Hawks teams…

Hagel got us four quality assets in return, he was signed player at a very very cap friendly cost
DeBrincat should be able to get the same…as a soon to be RFA who will demand upwards of $8-9 million, much better player than Hagel, but remember TB also received a couple of picks with Hagel

So I’ll be happy if we receive four quality assets in return

Seattle? Philadephia?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
DeBrincat is to this team what Amonte was to his past Hawks teams, good player on bad Hawks teams…

Hagel got us four quality assets in return, he was signed player at a very very cap friendly cost
DeBrincat should be able to get the same…as a soon to be RFA who will demand upwards of $8-9 million, much better player than Hagel, but remember TB also received a couple of picks with Hagel

So I’ll be happy if we receive four quality assets in return

Seattle? Philadephia?
I'm not sure why Seattle would be a player.

That'd be 4th overall + 2023 1st + 2024 1st (lottery protected) + Ryker Evans?

They need to keep their picks and build from the ground up.

Reactions: Sinbad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad