Confirmed with Link: Hartman and 5th to Preds for Ejdsell, 1st and 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Until we start losing games, I'm not complaining. So far Hartman seems like a good addition.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
These moves might work out for everyone. Hartman seems like a great fit so far here, Aberg grabbed a primary assist in his Oilers debut, and Ejdsell probably has a better path to the NHL in Chicago. In other words, the type of trading that is synonymous with Poile.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I was originally skeptical but it's mostly because I didn't know him much if at all. Talking to Chicago fans I know, they hate the trade. Said he will be a great fit in Nashville for years.

So far so good.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville

He played almost 14 minutes at even strength. In his very first game with a new team. More even strength ice time than Stastny played for the Jets. Whatever some of you folks think he is, I think it's pretty clear Laviolette doesn't see him as a 4th liner.

He’s a great fit in Lavi’s system. I like this pickup more and more, because Poile could have picked up someone to play in our top 6, but instead he finds someone who is a great fit for the system, doesn’t disrupt the top 6 chemistry, and shows the top 6 guys that he is confident in their play. As a player, that means a lot. Think what type of message it sends to Fiala or Smith if we pickup Evander Kane and bump them down to the third line.

One thing that I heard on sports radio was that Poile and Lavy were probably very familiar with him from his days developing in USA hockey. They were interested in getting him during his draft year. So this is probably like a delayed draft. Get the player you want, after he proves himself. He costs a little more than he did originally....but we're basically paying for the cost of his development.

Again, Hartman is not the single, lethal piece that puts us over the top. He's a versatile piece that we can put anywhere. If we have injuries, he can literally fill almost any spot other than 1C or 2C. That depth will be key during our playoff run.

I like that he doesn't carry the same expectation that a higher level trade does. It doesn't f*** with chemistry the same way. We don't get asked why Rick Nash or Evander Kane is playing on X line instead of Y line.

If you look at the distribution of minutes, we don't play lines like most teams do. We roll 4. We are trying to create a matchup nightmare.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Looks like me saying that he's a 4th liner based on 1 game is a consensus to use against people who are against this trade value wise.

This board never ceases to amaze me.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If Hartnell wasn't scoring every game Hartman would probably be on the 3rd most of the time but I'm guessing Lavi isn't about to pull a guy that has been producing just to use the new toy.

teddyli

Feb 4, 2018
Looks like me saying that he's a 4th liner based on 1 game is a consensus to use against people who are against this trade value wise.

This board never ceases to amaze me.
I would agree that Hartman is not worth a first-round value, but I do think it is better than a rental. Who win/lose the trade would come clear from who's available when pred's pick come on the draft day.

Reactions: JustaFinnishGuy

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I would agree that Hartman is not worth a first-round value, but I do think it is better than a rental. Who win/lose the trade would come clear from who's available when pred's pick come on the draft day.

See, I think he is worth the first, because he' proven he can play in this league and he' proving he fits in well with our team. Hartman was a late 1st round pick and we traded a late first round pick plus some sweetener for him. I look at it as trading to skip the 5 years of development that would have been required had we kept our own pick.

teddyli

Feb 4, 2018
See, I think he is worth the first, because he' proven he can play in this league and he' proving he fits in well with our team. Hartman was a late 1st round pick and we traded a late first round pick plus some sweetener for him. I look at it as trading to skip the 5 years of development that would have been required had we kept our own pick.
My concern is that a future first round player has 3 years of ELC, which is "free" and don't take up any cap space during the time span(plus not available in expansion draft). Hartman is a proven first rounder, but not an extraordinary 30th pick player (yet), and he has spent 2 free years with the Hawks, thus IMO he is not worth a future first round at 30th. But if this draft is poor enough or Hawks make a dumb selection, Hawks might lose this trade.

teddyli

Feb 4, 2018
And we would win this trade by getting Hartman a Jarnkrok-esque extension and winning the cup, plus maybe, dealing with the Seattle expension draft smoothly

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Hartman won't cost much to resign. It will bridge contract as I doubt we give him a long term deal yet.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
My concern is that a future first round player has 3 years of ELC, which is "free" and don't take up any cap space during the time span(plus not available in expansion draft). Hartman is a proven first rounder, but not an extraordinary 30th pick player (yet), and he has spent 2 free years with the Hawks, thus IMO he is not worth a future first round at 30th. But if this draft is poor enough or Hawks make a dumb selection, Hawks might lose this trade.

The trade off is that some late 1sts never even make it. He' still and RFA and thus we can sign him to a reasonable deal this summer.

And I also hate the idea of someone having to "win" a trade. That' not a stat I've ever seen nor a trophy that's ever been awarded. Nobody has a "trade deadline winner" banner hanging in their rafters. The other team doesn't have to lose for the trade to have been good for us.

Last edited:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The 1st doesn't help us this season and likely doesn't help us either of the next 2 seasons when we're in prime win now mode. Hartman will likely be here the next few years, and it's not like we're talking some extreme overpay scenario that puts the future in jeopardy, so I'm not sure what all of the fuss is about.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Hartman is a 4th liner...on this stacked team. On an average team he's a 3rd pushing to 2nd line. On the the 4th line he's being compared to a combo of Salomaki and Jarnkrok. Which is awesome. I'm getting a hint he will fill the Hornqvist sized hole in the roster.

Aardvarksson

gif spammer
Apr 21, 2017
Nashville
I would agree that Hartman is not worth a first-round value

Based on what? Certainly not his on-ice performance for the Preds because it's been stellar. Players change teams and excel all the time. Until we see otherwise I don't know how anyone can say he's not worth a (very late) first.

Reactions: predhead1

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Based on what? Certainly not his on-ice performance for the Preds because it's been stellar. Players change teams and excel all the time. Until we see otherwise I don't know how anyone can say he's not worth a (very late) first.
You have a bad case of "what have you done for me lately". A 30 point career player shouldn't be worth a 1st and a prospect as a rental even if they are a RFA. We paid premium for trading in division.

It's a bad value deal but it's working. Those 2 things aren't mutually exclusive. Case and point Oilers Hall/Larsson trade, where Edmonton traded a top 10 LW for a 2nd pair defenseman and still managed to flourish without Hall. You simply do not win or lose trades in the first 2 games after the trade.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
You have a bad case of "what have you done for me lately". A 30 point career player shouldn't be worth a 1st and a prospect as a rental even if they are a RFA. We paid premium for trading in division.

It's a bad value deal but it's working. Those 2 things aren't mutually exclusive. Case and point Oilers Hall/Larsson trade, where Edmonton traded a top 10 LW for a 2nd pair defenseman and still managed to flourish without Hall. You simply do not win or lose trades in the first 2 games after the trade.

A career 30 point player? His career is one season so far. And he's on pace for 38 points over 82 games this year with zero PP time and averaging under 13:00 per game. And you're accusing someone else of being short sighted? The guy only plays at even strength, so you can only evaluate him at even strength. Do you know where his 27 even strength points put him on this team? Tied for 3rd, with fewer games played and less icetime than everyone tied with or ahead of him. Just sayin'...

And the Oilers got absolutely wrecked in that trade, it is not a good example.

Reactions: Aardvarksson

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
This was a hockey trade, not a rental. IMO, win/loss shouldn't really be judged until a few years down the road when we have some perspective.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010

Watching Hartman these past 2 games tells anyone bothering to look just exactly why he was worth a very late 1st to Poile and Lavy. He's another energizer bunny-type player like Arvy with a grinder-grit mentality who also has a pretty great set of mitts. Those are extremely valuable traits to have on a perennial Cup contender (which NSH should be for several more years). Him being a controllable RFA contract just sealed the deal. That's a win every time under these circumstances.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
A career 30 point player? His career is one season so far. And he's on pace for 38 points over 82 games this year with zero PP time and averaging under 13:00 per game. And you're accusing someone else of being short sighted? The guy only plays at even strength, so you can only evaluate him at even strength. Do you know where his 27 even strength points put him on this team? Tied for 3rd, with fewer games played and less icetime than everyone tied with or ahead of him. Just sayin'...

And the Oilers got absolutely wrecked in that trade, it is not a good example.
It is the perfect example of a bad trade gone well. Don't get how that is controversial. Larsson helped them more than Hall did at that point in time. And everyone knew that he trade was really bad.

Hartman has some potential in him for sure but that deal isn't good if you have to dig for his positive sides. Those same 'qualities' are in so many 30ish point-getters. See all the other 3rd liners in the league who do the exact same, you'll see your points repeated. He isn't worth what he was traded for but has upside to change that. You act like I'm set on him and not accepting that the situation may change.

His 27 points weren't with the Preds and he didn't contribute to our success. You can't draw a line and just say that he's one of OUR top players. Why do PP points also not matter all of the sudden? Go on and ask around the league if you'd rather have a player who posts 30-40 points on 5 on 5 or a player who pots 20 more because of power play points. 5 on 5 points are glorified for no real reason.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Watching Hartman these past 2 games tells anyone bothering to look just exactly why he was worth a very late 1st to Poile and Lavy. He's another energizer bunny-type player like Arvy with a grinder-grit mentality who also has a pretty great set of mitts. Those are extremely valuable traits to have on a perennial Cup contender (which NSH should be for several more years). Him being a controllable RFA contract just sealed the deal. That's a win every time under these circumstances.
Anyone in the NHL can look like the perfect fit for any team in a 2 game span. Cmon.
It's not like I'm saying he's bad, I'm saying that he shouldn't have gone for what he did.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
It is the perfect example of a bad trade gone well. Don't get how that is controversial. Larsson helped them more than Hall did at that point in time. And everyone knew that he trade was really bad.

Hartman has some potential in him for sure but that deal isn't good if you have to dig for his positive sides. Those same 'qualities' are in so many 30ish point-getters. See all the other 3rd liners in the league who do the exact same, you'll see your points repeated. He isn't worth what he was traded for but has upside to change that. You act like I'm set on him and not accepting that the situation may change.

His 27 points weren't with the Preds and he didn't contribute to our success. You can't draw a line and just say that he's one of OUR top players. Why do PP points also not matter all of the sudden? Go on and ask around the league if you'd rather have a player who posts 30-40 points on 5 on 5 or a player who pots 20 more because of power play points. 5 on 5 points are glorified for no real reason.
I don’t see anyone having to dig for positives with him- they are what they are

And you sound like all those people who last year were saying Jarnkrok was a dime a dozen player who could easily be replaced.

Wasn’t true with him and I don’t think it’s going to be true with Hartman either.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Anyone in the NHL can look like the perfect fit for any team in a 2 game span. Cmon.
It's not like I'm saying he's bad, I'm saying that he shouldn't have gone for what he did.
To a Cup contending division foe? Of course he was going to cost. I'm just saying that it wasn't as big of a reach as you are making it out to be.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
poile knows the draft class. poile knows where we will probably be drafting. i trust poile's judgement here. while i agree you certainly cann't tell much of anything from a two game sample, i have zero problem with this deal for depth this year and as a possible replacement for hartnell next year. to me it just makes hockey sense when you are a team in our position.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
poile knows the draft class. poile knows where we will probably be drafting. i trust poile's judgement here. while i agree you certainly cann't tell much of anything from a two game sample, i have zero problem with this deal for depth this year and as a possible replacement for hartnell next year. to me it just makes hockey sense when you are a team in our position.

Yep- if this season was our last good chance at a Cup and our window was closing I might feel differently. But that is far from the case- if anything I think we could be even better next year if Tolvanen becomes a top 6 guy.

So Hartman will likely have even more value NEXT year than this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->