Confirmed with Link: Hartley Fired Discuss (also Cloutier)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The PP improved significantly in 2016 and big part of the reason why was replacing Wideman with Hamilton. And the only person that gets credit for that is Wideman.

When he hit the bench, first words were "this is for you Dougie."

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Yes, the Flames were supposed to be Oilers bad for the duration of the Engelland contract. Then boom, two elite/franchise players appear out of nowhere and your 6th overall guy that you figured was just ready to play in the NHL but wouldn't be super great ends up being the best pick in his draft (at least for the first few years). The Flames definitely weren't prepared for the great fortune they found with Brodie and Gaudreau.

I need a new avatar :(

Not to derail, but I could see Hartley landing in Ottawa.

I think he'd be a perfect fit in Montreal in Bergevin would get his head out of his butt

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I need a new avatar :(

Not to derail, but I could see Hartley landing in Ottawa.

My Tobias avatar stands the test of time ;) jokes.

Hartley will land somewhere. I thinks it's fair to think he might also sit a year and then join Montréal next season.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't get why you keep any coaches after you've decided the head coach should go, give the new coach his own guys. Not that keeping an assistant now means he can't be let go later just seems a little strange to remove part of the coaching staff and not all.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don't get why you keep any coaches after you've decided the head coach should go, give the new coach his own guys. Not that keeping an assistant now means he can't be let go later just seems a little strange to remove part of the coaching staff and not all.

I think they are retained until the new coach decides what he wants to do with them. They are likely still on payroll. No sense getting rid of them if you have to pay them anyway.

My guess is Sigalet is gone. Same with Gelinas. Goaltending and special teams weren't good enough

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

I imagine they see potential in those two to succeed in different roles.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Hartley wasn't fired simply because the team struggled last season, or even during most of his tenure. He was fired because he and Treliving didn't see eye-to-eye on the future style of play. Hartley wasn't willing to adapt and work with his superior, so he's out the door. The poor season simply gave Treliving the optical advantage; it's a lot easier to sell firing a coach of the 5th worst team in the league.

Treliving wants a strong defensive system built around puck possession aka the basic fundamentals of successful teams in the modern NHL. Hartley on the other hand, wanted to keep a defensive system that focused on keeping the opposition to the outside but giving them all the time and space in the world to set up, more shot blocking and it can be assumed, continued reliance on the stretch pass.

Believe it or not, Treliving would have likely pulled the trigger last year, or rather simply refused to give Hartley an extension, had the team not so unexpectedly defied the odds. But either way, Hartley was never going to be the coach of the future, and that's been evident for a very long time now.

Treliving was already supposed to be in Europe but the exit interviews on the season were just completed this last week. Many analysts have pointed out that those interviews were rumored to being not very complimentary to Bob. Like a proper manager, Treliving put his commitments on hold to deal with the pressing issue this caused.

Management was already examining Bob's future but those interviews hastened the decision making process. Brad eluded to that in the press conference today.

The long and short of it becomes that Hartley had lost the dressing room. Most fans should be happy come next season as at least there will be a coach the team can rally around.

Hartley was a poor tactician and when the other clubs figured ways to counter Calgary's offense Bob had no answers. Add to that a poor defensive tactics and his boat was sunk.

Going forward the next coach will be required to be a above average tactician offensively and defensively. Look for the strongly structured coaches.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If only Bob could stretch pass his way out of being fired. Except all Tree would have to do is bog down the neutral zone and he could hold onto his firing allllll night.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
gary lawless ‏@garylawless

Calling around and keep hearing the name Kevin Dineen as a strong candidate for #nhlflames gig
I will say again what I said in the thread on the NHL board.

Lawless couldn't find a scopp if it was in his pail of ice cream

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Interesting few notes from Brian Burke's interview with PrimeTime Sports:

- Hartley was not fired just because of this one poor season since it'd be unfair to him, he led them to a great season before.

- It was rather because they believed that the style of play didn't match the players they had since Hartley's system requires bigger, stronger players to back it up. They believe in establishing more puck possession while playing truculent.

- They are not looking only at coaches with NHL experience, they are very open to looking at young coaches from junior, college, and the AHL. Said every coach in the HoF was a rookie somewhere, and they're there because someone gave them a chance.

- Brad Treliving was the only candidate on Burke's list when he was hired, so he was the only one interviewed for the job (when asked about the number of coaches Burke had on his list before, which he answered that he never had more than 2, but it's Treliving's job to hire the coach)

- Saw Mangiapane play and thinks he has a chance of being an NHL player. Completely different player than Gaudreau, he plays like a "rat" and is a "sneaky little b****rd", competes hard for pucks and the puck follows him. Skating could improve.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I really enjoyed the Burkie interview yesterday. I like his thoughts regards always hiring and scouting coaches and hockey people.

I like his thoughts on the Bread Eater, I think most of us get lost in the fact he put up ridiculous numbers. The guy's a Byron with hands at this point of time than a Gaudreau.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So the names linked to Calgary's new coach include (so far)

Kevin Dineen (Gary Lawless)
Randy Carlyle (Renaud Levoie)
Bruce Boudreau (Eric Francis - speculation and/or naming best coach available)

Did I miss anyone?

Edit: on a side note, Colin Patterson was in the McDonald's drive-thru raising money for Ronald McDonald House Charity this morning. We chatted briefly about the Hartley firing, and I can confirm that he's not interested in the job. :D

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
google translate of the tweet

With the departure of Bob Hartley , Randy Carlyle is one of the candidates who will meet with the #flames
8:52 AM - 4 May 2016

Colour me unimpressed if we hire Randy Carlyle

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

With the departure of Bob Hartley , Randy Carlyle is one of the candidates who will meet with the #flames

I'll repeat what I said on the main boards - just because Carlyle is a candidate does not mean Treliving will hire him. When there's a vacancy, everyone is a candidate. We all know that Treliving is a guy who does his homework before making a decision, so while the thought of Carlyle even being considered does make me a little bit nervous, I know that this is probably more a case of Treliving exploring every single option available to him. Doesn't mean he's gonna hire the first guy to walk in the door though.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Not surprised he is getting a look, I really don't want him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad