Pre-Game Talk: Hawks @ Kings - 11-2-19 9:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I actually think Kane has been one of the biggest problems with the power play to date. He is not making good decisions with the puck. Keeps forcing that cross-ice pass when everyone knows he is looking for it. Does not shoot when he has a window. Holds the puck too long, allowing the PK to settle. When he does move it, it's because he is already pressured, and his side of the ice is being sealed off. He has been TERRIBLE this year.

He is deciding to try and gain the zone all by himself most of the time, and when he does...none of his teammates are with him, because they had to stop at the blue line. He is not moving up the ice with Gus. He is WAY too far behind him. I'm not sure why Gus doesn't just continue to move up into the zone, or hit one of the other forwards to gain entry, instead of dropping it to Kane. It sure seems it is by design.

Well, I'm glad to see not everyone thinks that Kane can do no wrong. You describe only a part of what is frustrating with his game. Unfortunately, a high percentage of folks look to his point totals first, then ignore the rest.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well, I'm glad to see not everyone thinks that Kane can do no wrong. You describe only a part of what is frustrating with his game. Unfortunately, a high percentage of folks look to his point totals first, then ignore the rest.
....156 point pace..

maybe...maybe some of us just understand Kane is the last player on this team to truly worry about..no matter you say or think, by the end of the year the guy does what he does..

upload_2019-11-2_11-36-51.png

yeah...I would really worry about this guy..it's the other guys that haven't come close to his consistency THROUGHOUT a season deserve the concern.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
/\ Exactly my point. Good scoring stats erase anything that's not right in many a fans eyes.
lol...no because bitching about a guy that has played the exact same way for a decade and won us 3 Cups is the stupidest f***ing thing in the world..by years end he will be the same ppg player he has always been - expecting anything more is again pure stupidity..

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
/\ Exactly my point. Good scoring stats erase anything that's not right in many a fans eyes.

Has a single person here said they are happy with his performance and effort level?

At best people have said at least he hasn’t been as awful as Toews while still saying he needs to not better.

Also, are you seriously concerned about Kane not producing this year coming off 110 point season?
If not then what are you whining about because he’s never been and never going to be a two way player.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Has a single person here said they are happy with his performance and effort level?

At best people have said at least he hasn’t been as awful as Toews while still saying he needs to not better.

Also, are you seriously concerned about Kane not producing this year coming off 110 point season?
I just can't understand some people..

You can complain that he can do more, you can complain he hasn't played well...but trying to call this guy out who lives and breaths hockey and saying he either has no heart for the game or doesn't compete away from the puck after watching him for a decade is f***ing madness..

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I just can't understand some people..

You can complain that he can do more, you can complain he hasn't played well...but trying to call this guy out who lives and breaths hockey and saying he either has no heart for the game or doesn't compete away from the puck after watching him for a decade is ****ing madness..

You just keep checking those scoring stats and you'll be fine.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You just keep checking those scoring stats and you'll be fine.
what stats of his do you want to talk about from 2010? how about 2013? or 2015? what stats of Kane's were you bitching about then?? I am curious to know what stats you have had a problem with from the player held in the same regard as Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin?? He is an OFFENSIVE FORWARD, so please explain what issues/stats you would like to discuss from the player who has played the exact same way for a decade...I will be anxiously awaiting...

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

If not then what are you whining about because he’s never been and never going to be a two way player.

Not in the least. The point totals will always be there.

The concern is the team, and what a single one-dimensional player who can play poorly and still show up on the scoreboard really brings to a team that is rebuilding on the fly.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

The concern is the team, and what a single one-dimensional player who can play poorly and still show up on the scoreboard really brings to a team that is rebuilding on the fly.

Are you suggesting he be traded or scratched?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

so again, you have nothing and just bitching to bitch...got it.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
looking at our power play, the problem has been/now is- it gets forced too much through Kane.

when the power play took off it was because Gus was able to get the puck into the zone and allow Kane to work the far wall where he could either snipe or set up Cat for the one timer - or to Gus to blast shots through. Gus struggling is forcing Kane to have to be the one that yet again has to get the puck in the zone on the power play which should not be his role.

the other issue is when you can't win the damn draw in zone for a power play to allow Kane to set up shop, this team simply has nothing working right now to effectively get the puck back into the o zone to set up the power play. Toews isn't winning faceoffs.. and Gus was that guy and is struggling to gain re-entry into the O zone....there is nobody else that can do that role as Keith is horrible at it.

main problems on the power play are:

Gus struggling which is forcing Kane to play the role of puck carrier/main focus on the power play which he should not be.

We can't win a f***ing face off to keep the damn pp unit in the o-zone..if you can't win offensive zone draws a man up, you will not be successful/have the proper time to set up shop.

Just look at the Caps - they have Carlson dropping bombs from the point..Ovi working the far wall where he can either feast on a one-time or set up Carlson...and a center in Backstrom that wins damn draws..Wilson/Oshie play the net front presence roles as well...but this is why a power play unit works - they have a dman capable of skating the puck in/passing it in like Carlson - have a center that can win draws - have a dman in Carlson that gets shots on net - has a sniper in Ovi feasting one timers - and guys to crash the net to scoop up the loose junk..

Hawks had essentially the same set up last year - Gus was Carlson - Cat/Kane played that Ovi role - Toews was Backstrom - Stome was Oshie..

Not having that Carlson role right now is killing this power play...Gus hasn't been that guy, so now let's see if Boqvist can be that guy because if he can it will free up Kane to do what he does best...

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
Kane is definitely not hitting 100 points by his way of play. I don’t get the defending of him. Sure, he’s never been a two way player but he’s definitely developed more responsibility over the years. Compare him from 2010 and 2015. He plays more like the younger version making poor decisions with the puck.
Responsibility isn’t just going and getting on the back check. It’s making the right decisions with the puck as well and he’s just not doing that at all. He’s forcing passes and shots. It’s like he’s aiming for shin pads. He’s definitely not been an elusive puck handler. He’s killed plenty of plays so far by drawing defenders just to get caught up.

NoHuman

May 31, 2018
Kane is definitely not hitting 100 points by his way of play. I don’t get the defending of him. Sure, he’s never been a two way player but he’s definitely developed more responsibility over the years. Compare him from 2010 and 2015. He plays more like the younger version making poor decisions with the puck.
Responsibility isn’t just going and getting on the back check. It’s making the right decisions with the puck as well and he’s just not doing that at all. He’s forcing passes and shots. It’s like he’s aiming for shin pads. He’s definitely not been an elusive puck handler. He’s killed plenty of plays so far by drawing defenders just to get caught up.

I don’t see people defending him by saying they think he’s playing well this year. Clearly, nobody's saying that. I see people defending him by saying that scapegoating him isn’t productive. He hasn’t been the sole issue on this team. The issue is that- nearly across the board- the returning guys from last year have been far less productive and look anywhere from flat to straight up lost.

Comparing PPG from last year to now:

Toews: 0.99 vs 0.18
Debrincat: 0.93 vs 0.64
Strome: 0.88 vs 0.64
Kane: 1.36 vs 0.82
Gustafsson 0.76 vs 0.36
Keith 0.49 vs 0.18
Seabrook 0.36. vs 0.11

Even Saad, although he clearly looks great and hasn’t been an issue, is technically below the pace from last year 0.57 vs .45 ppg. Shaw, while not a returning player, went from 0.75 to .27.

Unless it's just that all these guys suddenly don’t give a shit or up and forgot how to play hockey in 1 offseason, it also seems like the system is part of the problem.

Reactions: Dividejoy

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So our top line
is now

BS / One Shot /Johnny an Even
= -3 / -5 / 0
= 5+2+ 5 = 12 combined points
The opps are shaking on terror at facing this juggernaut...

2nd line is the KKK trio...politically incorrect.

3rd line is Caligula /Kraft Dinner/ Mr.Penalty

4th line is:

Cat /Worker of the Wood / Stormy

L.A. will get torched.. it not sure if it will be from these lines...

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
I don’t see people defending him by saying they think he’s playing well this year. Clearly, nobody's saying that. I see people defending him by saying that scapegoating him isn’t productive. He hasn’t been the sole issue on this team. The issue is that- nearly across the board- the returning guys from last year have been far less productive and look anywhere from flat to straight up lost.

Comparing PPG from last year to now:

Toews: 0.99 vs 0.18
Debrincat: 0.93 vs 0.64
Strome: 0.88 vs 0.64
Kane: 1.36 vs 0.82
Gustafsson 0.76 vs 0.36
Keith 0.49 vs 0.18
Seabrook 0.36. vs 0.11

Even Saad, although he clearly looks great and hasn’t been an issue, is technically below the pace from last year 0.57 vs .45 ppg. Shaw, while not a returning player, went from 0.75 to .27.

Unless it's just that all these guys suddenly don’t give a **** or up and forgot how to play hockey in 1 offseason, it also seems like the system is part of the problem.
I agree. I don’t believe Kane is the problem, I would just say his play has been lackluster. While he shouldn’t be scapegoated for the issues the team is having I personally feel it would the be opportunity to be an igniter to help turn things around which he’s clearly capable of. I don’t know if there’s a lack of interest or anything at all. There’s plenty of things I would be unhappy about before I’d go talking about Kane’s play I would say it’s more of a disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad