Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I didn't remember seeing that in your post. So if that's what you meant and you figured I was a mind-reader, then it's not my problem. (If infact you didn't say it)

I was speaking in general when I quoted you, I wasn't even referring to YOU, in my original response I quoted you but I wasn't talking to you, I was generalizing in a "This better not be the excuse now" type of way.

But with what you suggested is possible, that avenue never entered my mind, partly because you didn't say it...not that I rememeber anyway.

If it's there, then my bad.

You didn't read the thread then. Since we talked about it in several posts afterwards. Next time just read the responses before going on a rant. Also, everyone else got the meaning. You're literally the only one who didn't get it. I wonder why that is. :sarcasm:

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
He has

Game 3 was the only game he was actually noticed and that’s because he got lucky and scored off a lucky bounce. But he’s against the best two-way forward of all time.

Strange.
I thought that Bergeron played most of game 3 against Plekanec and that he didn't dress up for game 4 at all.

If the Bergeron-argument doesn't work ... let's point out Chara. Gets trashed all the time that he doesn't bring it anymore. But he's assumably good enough of an excuse for Matthews' pathetic performance so far.

I also read some posts earlier that Matthews has to face a good goalie. :help:

Or maybe he's just injured ...

Some people should stop excusing and justifying his bad play. During the last 2 seasons there have been tons of threads in which Maathews got a ridicilous amount of praise. Yeah, he is a great player and will become better. But he is not a generational player. He is also not in McDavid's tier. But some people talk about him like he is the Great One himself.
But now he is excused because of tough match-ups? Come on ...
Every top-player draws the toughest match-ups. And even the Bergeron-line in combination with Chara is beatable like history has shown.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
If its Chara and McAvoy doing there job on Matthews we were all told by fans that Chara was washed up years ago, slow as mud. Who is getting the last laugh now.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If its Chara and McAvoy doing there job on Matthews we were all told by fans that Chara was washed up years ago, slow as mud. Who is getting the last laugh now.
Chara is slow though. And the Leafs have gotten to him in this series.
I think Rielly has been better than any Boston Dman.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Reilly has been burned a lot, total non factor deciding games. Chara would be your best deeman, not sure any of the Leafs dee make Boston top 3, maybe Reilly as a 4th, well behind Chara, Krug and even McAvoy. Matthews should have played major junior instead of the big ice game in the US and Europe, never learned how to struggle in tight spaces or a tough long season on the buses, things came too easy to him, soon to be a coyote.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Reilly has been burned a lot, total non factor deciding games. Chara would be your best deeman, not sure any of the Leafs dee make Boston top 3, maybe Reilly as a 4th, well behind Chara, Krug and even McAvoy. Matthews should have played major junior instead of the big ice game in the US and Europe, never learned how to struggle in tight spaces or a tough long season on the buses, things came too easy to him, soon to be a coyote.
In game 3 he was.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
/\ WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP BRINGING UP EICHEL???????

Brings up Eichel consistently when people have not done so themselves.

Probably because several Leaf fans scoff at the notion that Eichel is a comparable player to Matthews and pretend that Matthews is somehow on another level and closer to McDavid than Eichel? Seems pretty obvious why he's being brought up.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
One game in four and he is better then any Bruin deeman, thank the posts for the Leafs winning that game and Anderson/Marner
You hinestly think Chara and Mcavoy have been better? Rielly outside of Marner has been their best player.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Probably because several Leaf fans scoff at the notion that Eichel is a comparable player to Matthews and pretend that Matthews is somehow on another level and closer to McDavid than Eichel? Seems pretty obvious why he's being brought up.
In fairness. Leaf fans posts all stats which sow clearly Matthews is better than Eichel.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Management determines media availability and always have here. Some guys have scheduled days off from media scrums. Don’t know if this is what happened though.

When have the Maple Leafs "scheduled days off" from media scrums for guys?

Can you cite a single time in the history of playoff hockey that the Maple Leafs have scheduled a "day off" for one of their players from talking to the press?

This is a total fabrication.

Reactions: theblackadder

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

So what's keeping Matthews off the score sheet then? I thought Leafs said his game was built for the playoffs?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
In fairness. Leaf fans posts all stats which sow clearly Matthews is better than Eichel.

In fairness, if you compare the supporting casts, it's difficult, at best, to determine who is better than who. These two guys are both tremendous hockey players with very high ceilings. Saying one is clearly better than the other right now is, in my opinion, totally ridiculous. Even stupider is pretending that either one of them is anywhere close to the level of Connor McDavid who is a whole other beast.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So what's keeping Matthews off the score sheet then? I thought Leafs said his game was built for the playoffs?
Leafs fans said that because Matthews had a great playoff series against Washington last season.
Morgan Rielly continues to get underrated on here. He's clearly a #1 D.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
In fairness, if you compare the supporting casts, it's difficult, at best, to determine who is better than who. These two guys are both tremendous hockey players with very high ceilings. Saying one is clearly better than the other right now is, in my opinion, totally ridiculous. Even stupider is pretending that either one of them is anywhere close to the level of Connor McDavid who is a whole other beast.
Matthews has had Hyman stuck to him for every game for his entire career thus far.
And supporting casts? I thought Buffalo was "Years" ahead of the Leafs?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
When have the Maple Leafs "scheduled days off" from media scrums for guys?

Can you cite a single time in the history of playoff hockey that the Maple Leafs have scheduled a "day off" for one of their players from talking to the press?

This is a total fabrication.
They did it for Kessel actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad