Confirmed with Link: Hartman and 5th to Preds for Ejdsell, 1st and 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Gotta wonder if breaking 2 new players in on the night you are playing the team you are fighting for first in the division is a smart move.

I thought it was said Fish probably wouldn't play until Thursday. I'd get Hartman in tomorrow.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I thought it was said Fish probably wouldn't play until Thursday. I'd get Hartman in tomorrow.

That was said previously, but in his post deadline presser, Poile said Fisher was "good to go" and that he might make it in tomorrow. He said either way, two healthy forwards would be sitting for the Winnipeg game.

Last edited:

You

Jul 1, 2010
Would have hoped Hartman would have posted at least 50 goals after playing 5000 PP1 minutes with Kane last year

Reactions: FierceFalcon

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Cool. I said some people. I didn't say most and I didn't say everyone that wasn't in favor of the trade had no reason. Not sure why you felt offended, or personally called out. Given who I've been responding to in this thread, I think it's pretty clear who the intended target of my statement was.
Let's hope Hartman picks less fights than Morty, or we're going to be seriously shorthanded.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Let's hope Hartman picks less fights than Morty, or we're going to be seriously shorthanded.

Well, you don't go shorthanded for a fight :). And he draws more penalties than he takes, which, as it turns out, is indeed tracked by the NHL. Apology accepted.

Let's hope he knows much more about hockey than you. :)

Reactions: FierceFalcon

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Well, you don't go shorthanded for a fight :). And he draws more penalties than he takes, which, as it turns out, is indeed tracked by the NHL. Apology accepted.
And who draws the penalty when there is a fighting penalty? You said after every penalty it is "announced" who drew the penalty. I provided several examples when it's not. Glad to be of service. And yes it is subjective where credit is due... I don't give Rinne "credit" when he "draws" a goaltender interference penalty. Just like individual players don't deserve any credit for at least half the penalties called.

Maybe the dude the draw some penalties, but he definitely takes some bad ones.

Hopefully he can fit it in, but it seems like over payment. Would have preferred E Kane at lesser cost. Just my opinion.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Pros:

He'll be with us long-term. He'll be a great fit in the bottom-6 going forward.

If he'll replace Salomaki then in terms of penalties it's a win for us since Salo takes a lot of penalties but doesn't draw them.

Has scored 19 goals and has shown the ability to be a 30-35p guy in the bottom-6.

It doesn't put us over the top. Pro? Yes. We all saw what the Jets did and to me it was pretty similar to what the Wild did last year and it didn't end well for them. We didn't disrupt our chemistry, we created competition.

We have Fisher and Hartnell in our bottom-6 who are old and injury-prone so this kind of depth is never a bad thing. Injuries happen and players slump.

Cons:

The value probably is okay, I don't value Ejdsell that much plus he would've never made our roster anyways we're stacked at C.

The late 1st is usually a mystery and Hartman is young, former 1st-rounder. But still, our cupboard is bare we could've used a prospect.

The problem for me is, that the price is hefty for a player who might even get scratched at some point. We have no holes in our bottom-6 and we have already decent depth there.

Hartman is also not a guy who can come in to top-6 and replace injuries. I don't think we have a guy that can unless Tolvanen can but I'm not holding my breath. But like it has been said, you do not improve your injured team you improve your healthy team.

Bottom-line is this, if Hartman can become a offensive bottom-6'er with ability to play in the top-6 from time to time (and that is what is expected from him right now) and if Hartman can be an upgrade over Sissons, Watson then I like this deal, the value is there. But with that price I feel like we could've gotten a better upgrade on our team.

Last edited:

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
And who draws the penalty when there is a fighting penalty? You said after every penalty it is "announced" who drew the penalty. I provided several examples when it's not. Glad to be of service. And yes it is subjective where credit is due... I don't give Rinne "credit" when he "draws" a goaltender interference penalty. Just like individual players don't deserve any credit for at least half the penalties called.

Maybe the dude the draw some penalties, but he definitely takes some bad ones.

Well a fight counts as both a drawn and taken penalty, so it has no effect on penalty differential, which is a +7 for Hartman. I don't care about "deserve". The fact is, more penalties were committed against Hartman than he took according to the NHL and the refs. I'm gonna go with them on this one.

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Well a fight counts as both a drawn and taken penalty, so it has no effect on penalty differential, which is a +7 for Hartman. I don't care about "deserve". The fact is, more penalties were committed against Hartman than he took according to the NHL and the refs. I'm gonna go with them on this one.
Refs are not attributing who "drew" the penalty. It's a guy in a black suit in the press box, and it's a penalty committed against X player. It's extremely subjective if it means anything. Would have to go through case by case. But I digress, use whatever stats help you sleep at night.

Still think it's overpayment. Still would have preferred E Kane at less cost. But, I'll give the guy a chance.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
In the context of things, did we overpay for what Ryan Hartman brings to the table for this playoff run? Probably. Is it a bad deal for us? I don't think so.

A few thoughts...

If you are David Poile, and you are making a deadline trade, you are in the mindset that you are going to win the Stanley Cup. This means that you value your first round draft pick as pick #31. If you are exploring the possibility that this could be a pick under, say, 27, you are a loser with a loser's mentality.

Next year's 1st shouldn't factor in to our Cup window until much later. We're not talking about a top 10 pick. We're not talking about lucking into getting a Tolvanen. That's not normal. We're talking about someone spending at least a couple of years in Milwaukee before being able to scratch the surface.

Ryan Hartman is a known quantity. He is an NHL player. The 2018 1st round draft pick is neither of those. Ryan Hartman was pick #30. The hope is that the draft pick we gave for him is about the same. Ejdsell and a 4th are payment for him proving to be an actual NHLer, and our rights to sign him for the next several years.

Did we need to add a top 6 piece? The JoFA line has been doing their thing. The Turris line has been solid. Fiala is having a breakout year, and Smith seems to have regained his form. Could you bump one of them? Sure. But why? The beautiful thing about adding Turris is that it gave Nashville two dynamic scoring lines -- something difficult for other teams to shut down. Now you look at the depth scoring. Jarnkrok is having a great year. Bonino is starting to show his value. Sissons, Hartnell, and Watson are all showing flashes of their talent. But the picture is a bit less complete.

Hartman is a good no-pressure add to the bottom six that gives us some wing versatility. We can slot him on the 3rd or 4th. He's a gritty agitator that can take a McLeod/Tootoo type of role while also being more skilled offensively. This is important for us -- because we can really roll 4 dangerous lines that have different looks and skill sets. Think of how Detroit utilized the Draper-Maltby-McCarty line back in the day. I think it's important to team dynamics to be able to play different styles. That's one of the reasons we were so successful in last year's playoffs. Well...now we have more depth than last year at virtually every spot (other than the top line).

Hartman isn't a single piece that will put us over the top. But he's a great compliment to what is already a fantastic group.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Refs are not attributing who "drew" the penalty. It's a guy in a black suit in the press box, and it's a penalty committed against X player. It's extremely subjective if it means anything. Would have to go through case by case. But I digress, use whatever stats help you sleep at night.

Still think it's overpayment. Still would have preferred E Kane at less cost. But, I'll give the guy a chance.

Refs call the penalty, NFL officials attribute it to someone. It's subjective whether or not someone deserves a penalty that was called as well, maybe Hartman didn't "deserve" most of his. You'll also need to go through all of Hartman's penalties case-by-case to assess if he deserved them before you trash him for it too, I suppose. An NHL official attributes a penalty against someone, a penalty that was officially called by a ref. That's good enough for me. If it's just subjective to you and you know better, then more power to you, I guess.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Frankly if Poile could have found a better deal I'm sure he woukd have jumped on it. We often look at what other teams give and figure we could have gotten it for that, there is zero guarantee that is the truth.

Poile kept saying all anyone wanted was Tolvanen, and something tells me there is a team or two that took less just because they were dead set on getting him.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
This seems like a good of a place as any to remind people that back in November we were calling the Turris acquisition a "deadline type deal". Will Hartman put us over the top? Doubtful. Have we already made a move this season that will? Possibly. When you think about it, the Hartman move is more of a deal you might see early in the season, and the Turris one would be that kind of "blockbuster" at the deadline that we'd all be salivating over. Roles were kind of reversed for us this year, and we were left to just sorta tie up some loose ends because we set ourselves up to be in a contending position months ago. It leaves us looking like we didn't do a lot at the deadline, but that's because we did in November.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I woke up hoping I would feel better about the trade..... and I don't. We could of had tartar a player who scored 20 plus goals multiple years with way less talent around him. I hope I'm wrong but Vegas got alot better and I don't think we moved the needle

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I woke up hoping I would feel better about the trade..... and I don't. We could of had tartar a player who scored 20 plus goals multiple years with way less talent around him. I hope I'm wrong but Vegas got alot better and I don't think we moved the needle
I'm sorry but Tatar isn' going to make any team "a lot better" and they gave a lot for him and have his salary for several more years.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I know a lot of us wanted Tatar, but honestly did we ever play the Red Wings and worry about what Tatar was going to do? Did we ever think "Oh no, how can we stop Stastny?" When we played the Blues?

They're good players who will help their new teams but do they make Vegas and Winnipeg unbeatable? No.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I know a lot of us wanted Tatar, but honestly did we ever play the Red Wings and worry about what Tatar was going to do? Did we ever think "Oh no, how can we stop Stastny?" When we played the Blues?

They're good players who will help their new teams but do they make Vegas and Winnipeg unbeatable? No.
Never said unbeatable. But they got a proven 20 goal scorer with less talent on there team for a 1st 2nd and 3rd. And the picks are spread out through 3 years. Prior to this year he has been in the top 3 in points for the red wings the last 3 years. Players not named Zetterberg or datsyuk, tartar has been there best point producer. I think you guys are selling tartar short. Everyone has opinions and my opinion is the preds would of been a better team with tartar. I wouldn't be upset that tartar is gonna take starts away for sissions Watson or hartnell like Hartman is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad