Confirmed with Link: Hartman and 5th to Preds for Ejdsell, 1st and 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Roles were kind of reversed for us this year, and we were left to just sorta tie up some loose ends because we set ourselves up to be in a contending position months ago. It leaves us looking like we didn't do a lot at the deadline, but that's because we did in November.

I would argue the Turris move is actually better for the team since it happened back in November. That's 4 months of allowing an important piece to mesh within the system. In my opinion that's one of the problems with acquiring a top 6 piece so late in the season as it doesn't offer the team a lot of time to play around with line combos, players to get accustomed to each other, etc.

This doesn't even account for the fact that since he wasn't racing towards a trade deadline Poile was allowed sufficient time to not only work out the deal with the teams but also work out an extension with the Turris camp. That puts this way over the top any typical deadline rental.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
You guys who keep yapping about how "we should have gone for player x", do you know something the rest of us don't know? Do you know Poile didn't have any negotiations regarding these players? For crying out loud, it's not a matter of who we just choose to pick. They're called negotiations for a reason and we were not the only team after those guys.

Looking at the price Vegas paid for Tatar, I wish we had got him, but maybe Poile didn't want to take that contract. Maybe we could fit him just fine, idk, I haven't made any calculations, so prove this point wrong if you wish, it's just one possible reason.

Vanek? He could have been good competitor for Smith. Maybe it was the price (rental status considered of course) that made Hartman more enticing option? Or maybe Vancouver GM just didn't like what Poile offered him and you know, just decided not to make a deal with us, but CBJ instead.

My point being; we complain about Poile overpaying for Hartman, but at the same time we complain Poile didn't top any of the other offers for other players. Maybe he valued this overpayment more than what the other deals would have required. Or the other GMs hung up when Tolvanen (or maybe Fabbro) wasn't available.

However you look at it, we have two good top lines, and moving forward we have a Salomaki 2.0 with upside in Hartman for several years. We have longevity throughout our lineup for the next few years while our window is open. Not commiting to say Tatar contract, we keep an option to go for a rental goalie in the following years should Rinne suddenly regress a lot.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
GH, you make good points but most folks aren't capable (or willing) in the initial emotional response moment to look beyond the next 3-4 months. Poile is trying to build something sustainable and not just for this postseason. I'm talking about throwing away 1sts for rentals that may not pan out or for contracts that don't fit 2-3 years from now. He's also likely near retirement so knowing that he's building a foundation where his replacement doesn't have to enter into a disaster is a huge plus in my opinion.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Hey, at least Hartman is pretty photogenic

ryanhartmanenergy.jpg

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I think you guys are selling tartar short. Everyone has opinions and my opinion is the preds would of been a better team with tartar.

Oh trust me, I totally agree with this. I'd rather have Tatar than Hartman. My point was that Tatar and Stastny, while they improve the teams they went to, aren't game breakers that we suddenly have to gameplan for and start losing sleep over.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Doesn't Tatar have 3more years at 5.3? That third year would hurt us when we have Josi and Ellis coming up for new contracts in the next two years

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I would argue the Turris move is actually better for the team since it happened back in November. That's 4 months of allowing an important piece to mesh within the system. In my opinion that's one of the problems with acquiring a top 6 piece so late in the season as it doesn't offer the team a lot of time to play around with line combos, players to get accustomed to each other, etc.

This doesn't even account for the fact that since he wasn't racing towards a trade deadline Poile was allowed sufficient time to not only work out the deal with the teams but also work out an extension with the Turris camp. That puts this way over the top any typical deadline rental.
I totally agree that it was better to do it when we did rather than at the deadline, I was just saying it seems that across the league a trade like that typically happens around the TDL unless it's an off-season one.

Reactions: LCPreds

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
GH, you make good points but most folks aren't capable (or willing) in the initial emotional response moment to look beyond the next 3-4 months. Poile is trying to build something sustainable and not just for this postseason. I'm talking about throwing away 1sts for rentals that may not pan out or for contracts that don't fit 2-3 years from now. He's also likely near retirement so knowing that he's building a foundation where his replacement doesn't have to enter into a disaster is a huge plus in my opinion.
Well, I have to admit my initial reaction was "Just Hartman? That's it?!" too :laugh:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Never said unbeatable. But they got a proven 20 goal scorer with less talent on there team for a 1st 2nd and 3rd. And the picks are spread out through 3 years. Prior to this year he has been in the top 3 in points for the red wings the last 3 years. Players not named Zetterberg or datsyuk, tartar has been there best point producer. I think you guys are selling tartar short. Everyone has opinions and my opinion is the preds would of been a better team with tartar. I wouldn't be upset that tartar is gonna take starts away for sissions Watson or hartnell like Hartman is.

If we're going to keep talking about Tatar can we at least not spell his name in a way that makes me think of either a fish sandwich or dental hygiene?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Had a night to ponder. I think the key here is a locked in, young core. I put this in the trade forum, too.

I'm perfectly fine with using a late 1st on the RFA Hartman. He'll replace Hartnell going into next season.

The core is set for a few years now. We'll have to get Ellis under contract during next season and Josi within two seasons. Johansen, Forsberg, Arvidsson, Turris, Subban, and Ekholm are locked in for a long time. Rinne is the only wildcard as he is up at the end of next season (that $7 mil contract the Preds got trashed for doesn't look all that bad). Future is bright.

Reactions: Nashvols

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Look at what people paid for rentals, all TDL are overpays compared to the off season. your window is 2-3 years and you will have him for the whole time. would rather have stasny for just this year Hypothetically. Does he project as a top 6 on ST winning team (no but he does score 5X5 goals) he also draws a lot of penalties. People complain about dumb ones he takes but I'm sure that is also why he draws so many. Edsell and the 30th pick were not going to help you the next 2 years. How many 30th picks score 30 5X5 goals there 1st 2 seasons? Can anybody tell me how edsell is doing this year in the SHL. all the video and write ups were from the lower tier and prospect camp.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Stastny was never going to be a thing for the Preds. Where in the world would we slot him into the lineup right now? We already have enough centers that we actually put an all center line on the ice at one point.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
It's like you're speaking Chinese right now. Is this English?

Unless I misread the post above mine he mentioned preferring one year of Stastny over the deal we made for Hartman.

Where would he fit on the Preds?
We have too many centers as it stands now.
So many in fact that we actually had an all center line at one point (Jarnkrok, Bonino, Sissons).
And that's before the Preds added Fisher.

Does that help?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Unless I misread the post above mine he mentioned preferring one year of Stastny over the deal we made for Hartman.

Where would he fit on the Preds?
We have too many centers as it stands now.
So many in fact that we actually had an all center line at one point (Jarnkrok, Bonino, Sissons).
And that's before the Preds added Fisher.

Does that help?
lol sorry for the confusion. I was just being sarcastic about us being historically weak at center and then the real irony that we could barely even got Stastny in now because of an excess of centers. It's like hearing that is another language.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Ran across this nugget on Hartman (from the Athletic- highly recommended, by the way, worth the $$). A lot of talk on here about this trade both pro and con, but this is coming from a neutral, unbiased source:

"His 1.95 points-per-60 at 5 on 5 was third on the Blackhawks and 85th in the league, a first line rate.

That is higher than Derick Brassard (1.86), Patrick Maroon (1.80), Rick Nash (1.79), Michael Grabner (1.78), Evander Kane (1.47) and Tomas Tatar (1.01).

Of the forwards added before the deadline, Hartman is second only to Paul Stastny in scoring efficiency . Many were highly skeptical about the price it took to acquire him, but Hartman looks like a really nice get, a guy who has performed exceptionally well in low minutes, is just 23 and under team control for a few years. He will give the bottom six some real nice scoring punch and provides a lot of value when he plays."

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
lol sorry for the confusion. I was just being sarcastic about us being historically weak at center and then the real irony that we could barely even got Stastny in now because of an excess of centers. It's like hearing that is another language.

Seriously! Hopefully we're not complaining about needing to trade a center for a top-4 d man in a few years.

Reactions: FierceFalcon

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Seriously! Hopefully we're not complaining about needing to trade a center for a top-4 d man in a few years.
Here's looking at you, Ellis.....

To DRW's point, that's why I wonder why Quenneville was under-utilizing him this year. He scored 19 as a 22 year old then he immediately goes to the doghouse. I don't know the inner workings of what the Hawks have been doing but it just seems.....odd. Hartman has to have more value than this year's stats show, and the stats that you just showed might help back that up a little bit at least.

Reactions: Gh24

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Stastny was never going to be a thing for the Preds. Where in the world would we slot him into the lineup right now? We already have enough centers that we actually put an all center line on the ice at one point.

I picked Statsney as a example. they paid the same for a 3rd line rental as you paid for one that you have 4 years of control is my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad