Confirmed with Link: Hartley Fired Discuss (also Cloutier)

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
I remember hearing an interview with Treliving at the end of the season and basically saying that the Flames need to change their system to be more of a possession type team and I was wondering how that was going to go if Hartley would have to completely revamp the way he's been coaching for the last 4 seasons. Well I guess this answers my question.

Seems like coaches only have a short window now before they lose players and from what seems to be talked about now, it sounds like Hartley was starting to lose some of the room. Best to do it now have Hartley there to start of the season and have to fire him part way through. I think this move is best for the Flames and even for Hartley. Gives the Flames a coach that will be there through training camp on and gives Hartley a chance to find something else before the start of the season as well. Starts off everyone fresh.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It's worth noting at this time; Bob Hartley was not Treliving's guy.

Nor was he Burkie's. If I recall correctly, the chain of events were:

Feaster hired Hartley
Burke came on board
Feaster was fired
Treliving was hired and Burke let Treliving make the call on coaching. At the time Hartley had one year left on his contract so they decided to ride it out to see what would happen and he ended up making the playoffs.

On 960 it was just stated:
"A lot of the players didn't like him."

Yeah, then they're really not going to like Bruce Boudreau.

I'm gonna miss his sound bites hahaha

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
He seems to coach by intimidation and I don't think that will work long term in the nhl
Not only that, but they'd go from one crap possession coach to another. Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Same is true for Carlyle (another potential option).

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Why not? His success at the Junior level is unparraleled. He got one year in the NHL, made it to the second round and got fired because Ovechkin didn't like him.

A lot of Jr coaches use bullying tactics and intimidation to get the best out of their players. Doesn't usually work that well, especially in this new NHL. IIRC that was the story with B. Sutter as well.

I was genuinely surprised, I thought they'd give him another half year at least, but it makes sense if he was losing the room, cut ties and move on. 4 years is a solid amount of time for a coach, all the best to Hartley in his future endeavours, off to MTL you go!

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
With Boudreau comes the Game 7 and Quarterfinal elimination curses :sarcasm:

Its more so a game 7 and blowing a 3-2 series lead than a quarter final elimination.

I mean, the Ducks made the WCF last year (lost to the eventual Champs in 7 games), made it to the semi finals the year before that (lost to the eventual champs in 7 games), lost to Detroit in 7 games in the first round.

Considering how many teams DON'T make it past the first round each year (nearly 75% of the league) their track record isn't awful for getting out of the first round.

I would take losing in game 7 of the playoffs at this point because it means we MADE it to the playoffs.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
in 50 minutes

giphy.gif

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Boudreau probably goes to Ottawa because he has his family there. Any NCAA coaches that could take the jump next year like Dave Hakstol?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
fan960 playing ONYX's Slam, it's sad that they play better than any station in Lethbridge

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think it's definitely a case of a coach that they want to get being available. The timing doesn't make sense for an internal audit IMO.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Boudreau probably goes to Ottawa because he has his family there. Any NCAA coaches that could take the jump next year like Dave Hakstol?
Yes. Jim Montgomery. I would be very happy if it was him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad