Confirmed with Link: Hartley Fired Discuss (also Cloutier)

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Really surprised about this. They must have a new coach in mind, maybe even an agreement with one.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
On 960 it was just stated:
"A lot of the players didn't like him."

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Surprised given the goaltending this year they would do this.

That might also be on Hartley as well for poorly managing the situation at the beginning. You have to know that sitting one guy you're starting for a month and a half, and then throwing him to the wolves won't work well.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
I'm not too surprised, Boudreau firing is probably a big catalyst. Another thing that I think I read t the end of year interviews was that Treliving thought our systems need changing and in another interview Hartley said there is nothing wrong with the systems. Something had to give. Hopefully whoever comes in will institute a system that holds people to account for poor defensive zone coverage, this year was very poor, save for a few guys. Even Gaudreau I think took a large step back defensively, I remember all his lifted stick defensive pay last year but don't recall seeing it at all this season?

Hopefully it is a quick hire, fully expect a deal may already be agreed to with someone which made this firing happen when it did.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm a little surprised.

Although Hartley wasn't the current administration's hire, he definitely won a lot of people over with the play of the team last season. It's difficult to put all of the blame on him for this season, but the carousel of goalies, the horrid special teams, and the (recent) news that players may not have liked him (and certain players up for contract renewals) it's tough not to see the writing on the wall.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
My only fear is Carlyle or Wilson. They have a direct line to Burkie.
No idea who we go with, Bruce Boudreau is the big fish out there. Maybe the return of Guy Boucher?

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Is it the first time a Jack Adams winner is canned the following season? I'm sure Ottawa will welcome the Ontario native.

I doubt it, as a Sens fan our issues are more defensively. The defensive structure of the Sens was God awful, even the oilers aren't as bad as us defensively. From what I read no way should we consider him.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Is it the first time a Jack Adams winner is canned the following season? I'm sure Ottawa will welcome the Ontario native.

Paul MacLean was given a year and a half. Most guys who have won it over the past half decade are gone or on the hot seat :laugh:

It's why that award is a joke.

imapylon

Mar 6, 2016
I'm surprised by this, thought that the Flames would give him another year. Figured the Flames would try and get some goaltending and see what he can do with it.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
I didn't like how he handled goalies and flip flopping instead of giving someone a chance to play after a loss. The Goalies did suck though in his defense.

I'm going to miss his interviews the most.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Have been calling this move since December.

Boudreau would be my first choice. The Flames really need a coach that can have the PP and PK in the top 10.

Aside from that the Flames have the D-core to be among the leagues best with a better tactics.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
A tad surprised they didn't give him at least the first few months of next season to right the ship but I guess there is someone out there they really want.

We jokingly said we were gonna go after Boudreau. Doesn't look as much like a joke now does it.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Paul MacLean was given a year and a half. Most guys who have won it over the past half decade are gone or on the hot seat :laugh:

It's why that award is a joke.

Or the award is given to the coach who tends to get his team to over perform one year and that builds expectations above what they should be?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If not Boudreau, then Kevin Dineen of the Blackhawks would be my #2 choice. Hunter from the Knights would be good too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad