Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews has had Hyman stuck to him for every game for his entire career thus far.
And supporting casts? I thought Buffalo was "Years" ahead of the Leafs?

You think the Sabres are years ahead of the Leafs?

Then why are the Leafs in the playoffs and the Sabres at the bottom of the standings?

Reactions: TheMule93

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
They did it for Kessel actually.

When did Kessel not speaking to the media during the playoffs?

It's certainly news to Randy Carlyle, who was his coach, that the team "schedules days off from the media"

"It's the players' responsibility and it's our organization's responsibility to make sure everybody is available to the media," Carlyle said. "It's spelled out in training camp, it's spelled out on a day-to-day basis that when you're called upon, you're to be made available, simple as that. That's what we support."

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Struggled might be a strong word. He’s definitely been a non factor though wether it be in the scoresheet or from physical play. Invisible in both counts.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Never in the playoffs. But there isn't exactly a big sample size in the past 14 years.
You can't compare Toronto to other markets. this was 100% the call of Leafs management. Not Matthews call. They did not like the negative spin the media put on his interview in game 2.
If Matthews was in San Jose I am sure he'd speak to the media. You just can't compare it to other markets.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
The leafs have been terrible. Its not just matthews. I'm surprised he hasn't been able to put the team on his shoulders a bit though.

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
The leafs have been terrible. Its not just matthews. I'm surprised he hasn't been able to put the team on his shoulders a bit though.

It has been a rough series for mostly everyone (except marner) for sure. No clutch performers. D has been abysmal and freddy hasn’t been the difference maker overall.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
It has been a rough series for mostly everyone (except marner) for sure. No clutch performers. D has been abysmal and freddy hasn’t been the difference maker overall.
100%.
Boston hasn't been very good. The leafs are just terrible right now and look exhausted

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010

It's certainly news to Randy Carlyle, who was his coach, that the team "schedules days off from the media"

"It's the players' responsibility and it's our organization's responsibility to make sure everybody is available to the media," Carlyle said. "It's spelled out in training camp, it's spelled out on a day-to-day basis that when you're called upon, you're to be made available, simple as that. That's what we support."

Wow a post displaying Carlyle as a competent sane individual. Thank you!

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Strange.
I thought that Bergeron played most of game 3 against Plekanec and that he didn't dress up for game 4 at all.

If the Bergeron-argument doesn't work ... let's point out Chara. Gets trashed all the time that he doesn't bring it anymore. But he's assumably good enough of an excuse for Matthews' pathetic performance so far.

I also read some posts earlier that Matthews has to face a good goalie. :help:

Or maybe he's just injured ...

Some people should stop excusing and justifying his bad play. During the last 2 seasons there have been tons of threads in which Maathews got a ridicilous amount of praise. Yeah, he is a great player and will become better. But he is not a generational player. He is also not in McDavid's tier. But some people talk about him like he is the Great One himself.
But now he is excused because of tough match-ups? Come on ...
Every top-player draws the toughest match-ups. And even the Bergeron-line in combination with Chara is beatable like history has shown.

I'm a Sens fan rooting for the Bruins in the playoffs. Matthews absolutely has to be better, he had no excuse for Game 4. Game 3 he was noticeable because the Leafs controlled the matchup and got Bergeron off his back.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Never in the playoffs. But there isn't exactly a big sample size in the past 14 years.
You can't compare Toronto to other markets. this was 100% the call of Leafs management. Not Matthews call. They did not like the negative spin the media put on his interview in game 2.
If Matthews was in San Jose I am sure he'd speak to the media. You just can't compare it to other markets.

Cool, please indicate where the Leafs stated that they decided he shouldn't speak to the media and also please point out that the management didn't like the negative spin the media put on his interview in Game 2.

Also, if you could, I'd love to know why the Leafs made this choice and yet have let him take the heat for it if it was there call. Seems really counter productive to pull him from the media cause they don't like the spin of things and then let him get roasted for blowing off the media. I'd love for you to explain that because you seem to have a lot of insight into the inner workings of the MLSE media relations department.

Thanks!

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Chara is slow though. And the Leafs have gotten to him in this series.
I think Rielly has been better than any Boston Dman.

Lollllll oh Leaf fans and you wonder why your the most hated fanbase. Take off your Leaf tinted glasses for once in your life and realize how ridiculous that statement is. Reilly has been horrible, Mcquad has been more impressive, Krug has been more impressive, Chara has been more impressive.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
You think the Sabres are years ahead of the Leafs?

Then why are the Leafs in the playoffs and the Sabres at the bottom of the standings?

Because when you're closer to a 1st overalls, you'll get more HFboards Street-Cred, with HF street-cred you can say your better cause your ceiling is higher and you can stand up taller to other play-off teams that get bounced from the 1st round.

Everyone knows it's about unproven 1st overalls. Juice baby, JUICE!

tenor.gif

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
No, 14 years, probably going to be 15.

It's 2018, last series win was in 2004. That's 14 years.

The soonest time you can win a series if you don't win this year is 2019.

Meaning if you lose this series, it's a MINIMUM of 15 years until you win.

Basic math.

And thanks for reminding me, I'm not putting the team down, we're not talking about the Sabres.

Interesting you claim the Leafs went through 2 rebuilds but were still in our first......no if the Leafs had 2, then we have had 2 as well. Since Murray/Bylsma/Kane/Lehner regime is out and now we have Boterill-Houusley-Mittlestadt (Our top pick this year) and whoever our new goalie is in.

I mean if it is your 2nd rebuild, because you made the playoffs in 2013? ( I don't disagree that it's your 2nd rebuild but if those are the factors then its our 2nd to) Because after finishing with 21 wins, when we got Eichel in 2015-16 we almost doubled our wins in the first season.....the team similarly had a peak in 15-16 finishing around .500 which is CLOSE to what you guys did in 2013 when playing Boston, so if you had two rebuilds, this is our 2nd one and we are in our 2nd year this upcoming season.

If we get a goalie, (we have two good prospects in Goal) and our regulars aren't signed so we will, a healthy Eichel, (two freak injuries, not injury prone in the basic way so we should) then with the influx of Mittlestadt, Ghule, Nylander (he COULD be ok) added to Reinhart, Risto, Scandella ROR, and then our TOP pick this year. (Hopefully Dahlin) there could be a dramatic difference in 18-19.

Look at the Avs, they barely changed and they improved from 48 pts to 95 with Jared Bednar in his 2nd year.

So if the Avs without changing much can do that with there coach, why can't we when we will be adding significant pieces.

We fired the coach and GM, it's obviously going to take time to get it together, and it's been a long time I know.

Housley in his 2nd year has no excuse now because the system is in place.

Don't count your chickens so soon about the Sabres being terrible next year. I think we will be bad compared to the average team but not a joke like this year.

Don't expect playoffs, but don't expect bottom 5 either. Who knows. Anyway this isn't about the Sabres just thought I'd clear that up.

My god, every time I write anything about the Leafs, a Leaf fan has to be childish and go "SABRES...EICHEL"

If you can talk trash on our team, expect it back.

It's highly deserved after hearing about how your team was going to compete for a cup. And I'm not even bashing the team in a "HAHA, LEAFS SUCK" way, just pointing out certain facts.
It's not 2019. It's 2018. 2018-2004 is 14. Don't teach if you don't understands.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I haven't been able to watch this series much, but isn't Matthews being matched up against Bergeron and/or Chara? In other words, one of the best matchup centres of all time and one of the best shutdown D of all time?

Tough matchups have made better players than Matthews look bad. And there is no tougher matchup in the game than Bergerons line.
Well prior to the start of the series it was said that Toronto's speed was going to cause Chara a lot of issues. He's looked great thus far

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
He was actually labelled for life 1 game into his career by Leaf fans as "generational"

They were excited. Can’t blame them. It just feels stupid to write him off this quickly. And using the media avoidance feels like a lazy narrative.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They were excited. Can’t blame them. It just feels stupid to write him off this quickly. And using the media avoidance feels like a lazy narrative.

Who's writing him off. Hfboards sees Matthews as exactly what he is, a top 30ish player in the league. Those types of players shouldn't be expected to dominate in the playoffs or anywhere else. He's merely good, and when your merely good but your fanbase thinks your the best player since Gretzky it might look like he's being underrated when in reality he's being rated accurately.

Reactions: karnige

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Who's writing him off. Hfboards sees Matthews as exactly what he is, a top 30ish player in the league. Those types of players shouldn't be expected to dominate in the playoffs or anywhere else. He's merely good, and when your merely good but your fanbase thinks your the best player since Gretzky it might look like he's being underrated when in reality he's being rated accurately.
Can we stop this garbage?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Cool, please indicate where the Leafs stated that they decided he shouldn't speak to the media and also please point out that the management didn't like the negative spin the media put on his interview in Game 2.

Also, if you could, I'd love to know why the Leafs made this choice and yet have let him take the heat for it if it was there call. Seems really counter productive to pull him from the media cause they don't like the spin of things and then let him get roasted for blowing off the media. I'd love for you to explain that because you seem to have a lot of insight into the inner workings of the MLSE media relations department.

Thanks!
Pure 100% speculation on my part. I have 0 proof. But the fact is he did get criticized a lot in Toronto for his comments. I am willing to bet the Leafs pulled the plug on him speaking. they have spent the past 2 years barely letting him speak to the media, so it is a safe assumption.
How many times was Kadri the only guy speaking on behalf of the Leafs since Matthews entered the NHL?

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
You hinestly think Chara and Mcavoy have been better? Rielly outside of Marner has been their best player.

Chara and mcavoy have been a lot better than Reilly, have you been watching the games in a different universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad