Pre-Game Talk: Hawks @ Kings - 11-2-19 9:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I can see the both of them getting a place together down the road. Boqvist can help rescue Dach from Seabrook's basement.
8e2eed0f33775410a50d519e97f120d68102ef20.gifv

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Blackhawks power play units per Powers
1: Keith, Strome, Kane, DeBrincat, Shaw
2: Boqvist, Nylander, Kubalik, Toews, Dach

I think they got those number switched... Unit 2 will BY FAR be the better unit.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It will get into the zone how?

Boqvist? Dach? Nylander? I'm confused. You have 3 guys that can carry the puck and gain the zone. What's the issue?

Know what we'll watch with PP unit #1? A lost faceoff, and a clear by the opposition. Then, Keith picking the puck up behind the net, skating it up to the center line, and, even if he's not challenged, he'll drop the puck back to Kane. Who will be at the Hawks' blue line, if that. Then he will skate the puck up into 4 PK defenders, with Strome and DeBrincat standing still at the opposing blue line. There, he will end up losing the puck, or having to chip it in. With not a single Blackhawk forward in sight or moving into the zone. Yes, I'm Nostradamus.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I actually think Kane has been one of the biggest problems with the power play to date. He is not making good decisions with the puck. Keeps forcing that cross-ice pass when everyone knows he is looking for it. Does not shoot when he has a window. Holds the puck too long, allowing the PK to settle. When he does move it, it's because he is already pressured, and his side of the ice is being sealed off. He has been TERRIBLE this year.

He is deciding to try and gain the zone all by himself most of the time, and when he does...none of his teammates are with him, because they had to stop at the blue line. He is not moving up the ice with Gus. He is WAY too far behind him. I'm not sure why Gus doesn't just continue to move up into the zone, or hit one of the other forwards to gain entry, instead of dropping it to Kane. It sure seems it is by design.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Since the format change in 2016, the field has won more often than the bottom 3.

2016: 1st retained, 6th to 2nd, 4th to 3rd

2017: 5th to 1st, 13th to 2nd, 8th to 3rd

2018: 1st retained, 11th to 2nd, 4th to 3rd

2019: 3rd to 1st, 5th to 2nd, 10th to 3rd

Reactions: Muffinalt

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Since the format change in 2016, the field has won more often than the bottom 3.

2016: 1st retained, 6th to 2nd, 4th to 3rd

2017: 5th to 1st, 13th to 2nd, 8th to 3rd

2018: 1st retained, 11th to 2nd, 4th to 3rd

2019: 3rd to 1st, 5th to 2nd, 10th to 3rd

Oh I am talking about actual team results. I get what you are saying.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Boqvist? Dach? Nylander? I'm confused. You have 3 guys that can carry the puck and gain the zone. What's the issue?

Know what we'll watch with PP unit #1? A lost faceoff, and a clear by the opposition. Then, Keith picking the puck up behind the net, skating it up to the center line, and, even if he's not challenged, he'll drop the puck back to Kane. Who will be at the Hawks' blue line, if that. Then he will skate the puck up into 4 PK defenders, with Strome and DeBrincat standing still at the opposing blue line. There, he will end up losing the puck, or having to chip it in. With not a single Blackhawk forward in sight or moving into the zone. Yes, I'm Nostradamus.

More likely a grainy VCR.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
They might be the 2nd unit only in name(if that, even). Maybe that's just the order they ran in during practice. JC could toss either one of them over the boards to start. I'm interested to see how it plays out.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
They might be the 2nd unit only in name(if that, even). Maybe that's just the order they ran in during practice. JC could toss either one of them over the boards to start. I'm interested to see how it plays out.

Is it possible that Kane may be the “problem”? He’s so dominant with the puck, and so offensively smart, that other high skill players may be pulled out of being directly involved in the play build up, and/or may think they need to overdo it to match Kane’s skill level, and/or may be incorrectly anticipating his moves.

Meanwhile, lesser skilled players aren’t really used to being as involved in the buildup and are just kind of predictably there, which allows Kane to know exactly how to play off them and use them.

Kane has historically had pretty darn good success with what are essentially third liners. Is that because they just know their role and play it, while skill guys think they need to try and elevate themselves to Kane’s level and end up throwing off their own game by doing so?

Just a wild drunk thought, feel free to rip it if it’s bullshit.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I actually think Kane has been one of the biggest problems with the power play to date. He is not making good decisions with the puck. Keeps forcing that cross-ice pass when everyone knows he is looking for it. Does not shoot when he has a window. Holds the puck too long, allowing the PK to settle. When he does move it, it's because he is already pressured, and his side of the ice is being sealed off. He has been TERRIBLE this year.

He is deciding to try and gain the zone all by himself most of the time, and when he does...none of his teammates are with him, because they had to stop at the blue line. He is not moving up the ice with Gus. He is WAY too far behind him. I'm not sure why Gus doesn't just continue to move up into the zone, or hit one of the other forwards to gain entry, instead of dropping it to Kane. It sure seems it is by design.

I actually thought the same last year at the beginning of the year and was thinking Kane should be off the PP because the other players were using him as a security blanket and just deferring.

But I changed my mind. Kane has a great shot. What he needs is his teammates to give him options and that's when he's strongest as he makes the right choices and is unpredictable. For whatever reason that is not happening this year.

Also Toews has been super weak behind the net and on puck battles during the PP so that is hemming Kane in. The clears are way, way to easy. They just have to pressure the Hawks a bit and they fold.

I actually think the problem with Gus is the other teams scouted him on the PP and they know he is a poor defender and can give up shorties which I think happened in the preseason and I think the regular season too. So now he's trying to be a bit more conservative and it is killing his game.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Is it possible that Kane may be the “problem”? He’s so dominant with the puck, and so offensively smart, that other high skill players may be pulled out of being directly involved in the play build up, and/or may think they need to overdo it to match Kane’s skill level, and/or may be incorrectly anticipating his moves.

Meanwhile, lesser skilled players aren’t really used to being as involved in the buildup and are just kind of predictably there, which allows Kane to know exactly how to play off them and use them.

Kane has historically had pretty darn good success with what are essentially third liners. Is that because they just know their role and play it, while skill guys think they need to try and elevate themselves to Kane’s level and end up throwing off their own game by doing so?

Just a wild drunk thought, feel free to rip it if it’s bull****.

I agree with this to a certain extent but not on the PP, more at even strength. Obviously we saw what Kane can do with a similarly skilled Panarin who was as good shooting as he was setting up. But I also think that other not so super skilled/with a lesser shot players just defer to him way too much, while at the same time not doing the dirty work necessary. So the lines are too predictable and get hemmed in.

It's why I'm excited he's now playing with Kampf. Kampf can be a strong possession player, will forcing battles everywhere, opening more space up for Kane so he can do his thing. I wouldve preferred Saad with them (Saad - Kampf is a mean unit) so Kane can be a rich mans Kubalik on that line, but this is good too. Let's see how it goes.

I also liked Toews with Kane last year coz he doesnt defer to him as much as others but that's not really an option now sadly.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
.......oh crap.....just realized/remembered something...... i can't make threads right now, not allowed (have too many warnings).
Can't remember when the ban is over. - 100 $ hint: don't publicly criticize the mods of their actions... they don't like it.

I guess someone gotta take over, Rooh made the 5-1 W over the Kings thread, so...he can have this game, pass it on please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad